Another GSXR Fork Swap, etc. - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Apollo1777
Supporting Member

Bikes: 02 SVS Candy Blue
Miles Kms: day-dreaming about living someplace WARM, motorcycling, work, nursing...
Send a message via AIM to Apollo1777
Another GSXR Fork Swap, etc.

... and the issues that I've come up across (and am in the process of working around...).

I was shocked when someone actually asked ME how I did my fork swap, thinking that I really didn't do much out of the ordinary with it.... Once you wrap your noggin around everything, it pretty much is just a bolt-and-go operation!

But, I did come across a few small snags that seem to plague most everyone when they do their swap... I originally typed this as a .DOC file, but it was 48MB with the pictures, and not a single email application could handle it. haha... So, here goes. (Without pictures for now, because apparently photobucket decided NOW is a good time to work on their website.)

Old 02-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
Apollo1777
Supporting Member

Miles Kms: day-dreaming about living someplace WARM, motorcycling, work, nursing...
Re: Another GSXR Fork Swap, etc.

First the background: I bought a complete 01 GSXR750 front end (minus wheel/rotors/fender) for only $250 shipped on WERA's website. I was excited, because it also included the ignition, controls, clip-ons, damper... everything!

After it finally arrived and I got a good, close look at it, I noticed some parts that had some wear-and-tear on them that bothered me. So, I ordered a new dust seal, new steering locknuts, new steering stem locknut & washer, and some various new bolts. I sold some of the used GSXR parts and other parts I didn't need (ignition w/key, clutch cable & housing, throttle cable & housing).

I found a well taken care of 01 GSXR750 front wheel, with rotors on SVRider, and I also found an 01-03 front fender for very cheap on the WEAR forum (I think it was about $35-40 shipped!)

So, I was on my merry way gathering parts for the swap, spending MUCH more than I had anticipated… I also decided that all the key-fob scratches in the upper triple needed to go bye-bye and I had it powdercoated raven black. It turned out great, and I’m eventually going to get the lower triple done by the same guys…

Well, after some more research, I discovered that “newer is better” with the GSXR fork swap, and after seeing more pictures of the radial GSXR’s on the SV, I REALLY liked the look of the 04/05 front end.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
Apollo1777
Supporting Member

So, up for sale the 01 forks and calipers & lines went! KurtSV is now the proud owner of those things, and I found some cheap 04GSXR600 forks on eBay. (04-05 GSXR750-600 are both set up exactly the same so I’ve forgotten exactly which forks I have. LOL).

OFF TO CALIFORNIA!! BYE BYE!!

So, now I’ve got my radial forks, found some radial GSXR calipers… BUT, I’ve got the 01 GSXR front wheel, complete with 320mm rotors. D’oh! The rotors are too large by 10mm for the 04/05 forks… Well, I wish I knew at the time( because those rotors looked mint!), and NOTE TO OTHERS: I could have used Zoran’s spacers and used some spiffy R1/R6 calipers with the 320mm rotors!!! Oh well, live and learn!! I ended up selling the 320mm rotors and buying some 300mm rotors, so I can use the stock 04/05 calipers.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
Apollo1777
Supporting Member

Swap so far is looking good! Everything bolts up nicely, looks good… Oh, wait. Ick! I noticed that the 01 GSXR front axle has a male socket-head instead of the 04/05 which has a female head. Well, that won’t do!! I sold the 01 GSXR axle, and bought myself a nice, shiny 04/05 axle so it will be flush with the forks (and, it will also accept some fork sliders – which I don’t have yet. Haha) And now, I need to buy 2 new tools: a 24mm axle tool… Well, they have these aluminum 24mm hex-things on eBay for cheap, so I got one of those, and I discovered that 24mm is exactly the same as 15/16” so I bought a SAE socket set from Wal-Mart. Another tip: someone else discovered that at Home Depot they sell a 15/16” “coupler” for less than $2 intended to link two threaded rods. The threads on the inside are no big whoop, as you only need the thing because it’s a perfect 24mm hex! (EDIT: I was going through my pictures, and I forgot that I found the second picture of a home-made front axle tool on the GIXXER forums... The picture is labeled "24MM" but I'm 100% sure you could do just fine with a 15/16"!)

Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
Apollo1777
Supporting Member

Now, the final puzzle: how to fix the speedo!? Well, Jim has made himself scarce a long while ago since he sold his SV, but if you can get a hold of him, I believe he still makes his speedo kits… If not, there are plenty of different write-ups that do exactly the same thing using probably cheaper material! Sweet. Figured that out. But, I didn’t really want to solder the speedo yet, because well I have NO idea how to solder, nor do I have access to one… Amazon.com to the rescue, with a Weller WLC100 soldering iron and some Helping Hands!

I practiced on some crappy wire I had lying around, and got pretty comfortable at it. It is WAY easier than I had thought! I then proceeded to replace my (not-yet faulty) stock Regulator/Rectifier with an 07 GSXR 2-plug, 7-wire (4 live, 3 ground) assembly… I didn’t take a picture of it, but it turned out very nicely. I shrink-wrapped all the wires, and I used the stock SV’s plug so I didn’t even have to modify the wiring harness! The stock SV’s has only 5 wires (2 live, 3 ground). I guess the GSXR has a redundant system where it has 4 hot wires (2 black/red & 2 black/white), and 3 black ground wires. Well, the wiring is as simple as it sounds…. 2 GSXR black/red to the 1 SV black/red plug position, 2 GSXR black/white to the 1 SV black/white position, and the 3 GSXR ground to the 3 SV ground (doesn’t matter what spots the ground wires go into). Voila!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 AM   #6
Apollo1777
Supporting Member

Anyway, back to the speedo fix! I decided that I would cut the speedo off about ½” from the mechanism so I would have TONS of wiring to cut & screw up if I made a mistake… I decided that instead of soldering the speedo, I would use something to just temporarily splice the wires together to make sure everything was Kosher, and so it would not be a permanent soldering disaster. I used some Posi-Lock weatherproof, reusable connecters, and they’re still on the bike! They held up like a champ, and it 100% survived a trip through some of the wettest weather I have EVER been through on the 6-hour bike trip to the wacky inaugural Indianapolis MotoGP (normally a 3-hour ride, yes a 3-hour ride! lol.)
Sorry, I don’t have many pictures of my speedo-fix, because it was pretty standard, and I hate getting into a groove just to stop and take pictures. Argh! (EDIT: I have the original "Jim's Speedo Kit" writeup saved as a word document with his pictures. If you want me to email it to you, PM me your email. )
Here’s the wiring for a 2002.
code: SV SENSOR WIRE HALL EFFECT WIRE
  1. 12V Orange/Red → Brown
  2. 6V Black/White → Blue
  3. Signal Pink → Black

EDIT: You can see where I mounted the sensor to the fender, tucked in front of the brake caliper. You can also spy the magnets in the 300mm rotor... Hmmm... Those bright gold calipers scream "BLING" to me.... I think I'm gonna change them to the Yamaha silver calipers. In the background you can see the Inaugural Indianapolis MotoGP poster on the wall. Oh, and yes I have a couch in my garage!! LOL It's too snowy and salty right now to put the carpet and padding down, but when it stops snowing here....
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
Apollo1777
Supporting Member

So, now that I FINALLY had all the parts (had to order fender bolts, and buy plastic spacers & washers for the 01 fender to fit perfectly on the 04/05 forks, had to order new caliper bolts, bought new 7.5 wt fork oil for a quick refresh, new brake pads just in case these ones sucked, new grips in case I couldn’t use the stock SV’s, and various other stuff I’m sure I’ve completely forgotten about). So, theoretically, all I had to do was bolt everything right on…!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
Apollo1777
Supporting Member

Well, I didn’t have the KomodoDraggin steering tool to torque everything down to spec, and acer66 was kind enough to lend me his… Although, I think the post office LOST the thing, because it finally got to my door (from CA to IL in about 11 days!!) and the box it was packed in had almost completely fallen apart. I shipped it back to him in a MUCH nicer box. Since it was August and the weather was perfect out, I was getting antsy in my pantsy to get the swap done, so after 8 days of waiting, I got impatient and I ordered my own tool from KomotoDraggin. Ironically, it arrived in the mail the same day as acer66’s did. Hahaha. Oh well, now I can take the thing apart whenever I want!

As a FYI: for the 00-03 GSXR750 top steering nut, you’ll also need a 32mm socket….

Add another tool to the toolbox! Arruu Ruuh Ruuh!!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
Apollo1777
Supporting Member

Well, Now to the well known issues that I came across:
  1. With the 01-03 GSXR lower triple, you lose the steering stops. The GSXR is in the COMPLETELY wrong spot to do a 1st Gen any good. (Need to fix that... more later.)
  2. I was trying to avoid paying more money out my nose, so I decided to give the stock GSXR clip-ons the old college-go and hope it wouldn’t hit my ¼ fairing.. (No luck. They rub all right, and it woulda rubbed a hole in my fairing if I let it! More later…)
  3. This issue I never heard about: the clutch cable’s elbow was bent at an unsightly angle (and almost right after I finished the install I was having a SUPER hard time with the clutch pull). Before I heard about Andy Yauger’s Clutch Mantra, I just decided that I would eliminate the huge bend in the clutch cable’s elbow by using a $20 pipe-bender from Sears… Until I saw that Zoran sells a Motion Pro clutch cable with a VERY short elbow for only $28. (I’m in the process of swapping the clutch cable out… more later…).
Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 AM   #10
Apollo1777
Supporting Member

More later when photobucket is up and running, and I get some sleep (it's 2am!).