Manufacturer of Bikemaster brake disc/rotors - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:50 PM   #1
sv650bklyn

Bikes: 2006 SV650 (Gen 2)
Miles Kms: 53000 mi
Manufacturer of Bikemaster brake disc/rotors

After 50k miles my front brake rotors are down to 3.95-4.05 mm and have started to induce strong vibrations at highway speeds. I hope new rotors will fix this issue but I do not want to spend over $400 for EBC or Braking discs or take a gamble with used OEM rotors.
I have been eyeing rotors from Bikemaster since they're much cheaper at an MSRP of $190 per disc and $140/disc at the cheapest merchant.

The problem is that Bikemaster is not transparent on who actually manufactures their rotors, and I sure don't want to risk receiving a "Chinesium" rotor. All marketing copy I found online only states this:
Code:
Manufactured by one of Europe's premier disk brake experts! An OEM manufacturer to many well known brands with totally integrated manufacturing with control over EVERY aspect of the product

The very latest in German Aerospace Materials and ISO Certified Quality Management Using the latest technology in materials, processes and finishes Laser cutting for accuracy to the ten thousandth of an inch!
However, their product video (https://youtu.be/OaOkeuT-j_A?t=53) and one random forum post mentioned NG Brake Disc, a Spanish company that makes brake discs for dozens of motorcycle brands, among them Suzuki! So I had a strong hunch that Bikemaster may simply be a US distributor for NG Brake Disc.

When a private seller on eBay offered a set of new front discs for only $135, I jumped in.

I received the rotors today and they are indeed stamped "NG Brake Disc" and "Made in Spain" multiple times, plus a small "Bikemaster" stamp. You can see close-ups below. They look just like the discs for 3rd gen models.

I have found some minor cosmetic imperfections, so my assumption is that Bikemaster may be receiving "2nd grade" discs that wouldn't pass muster with Suzuki standards. They consist of some superficial scratches that are not noticeable to the touch. That would also explain why Bikemaster doesn't point out the manufacturer (for contractual reasons or they actually believe their brand name is trusted more...). Or they were scratched up during storage or packaging (they come shrink wrapped in Bikemaster labeled boxes).

In any case, the fact that NG Brake Disc stamped its name, website, and serial number on them multiple times, gives me some reassurance that their performance will be up to OEM standards. We shall see...

My build thread http://is.gd/sv650sascha | Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/sv650nyc

Last edited by sv650bklyn; 10-23-2018 at 05:49 AM. Reason: added links
sv650bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 01:08 AM   #2
TeeRiver

Bikes: '03N, '07N
Miles Kms: ~44/gal
Re: Manufacturer of Bikemaster brake disc/rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv650bklyn View Post
In any case, the fact that NG Brake Disc stamped its name, website, and serial number on them multiple times, gives me some reassurance that their performance will be up to OEM standards. We shall see...
Thanks for the disc report, Bklyn. Given the age of the SV, now is probably the time when more folks will be needing to replace front rotors. If you would, please update as you get a chance to see how they hold up and perform. The discs look great.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
Junkie

Bikes: 06 1k

In many cases, you can't trust the name stamped/engraved on an item: China does quite a bit of forgery.

NG isn't all that well known, so I doubt it's happening here, but if it was Akrapovic I'd be very cautious

Old 10-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
mad8vskillz
Underground Parts Slinger

Bikes: 03 650, 03 1000S (x2), grom, te610 sumo, 919, kayo, nswtf148
Miles Kms: 1.6 miles/km

shameless plug... a very good set of ebc https://www.mad8v.com/products/835
www.mad8v.com - killer prices on Supersprox, and lots of 1g and 2g sv650 and sv1000 parts
mad8vskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #5
sv650bklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
...a very good set of ebc
Wow, contoured to the max; there's hardly any material left, hehe.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
sv650bklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
NG isn't all that well known, so I doubt it's happening here
True, I also doubt anyone would fake a BikeMaster product. The cheap rotor sets on eBay are all EBC clones.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
mad8vskillz
Underground Parts Slinger

Bikes: 03 650, 03 1000S (x2), grom, te610 sumo, 919, kayo, nswtf148
Miles Kms: 1.6 miles/km

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv650bklyn View Post
Wow, contoured to the max; there's hardly any material left, hehe.
that's how they sell em... mad cooling yo
www.mad8v.com - killer prices on Supersprox, and lots of 1g and 2g sv650 and sv1000 parts
mad8vskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
sv650bklyn

Update: 800 miles since installation

The discs are finally showing signs of full contact over their entire width. According to the Bedding In Procedure from EBC this is normal and can take up to 1000 miles. Other than that the discs seem of high quality so far. The vibrations have subsided, which means at least one of the OEM discs was warped.
For the longest time the new discs showed only 50-75% of abrasion and getting concerned I checked out the pads and made sure all was aligned properly.
I slightly bent one of the pad springs in the process (note: always remove the springs before pumping out the pistons for cleaning). This resulted in much longer lever travel and reduced braking power. After bending it back in shape my brake travel reduced dramatically. One finger breaking is sufficient now! I will buy a new spring nevertheless as it turns out a bent spring can obstruct the movement of a piston which drastically reduces your braking performance.
In another 100 miles or so I should be at the point for the final heat up procedure as described by EBC:
Quote:
After full width contact band is attained make a further 10 stops from 60 mph to 10 mph in succession with a deliberate attempt to get the brakes hot. Some smells may occur even slight smoke during this final heat up stage of the pads in early life. Then coast the vehicle for a mile to allow discs to cool.
So it takes quite some patience to bed in new discs. The first 200 miles with new pads and new discs were quite a dangerous affair riding in the NYC winter. I had maybe 25% of my usual stopping power and was avoiding any hard braking so I wouldn't glaze the discs. Finally though, I'm about to enjoy the best brakes this bike has had so far!

My build thread http://is.gd/sv650sascha | Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/sv650nyc

Last edited by sv650bklyn; 02-25-2019 at 11:08 PM.
sv650bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement