Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, nice board!!! found it searching for info on this topic, read through the cam install thread and didn't quite find what i was needing to find out....lol

well, i aquired an sv that supposedly skipped time???
the guy said he was riding a wheelie and set it down, went to pick up the other one and it didn't have as much power and wouldn't pick it up...well, he said he thought it might be the timing etc...

well, i pulled off the valve covers and checked tdc on both cylinders, the front seems to be where the noise is coming from, kind of a rattling noise?? (but it does still run which leads me to believe that it didn't bend any valves etc)...anyways...well, i checked out the front cylinder @ tdc and the little lines on the insides of the ends of the came lined up horizontally with the top of the head......i did the same thing to the rear cylinder and @ tdc they didn't line up they both seemed to be off the same amount @ tdc....
my questions are, what are the timing designations on the crank (through the timing hole and where are they suppose to correspond to the markings on the cam sprockets???
thanks,
-matt

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Let's just say that.... I'm pretty sure you just got hosed.... The SV is notorious for spinning it's front bearing from extended wheelies. The oil pick up is up front and not out back so during prolonged one tire riding... the front bearing doesn't get lubed.

I'm sure your cam timing is right... they just don't "jump." Drop the oil and cut apart the filter. You should see some nice little shards of bearing in there....

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'll go check it out,...lol..i'm actually more the stunter than he is...i really don't think his wheelies were that long.....we're talking about maybe 100 yards or something...i'll go take some pics...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i took some pics of the rear cylinder...here it is @ tdc measured with the super screwdriver measuring device...lol...

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
You need a manual. It will show you how to check the cam timing. I'm thinking you aren't in the right spot.

There's a plug (use a larger allen wrench to get it out) and then another allen plug (8mm) that is a window in which you can see markings on the rotor. You turn the motor CCW (never CW) and need to align the R mark with the window mark.

Using the screw driver I think is not letting it get to the actual mark the Suzuki measures it at.

With the screw driver, are both valves closed??? Clearance under the cam lobes? Which way are the cam lobes facing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i took a look at the window and the r is lined up...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, let me just clarify, the r was lined up @ tdc and in those pics..

G

·
avc8130 said:
If you are checking cam timing you dont want the R. You want the F. You set the front with the F and then rotate 360 and set the rear with the F. You could set it with the R...but I dont know the positions for that.
ac
correct,both cylinders cam timing is checked on F mark,1 rotation away.
looks about right with R mark.if you move it forward from there to mark F lines will align.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
yea... what they said about the "F" ;)

Read the cam swap thread some more, it's got whatchu need.

+1 for shreaded bearing... I'd check the oil for "Shiney Babbit Bits" ASAP.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Maybe I should read my crap more often.... ;D

Yeah, the F mark is for timing, the R is for valve check... Goes to show how "good" my memory is...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, well, that makes sense than....the r is at tdc, whereas the f is elsewhere....which means....i guess that....the rear cylinder IS in time and the front cylinder ISN'T in time...because the front cylinder lined up @ tdc...so it must be the one that's off...

G

·
matt-tastic said:
ok, well, that makes sense than....the r is at tdc, whereas the f is elsewhere....which means....i guess that....the rear cylinder IS in time and the front cylinder ISN'T in time...because the front cylinder lined up @ tdc...so it must be the one that's off...
they are both in time.
turn crank so F mark lines up.check front.than turn crank for one revolution and line up F again.check rear.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
donniej said:
......+1 for shreaded bearing... I'd check the oil for "Shiney Babbit Bits" ASAP. 

Dude, drop the valve timing lead for a minute and check your oil filter fer crissakes. How does an modern engine "jump" timing anyway?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okokok...lol...all of you were right...lol....timing is in sync.....i checked the oil and filter...the oil didn't have any shiny bits, shavings, or chunks...filter looked like a regular one would....replaced oil...rode it up the rode..no noise...got warm and got it back....it started making noise again???pulled the bolt out of the top of the tensioner and nothing came out?? so i put it back in?? i thought there was suppose to be a spring in there???? well, anyways....is that normal?? now i'm starting to wonder what in the world it is...the starter solenoid is out and i guess functions intermittently??? but this wouldnt' account for the loss of power??? i'm clueless however, i've never experienced the loss of power, just the noise from the front left side???

G

·
matt-tastic said:
okokok...lol...all of you were right...lol....timing is in sync.....i checked the oil and filter...the oil didn't have any shiny bits, shavings, or chunks...filter looked like a regular one would....replaced oil...rode it up the rode..no noise...got warm and got it back....it started making noise again???pulled the bolt out of the top of the tensioner and nothing came out?? so i put it back in?? i thought there was suppose to be a spring in there???? well, anyways....is that normal?? now i'm starting to wonder what in the world it is...the starter solenoid is out and i guess functions intermittently??? but this wouldnt' account for the loss of power??? i'm clueless however, i've never experienced the loss of power, just the noise from the front left side???
you may be losing one cylinder

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya, but if that were the case wouldn't the compression be going south??? it seems to be good?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts