Reviving my í01 Curvy (Yes, I know thatís redundant) - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 1999-2002 model SV650.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
DemonRider

Bikes: '01 SV650S, '05 GSXR 750
Miles Kms: SVS 21,000, GSXR 5,500
Reviving my í01 Curvy (Yes, I know thatís redundant)

So the bike sat for almost ten years in a covered area, but not fully enclosed. Hereís where Iím at this stage of the resurrection:

Completely dismantled and cleaned the carbs. One pilot jet was completely clogged, the other one slightly. Got them all cleaned out, pilots and mains. Floats, float valve, and slide and slide diaphragms were fine with some light cleaning. Theyíre reinstalled now. Just got to make sure theyíre balanced now Ė I donít have gauges to do it. Iím willing to buy them as long as I get a kit that will work for both carbíed and FI bikes up to 4 cylinders (I have an Ď05 GSXR 750 as well). Iíve seen some YouTube vids on some DIY methods, so I may give that a go first.

Drained the old nasty gas out of the tank. I canít get a good look inside, but what I see from the filler hole is a really rough black textured look, sort of like a heavy truck bed liner, but doesnít look like rust. I canít see the top of the tank or any other areas. Should I try it as is, or maybe try some POR-15 treatment first?

Brakes need some work. The rear caliper is shot I think Ė the pads actually fell out without their backing plate which is fused to the brake pistons. The part of the pistons I can see look rusty but I canít tell if the dust shields are shot. One moves a bit when I pump the rear brake pedal but the other doesnít. Iím going to clean them as well as I can and see if I can get them moving freely. If so Iíll just throw some new pads in and leave it for now Ė who uses the rear brake anyway? Lol. If that doesnít work then a rebuild is in order. I think the fronts are OK but have to put new fluid in and test them along with the master cylinder. If not rebuilds all around!

As to the engine, I pulled the plugs and liberally sprayed some cylinder lube in them and got it turning pretty good manually with a 36mm socket on the front sprocket. I just replaced the battery today and she spins very well with the starter, so I think all is basically well with the engine. Iíll do a compression test in the future, but for now I just want to get it running. Checked for spark and both cylinders look well. The old plugs look fine, but I bought some new NGK iridium plugs since I donít think I ever change the old ones. But I checked for fire with just the old plugs only and they sparked fine.

The only thing that worries me is the starter relay. The engine cranks fine mostly, but every other try I just hear the relay click, but no crank. I did crack the cover to the relay when I removed the connector for a totally unrelated reason. But it does mostly work. Should I just replace it or tape up the cover (see pic below)?

As stated, I havenít tried to fire the engine yet. It has oil but I donít know its condition. I always ran good full synthetic oil in it Ė it looks dark in the window but most likely itís at least OK (I donít remember how many miles I have on the oil). I have new oil and filter Ė the question is should I change it first or try to fire it on the old oil to get it warmed up and circulating and clear out any gunk from the upper cylinder head?

What else am I missing before a first run?
DemonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
DemonRider

Re: Reviving my í01 Curvy (Yes, I know thatís redundant)

It's alive! Well, I'm pretty sure it is. I went ahead and threw the new spark plugs in and cranked her with just starter spray and she fires up! I can keep her running for a good 5-10 seconds just on the spray. I haven't put the gas tank back on or gas in the carbs - that will be the next step.

I went ahead and ordered a 4-column Carbtune Pro kit from Carbtune in the UK. I'll balance the carbs once that arrives. Just need to get the brakes sorted now and I think she'll be a runner again!
Old 07-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
fafaforza

Bikes: '01 SV650, '05 CRF250X, '06 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 50000

Heh, I'm in the same boat. Mine sat around since 2013 when I got my SV1000S. Got everything perfect with the drivetrain, just gotta get it running.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2019, 02:45 AM   #4
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy
Miles Kms: 23,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRider View Post
It's alive! Well, I'm pretty sure it is. I went ahead and threw the new spark plugs in and cranked her with just starter spray and she fires up! I can keep her running for a good 5-10 seconds just on the spray. I haven't put the gas tank back on or gas in the carbs - that will be the next step.

I went ahead and ordered a 4-column Carbtune Pro kit from Carbtune in the UK. I'll balance the carbs once that arrives. Just need to get the brakes sorted now and I think she'll be a runner again!
You won't be disappointed with the Carbtune 2.I've been using one for around 15 years and it's still like new.John(Sean) Morgan has made one of if not the best Throttle body balancers around.They can even be stripped and serviced not that mine has ever needed it.

They are so easy to use it make's Balancing carbs etc a simple science and not a,"Black Art".

I recently checked/re-balanced my Curvy's Carbs and chronicled it with some tips,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650Carb_Balance.html

BTW

I would pull apart ALL electrical connectors/fuses and check for corrosion and treat with Switch/contact cleaner and I use the fantastic ACF50 on them including all my Bulb holders,

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACF-50-Anti...wAAOSwmfhX6Cri

Last edited by Straticus; 07-24-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Straticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
DemonRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straticus View Post
You won't be disappointed with the Carbtune 2.

I would pull apart ALL electrical connectors/fuses and check for corrosion and treat with Switch/contact cleaner and I use the fantastic ACF50 on them including all my Bulb holders,
Thanks Straticus. Your link to the carb balancing write up is what led me to Carbtune! It will definitely come in handy.

And yes, planning on checking/cleaning all connectors.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Cavi

I am in a similar boat. I bought a dead bike back in Feb. i wanted it as it had a gsxr front end already, plus single sided swingarm and Ducatti wheels. The wiring was toast, and someone sprayed it with flat black rattle can. A friend swapped the harness and the stator and it now runs. I am currently getting lights to work and the cluster mounted. Then I will paint tank and plastics
Cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
DemonRider

So I got the rear brake caliper wasn't as bad as I thought. got it cleaned up and moving freely. The dust shield looks to be intact and not leaking so the seals seem to be good. Installed some new brake pads so I'm going to run with it for now.

The fronts master cylinder is another story - looks like it's pushed all the way in and frozen. I looked at used calipers and rebuild kits but then decided to go with a set of MZS universal brake and clutch lever set with a new master cylinder and reservoir. Anyone have any experience with these?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:31 AM   #8
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy
Miles Kms: 23,000

Can't speak for the SV but I've used Universal MCs on my old Hondas with no problems.I prefer to buy a new MC rather than a rebuild kit.I've tried rebuilds but when some of the Metal in the originals can be over 15 years old and if they have been neglected and with inner corrosion I've found new metal to be the way forward.

I change my Brake fluid every year for two reasons.

1:The fluid never gets chance to degrade too much.

2:It forces me to check and service the braking system so I know it's nominal.

There's a trick I came up with years ago for priming the MC to get pressure when the level has dropped to get the fluid flowing.No need for fancy devices.

I use the old-school piece of tubing off the bleed nipple open into a Jar about a 1/4 filled with fluid as the one-way-valve.

Then fill the MC and spit on my hand and place it on top of the MC and press down to make a seal.Then slowly pump the lever and top up as I go along.This works every-time for me getting pressure through.Then I can go through the normal bleed routine.I do the Left and right sides a couple of times to make sure all the air is out.

I use a bit of ACF50 on the caliper seals and pistons.It slows down seal decay and corrosion on the Pistons.I use proper Red Brake grease on the Caliper pins etc where needed.

Also If I'm not replacing the pads I take the glaze off them with some 500 grit placed on a flat surface and lightly rub the pads on it.

Also a thin careful smear of Brake grease or Copper grease on the Back of the pads to aid the anti-squeal plates is useful.Once I've done any Motorcycle brake work I check and clean the discs etc with Carb/Brake cleaner and some clean tissue(Toilet roll).No point ruining all the good work allowing contaminants getting onto the Pads

Last edited by Straticus; 07-30-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Straticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #9
DemonRider

Well, she's a runner! Here's a link to the YouTube video of the start up.

Last edited by DemonRider; 08-05-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
DemonRider

So heres a clip of the SV running 2 after getting the carbs installed. Seems to be running a little rough. Front carb slide doesn't move. There's some snapping/popping from the engine, and the louder pops are backfire from the exhaust. Is this from the diaphragm leaking and not moving the slide? The slide itself moves fairly freely, although I did notice that it does not move quite as freely as the rear one when reassembling the carbs. Or is it just that the vacuum lines are not connected to the breather box?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement