dang engine noise - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
notabuker

Bikes: naked suzuki sv650
Miles Kms: 14000
dang engine noise

I will never get used to all the timing chain noise this engine makes. I am resolved to the fact that it is the nature of the beast. It only has 14,000 miles on it [ 07 ]. It runs perfect and i inspected the oil and the drain plug magnet for any metal filings, clean as can be. This bike has been pampered but after warm up off idle it makes a lot of clanking sound. I am a retired auto mechanic and if this was a car engine i would say it has a problem. Why does such a wonderful engine with a very good reputation for being bullet proof make so much noise at low rpm especially under light load under 2,000 rpm warm.
notabuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
farmer_frank

Bikes: 2003 SV1000N, 2002 SV650, 1972 Yamaha R5, 2003 Triumph Speed Four
Miles Kms: 50,000+
Re: dang engine noise

it's not unheard of for first gens to need new cam chain tensioners. Might be worth looking into that.
farmer_frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy
Miles Kms: 23,000

When I got my 1999 Curvy(16k miles,well looked after) a few months ago it too had some cam chain noise.As soon as I changed the oil using Motul 10w40 Motorcycle oil the noise lessened.Also gear shifting became easier but only when I took some oil out as I had overfilled to the top-line.

However what I'm going to say next I think you might not like.I got the noise down next to zero by using an engine additive called Molyslip.Just 30ml into the engine.I've used this product for over 40 years and,"NO" it does not cause wet-clutch slip.Moly doesn't adhere to none metallic surfaces like the fibre Clutch plates.

Although not an Auto-mechanic I've stripped and rebuilt many engines from the crank-pin up and battled to get my old Honda CX500s smooth and rattle free.

This bike was made from old parts.Combined age of parts around 500,000 miles<grin>

and I got it pretty smooth for an old 1980 Honda CX500.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 41688

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabuker View Post
Why does such a wonderful engine with a very good reputation for being bullet proof make so much noise at low rpm especially under light load under 2,000 rpm warm.
The engine is built to live at close to 11,000 rpm, so expecting it to do anything but idle under 2K is unreasonable. 3K for many is the absolute lowest you should ask any power delivery beyond maintaining cruise speed on flat and level, and 4K for anything approaching WOT.

Solid lifters and pistons fitted with enough clearance to live at redline tend to make a racket down low...not much to be done about it except don't run it down there! Earplugs help too. You should hear what mine sounds like....w/forged pistons and solid cam gears (the 1K's have split gears stock..which whine, but the solid adjustable gears rattle) but it's totally reliable and is just how they are. Keep the R's up a bit more and ride happily.
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #5
Straticus

That's great to know Rob.I've been used to lower revving bikes but have kept the revs up on my Curvy because of this kind of info.They don't like low revs
Old 05-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #6
notabuker

Bikes: naked suzuki sv650
Miles Kms: 14000

I put Mobil 1 Racing 4tx motorcycle 10 40 in it. 2 1/2 Qts. I just recently got this bike so its history is a unknown. Judging by how clean and original it was kept i doubt it was abused. All the fluids were spotless but i changed them anyway.I have never owned a Japanese twin before. I am amazed by the power band. I try to keep the revs between 4,000 - 5,000 during normal riding.I love how you can down shift to slow down instead of relying on the brakes to stop.This bike is more fun to ride than the two sportsters i had before.
notabuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
Straticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabuker View Post
I put Mobil 1 Racing 4tx motorcycle 10 40 in it. 2 1/2 Qts. I just recently got this bike so its history is a unknown. Judging by how clean and original it was kept i doubt it was abused. All the fluids were spotless but i changed them anyway.I have never owned a Japanese twin before. I am amazed by the power band. I try to keep the revs between 4,000 - 5,000 during normal riding.I love how you can down shift to slow down instead of relying on the brakes to stop.This bike is more fun to ride than the two sportsters i had before.
Some people don't like the engine braking on the SVs but I too love it.Coming down into bends at the right speed with engine braking is a joy and yes the power-band is lovely and smooth
Old 05-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
locoblanco

Bikes: 2016 DL650A
Miles Kms: 10k miles

My bike was noisy when new, and is still noisy, but no more or less, at 85000 miles.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:57 AM   #9
Straticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoblanco View Post
My bike was noisy when new, and is still noisy, but no more or less, at 85000 miles.
85,000 miles.Excellent

As you are a long time owner could you list the things you had to replace over the years.I don't mean the general stuff like oil/filters/coolant tyres but other mechanical and electrical stuff if any.I just like to get an idea of wear and tear
Old 05-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
locoblanco

Bikes: 2016 DL650A
Miles Kms: 10k miles

At 70000 miles the fuel pump failed. There are cheap pumps available, but with that many miles I opted to go with a new Suzuki pump as it includes a new screen, high pressure filter and thermistors for the low fuel warning light. I replaced the fuel line also, even though it looked good and was not leaking. No other problems, just routine maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement