Finally happened... my first real crash on my SFV650 Gladius - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #1
F9zSlavik
Site Supporter

Bikes: Suzuki SFV650
Finally happened... my first real crash on my SFV650 Gladius

Was driving to work going 65 or as they say, the flow of traffic. I couldn't see beyond the car in front as I was going up hill. Guys ahead were all tail gating each other. I couldn't bank left, couldn't bank right, and I ran out of time to do anything except for slapping on the breaks. Maybe someone can learn from this.

I can not express to you all enough, wear your gear. My boot saved me from the peg going through my ankle like a harpoon. Ankle still got damaged, my knee is purple, nothing got broken at the very least.

I know opinions on "who's fault it was" will run while but I am in the belief that the cars in front, because they were tail gating each other, caused unsafe driving conditions which caused me to collide. I'll know next week who they will determine who's at fault. It will either be 50 50 or their fault.

Thought I share.

F9zSlavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2019, 01:31 AM   #2
David_Fernando

Bikes: 02 gs500, 18 sv650
Re: Finally happened... my first real crash on my SFV650 Gladius

Damm dude!! Didn't any one stop and help you? Glad ur not too bad

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
David_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:34 AM   #3
Devils

Bikes: 2017 Suzuki SV650A, Naked
Miles Kms: 22,200 Km

That's pretty ****** up tbh and that dickhead on the Hardly didn't even look in your direction let alone stop, it really goes to show how far people's heads are up their own arses over there. I mean it looks like you were crawling and writhing in pain on the side of the freeway while your bikes leaning on the central barrier (totally normal), it must be a daily occurrence there or something that ******* idiots don't stop. I know that ***** in the end was trying to be helpful but was she ******* serious? "are you okay? do you want me to contact a paramedic?" No *****, Im just rolling around in agony because I wanna play dead on the side of a busy freeway, for ****'s sake, **** like this ****s me off.
Devils is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 02:52 AM   #4
snailman153624

Bikes: '04 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils View Post
That's pretty ****** up tbh and that dickhead on the Hardly didn't even look in your direction let alone stop, it really goes to show how far people's heads are up their own arses over there. I mean it looks like you were crawling and writhing in pain on the side of the freeway while your bikes leaning on the central barrier (totally normal), it must be a daily occurrence there or something that ******* idiots don't stop. I know that ***** in the end was trying to be helpful but was she ******* serious? "are you okay? do you want me to contact a paramedic?" No *****, Im just rolling around in agony because I wanna play dead on the side of a busy freeway, for ****'s sake, **** like this ****s me off.
Settle down, she was assessing the situation, I thought the woman did exactly the right thing.

Often times people get stunned or a bloody nose or some other minor injury, but don't need an ambulance ride to the ER. Overreacting doesn't help anybody, and unless you have trained for these kinds of situations, most people freeze and don't know what to do.

To the OP, glad you are OK, it could have been worse for sure. All I can say is I'm glad I live where I do, and don't have to deal with that kind of traffic, and that type of highway construction (no shoulders, just concrete barricade).

Heal up quick, and practice getting on the brake hard so it's just reflex instead of having to think too long about it. I think you did a great job maintaining control and not dumping the bike as some people do in a panic.
snailman153624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:52 AM   #5
Craig380

Bikes: Blue 650 AL7, replaced my K6S (RIP)
Miles Kms: New bike: 1,610 and rising. K6S had 21,380 until it was killed by a patch of diesel

Glad nothing's broken, is the bike OK? It looked like more of a glancing impact than a full-on hit.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailman153624 View Post
Settle down, she was assessing the situation, I thought the woman did exactly the right thing.

Often times people get stunned or a bloody nose or some other minor injury, but don't need an ambulance ride to the ER. Overreacting doesn't help anybody, and unless you have trained for these kinds of situations, most people freeze and don't know what to do.

To the OP, glad you are OK, it could have been worse for sure. All I can say is I'm glad I live where I do, and don't have to deal with that kind of traffic, and that type of highway construction (no shoulders, just concrete barricade).

Heal up quick, and practice getting on the brake hard so it's just reflex instead of having to think too long about it. I think you did a great job maintaining control and not dumping the bike as some people do in a panic.
I guess crashing comes natural to you too?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:22 AM   #7
F9zSlavik
Site Supporter

Bikes: Suzuki SFV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailman153624 View Post

I agree with your statement. They initially didn't want to give me their info and wanted to leave the scene as they were late for work. The guy kept expressing, "that guy in front of us braked hard" or something to that, which to me leads me to believe that they were tailgating as shown in the video.

I know I could of breaked earlier, but breaking is a last option. I took account my training and thought of bank left, then thought about bank right, and by the time I initiated my 3rd option, which is break, it was too late. I Went from 65 to 45 before the hit.

I knew if I would have let go of the bike, it would of thrown me or could of caused already a bad situation worse. I have to give the bike credit, it regained stability fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Glad nothing's broken, is the bike OK? It looked like more of a glancing impact than a full-on hit.
Right fender (radiator cover) shattered along with the light and radiator.

Any ideas where I can buy a radiator for cheap? I can't seem to find the cover ANYWHERE. Either I am not searching it correctly or people just haven't listed them for sale. Any suggestion I would greatly appreciate it. 2013 SFV650
F9zSlavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by F9zSlavik View Post
Pity it's the SFV, coz the 3rd gen radiator side covers are only $35 each

Any ideas where I can buy a radiator for cheap? I can't seem to find the cover ANYWHERE. Either I am not searching it correctly or people just haven't listed them for sale. Any suggestion I would greatly appreciate it. 2013 SFV650
https://www.ebay.ie/sch/Other-Motorc...radiator+cover
Old 10-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
tmf

Bikes: 2003 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 27K Miles

Thanks for posting that. It's a reminder to everyone out there to be vigilant. Practice your threshold braking frequently. If you can't stop you can at least scrub off as much speed as possible. In traffic I tend to ride with fingers on the front brake at all times. Even an instant of delay can greatly affect the outcome. Glad you came out of it relatively intact. There have been times I've gotten out of a tight situation with an evasive maneuver. Last year running about 75 I had to evade by diving between a car (made a quick lane change without looking) and the jersey barrier. That route was taken away from you. Amazing how fast your mind works in those situations.
tmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
rcb78

Bikes: 2017 SV650, 2013 F800GS

I know hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I think your instinct of left then right was correct. Watching the video, you had a corridor to the left of the car you hit and then to the right of the car after it. Braking while taking that course would have gotten you through unscathed. Hope it doesn't happen again, but if you've trained for evasive maneuvering, then trust your instinct and follow thru.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement