New R6 Front Fork Mod for Gen 1 SV650 with Captured Spacer Kit - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
SV Racing Parts
Supporting Vendor

Bikes: SV650 Gen 1 Race, SV650 Gen 2, Gladius, SV650 Gen 3
Miles Kms: Way more than I thought possible
Thumbs up New R6 Front Fork Mod for Gen 1 SV650 with Captured Spacer Kit

Hi Everyone; I just finished a front fork conversion project for my Generation One, 2001 SV650s.

In conjunction with my machinist engineers, and my race bike suspension tuner and engine builder, I have taken a stock set of 43mm 99 - 02 Yamaha R6 front forks, brakes and wheels and bolted them directly to my 2001 SV650 with great results.

What I did was have the machine shop designers rework the stock upper and lower triples to accept the R6 forks directly by machining them out 2mm overall. The actual equivalent of 1mm all the way around, barely noticeable.

I then had them design a SV Racing Parts, Quick Change Captured Spacer Kit to realign and center the R6 wheel and calipers.

That way I could directly bolt the existing brake lines to the R6 calipers and basically be done and ready for the track, or street if you do the alternate speedo mod, and have a fully adjustable set of cartridge forks, while retaining all the benefits of the stock triples in terms of steering locks, controls, ignition, etc.

I simply swapped my 41mm clip-ons for 43 mm clip-ons.

99 -02 R6 forks and wheels are plentiful and reasonable inexpensive to acquire and the wheels were really easy to locate and acquire,sis the R6 front fender.

I am expecting be basically net zero once I sell off my stock gen one front forks, wheel, rotors, calipers, and fender.

I had 10 Spacer Kits made up and I am using 3 of them for my 3 sets of track front wheels, (Race Rains, Race DOT, and Race Slicks),

The other 7 sets are available to forum members who would like to do this simple upgrade to R6 forks and brakes for your generation one bikes.

I looked at the GSXR upgrade myself but found it too costly and required too many part changes for what I wanted. This set up provides all the performance the SV needs, without requiring too many changes. The R6 fork length is very close to being identical to th SV fork length, which makes suspension setup and geometry work very well.

I loved my SV front forks, with my SuperBrace and Race Tech springs with gold emulators. My dialed in suspension came very close to providing me all that I was looking for from the SV650 Superbike on the track, and carried me to many podiums, but this is an inexpensive, easy, to hop to the next level of performance.

The cost of the Spacer Kit for the R6 front end, will be $55 plus shipping and will include the installation instructions, and directions, for getting the machining done, and hooking everything up.

I'll post photos of the installed front end, just as soon as I complete dropping my engine and completing my season end check over and rebuild.

I did it basically single handed with a little help from my tuner, Murray, in getting th bike up onto the jack stands and back off of them once the forks were installed.

It was just too easy. The fork lengths turned out to be exactly equal, 29.75 inches so the geometry should be almost exactly the same as as with the stock forks. I'll report back once we measure the geometry.

I was running my bike at 23.6 degrees. The Geometry was reset at 23.4 degrees, and is awesome.

Here are some photo's of the bike and the forks. I am running an F3 Rear Wheel with my SV Racing Parts, Quick Change Captured Spacer Kit installed, so the front wheel in black and the black F3 wheel look good together.

FYI I did these forks up with the Race Tech, .90 springs, both the compression and rebound gold valving, and a total tear down and rebuild. I could have just used them with the stock R6 components, but I am using these babies on the track and I was looking best performance possible.

If anyone is interested I can help you out with forks, wheels, calipers, and of course, the SV Racing Parts, Captured Spacer Kits.

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
SV Racing Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
randomSV650

Bikes: '01 SV650, 05 DRZ400SM
Miles Kms: 25,000
Send a message via AIM to randomSV650
Re: New R6 Front Fork Mod for Gen 1 SV650 with Captured Spacer Kit

I'm assuming those forks are USD and have Comp/Rebound adjustments on them like the GSXR ones? Might be worth looking into, keep us posted!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
KrooklynSV
Supporting Member

Bikes: NC35, TZR250, CB400F

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomSV650 View Post
I'm assuming those forks are USD and have Comp/Rebound adjustments on them like the GSXR ones? Might be worth looking into, keep us posted!
& you would be wrong. the 99-02 r6 forks are non-usd forks. i would assume however, that they did have comp/rebound adj.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
randomSV650

Bikes: '01 SV650, 05 DRZ400SM
Miles Kms: 25,000
Send a message via AIM to randomSV650

yeah, I was checking ebay and discovered that...
Old 09-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
SV Racing Parts
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomSV650 View Post
Hi, When you say USD what are you referring to? OK I get get it Upside down, No, they are not.

Of course, the 99-02 R6 forks are the same no matter where they were distributed, and the Yamaha R6 has rebound and compression adjustments, so everything is good to go.

My tuner is an old Yamaha Factory racer, and bought an 05 SV last winter to tinker with. He immediately recognized the similarities in fork length and dimension. That is how and why we zeroed in on the modification.

How much easier can it get than machine 4 holes in your triples, and install 2 captured spacer kits and instant fully adjustable cartridge front end. Everything bolts up like it was stock.

Personally, I purchased a second set of triples, and had them machined while I kept my bike and current triples and front end on the track.

Once I complete the swap out, I will have a complete Race Tech front end for sale, with three front wheel and three sets of rotors, and triples, and calipers.

I purchased three R6 front wheels with Rotors and a set of calipers for a song. I've got access to a wrecker with thousands of square feet of bike parts.

Let me know if you have any interest, I won't be running anymore Captured Spacer Kits for this mod until these are gone.

Thanks for the interest, and best regards,
Blair
Old 09-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
BigZ88

Seems pretty straightforward... so needed parts list would be:

R6 forks
R6 wheel
R6 Brake caliper
Your spacer kit

Is that all? besides machine work?
BigZ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
SV Racing Parts
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ88 View Post
Seems pretty straightforward... so needed parts list would be:

R6 forks
R6 wheel
R6 Brake caliper
Your spacer kit - SV Racing Parts

Is that all? besides machine work?
The only other thing you would need is 43mm clip-ons.

I used the Woodcraft Clip-on clamps and reused the clip-on tubes I already had for my 41mm stock forks. I can supply them along with the SV Racing Parts, Quick Change Captured Spacer Kit for the R6 front wheel.

I also have a source for the Forks, Wheels, and Calipers for the R6.

Blair
Old 09-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
thejimdaddy
Titanium Member

Bikes: 2007 GSXR Sebben-fiddy, 2007 6seventy5
Miles Kms: i don't ride it

seems like a smart thing, 1mm is something like .039 of an inch, i suggest you get a stockpile of triples and machine them out, only problem i se is (not that it matters to you) is getting the speedometer to read again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatass SVS View Post
thejimdaddy has become the Voice of Reason.
thejimdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
SV Racing Parts
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejimdaddy View Post
Sseems like a smart thing, 1mm is something like .039 of an inch, i suggest you get a stockpile of triples and machine them out,

Thanks for the suggestion JD, Good thought, but not really practical.

It makes more sense for the person doing the modification to take their own triples, top and bottom, with stem to the local machinist, with the fork tubes and have the machinist match them up.

Took my my machinist very little time, and he definitely wanted the forks to measure, compare to the actual triples, and do a final buff to make sure they slid in and out with the proper tolerances.

This project has turned into a sweet front end set up. I'm completely happy with it.

Blair
Old 09-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
BigZ88

if when you say "reasonable price" as compared to what people spend on GSXR stuff, this could be a good option for me as machining is NO problem seeing as i have full capabilities at work. Not to mention, I have a naked, so technically i wouldnt need clip-ons right? just keep my bars.

though, for my type of riding, not sure reworked stock forks wouldnt be a better/cheaper option, but i like the idea of bigger/better brakes and such. I need to get a new rear shock too. I'm a fatty at 260lbs and i havent changed any suspension yet.
BigZ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement