Bike dies after I stand it straight - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
epizarro

Bike dies after I stand it straight

I have an '06 650 and I've recently started having problems with it. First it was just a bad battery but I ran with that bad battery for a while, charging it at home. Then once I got the new battery it was still having problems so I thought the regulator/rectifier needed replacement so I did that. It was still not running right so I bought a new starter relay. Now it was running fine for a 10 minutes then when I stood it straight and sat on it to test ride it, it died instantly. I tried starting it again but it was struggling to start, then it started but idling very low and died soon after. What could be the problemm I'm very new at working on bikes , this is my first one. This website helped tons with troubleshooting but I'm at a loss now.
epizarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
epizarro

Ok I just realized I hadn't changed the oil since I got the bike, and I've put around 8k miles. I looked at it and it looks very dark. Could this be what's causing it to die once I stand it up?
Old 08-09-2019, 01:54 AM   #3
Craig380

Bikes: Blue 650 AL7, replaced my K6S (RIP)
Miles Kms: New bike: 1,610 and rising. K6S had 21,380 until it was killed by a patch of diesel
Re: Bike dies after I stand it straight

As long as the oil level is between the upper and lower markers in the sight glass with the bike held & balanced vertical on both wheels, it should be fine and unlikely to be causing your issues. It WILL need changing though.

Go back carefully over EVERY connector you touched / moved / disassembled when working on the bike, it's likely to be the problem.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
golden chicken

Bikes: 2005 SV650n
Miles Kms: 58,000

And make sure the tip over switch is secured in place properly.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #5
jksh25

I suspect either weak spark or a fuel delivery problem. Not oil for sure. Make sure both cylinders are firing by checking exhaust temperature. You can usually place your hand near the header where it exits the head and tell if a cylinder is firing.

Cylinders should have similar heat output. I use a cheap infrared thermal scanner and point it at the exhaust pipe just out of the head. I do this because sensing heat on the rear cylinder of an SV is tough to get two with your hand. Maybe where pipe exits the frame and similar place (lengthwise) on the front pipe. Compare the two. A cold pipe means the cylinder is not firing.

Sometimes a coil is weak and the cylinder does fire if the battery is also low on charge at low revs. This most often happens on my rear cylinder with a weak battery at idle.
jksh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
epizarro

Just to update, I dissembled the TO sensor and when I put it together it would give me the code that it was bad. So I bypassed the sensor by connecting 2 resistors in series, a 15k and 4.7k. Bike runs perfect now thanks for your replies!
Old 08-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
Maddevill

Bikes: 2005 SV650

Take the seat back off. Look for a loose battery ground or a wire getting crushed by the seat. Happened to me once. Your dirty oil has nothing to do with your running issues.

Mad
Maddevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
TeeRiver

Bikes: '03N, '07N
Miles Kms: ~44/gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by epizarro View Post
... bypassed the sensor by connecting 2 resistors in series, a 15k and 4.7k. Bike runs perfect now thanks for your replies!
15k with 4.7k might be operating at the edge. The resistors should be equal value, that is what the TOS delivers when vertical.

Stock TOS for the SV650 is 20k ohms, means two 10k would be the best fit, tap the signal in the middle. 1/2W resistors are better than 1/4W as thicker leads will hold up better to bike vibration. 1/2W in not necessary for power reasons, just better mechanical strength.

Glad you got it working.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
DanPro

What's the TO sensor? Is that for the fan to cool the bike?

Thermal O?
DanPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
golden chicken

Bikes: 2005 SV650n
Miles Kms: 58,000

Tip Over Switch.

It kills the bike when you drop it.
Advertisement