Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago I rode my SV home and stopped to say hello to a friend. I cut power to the engine, but left the lights on for 5 minutes. Standing next to the bike I noticed the lights shut off and they wouldn’t turn on when started. Additionally, the high beams indicator disappeared as well.

I checked the fuses and found both high and low beam fuses blown. Upon replacement, they blew again immediately... twice.

So far I have:

- Checked headlight bulbs for damage - none (they are aftermarket LED with lower
power draw than OG bulbs)
  • Checked voltage at high beam fuse - 12V
  • Checked voltage at low beam fuse - 0V
  • Taken apart and cleaned both right and left hand switch controls
I have looked over multiple wiring diagrams with some understanding. It seems that the problem may stem from wiring in the harness after when the lights and high beam indicator converge.

I’ve lifted the tank, but didn’t venture to remove the air box to get deeper into the harness. I understand a 10 pin connector has been the culprit for others on this forum and I believe it’s below the air box. Worth it to do so?

I’m no mechanic and electrical is not my strong suit, so I humbly ask for help. I’d love to avoid taking to a shop and paying for service.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dove into attempted diagnosis of the wiring harness and removed the air box today. Upon examination, all connections looked great without any signs of wear.

I’m back to square one - perhaps I need to review the integrity of the right hand controls? I understand there’s a contact within that can misbehave and cut power to the headlights and high beam indicator. But why am I blowing both fuses every time I switch the electrical system on?

Another thought: buy and install new OG headlight bulbs after replacing the fuses (for the 4th time).

Any advice is welcome. Even a gruff nudge in the right direction.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Look for a chafed wire. Common pinch points include: where the wiring passes through the frame, where the wiring goes between the frame and forks, and where the wiring could rub inside the headlamp housing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts