Noise when coasting - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
Taavi130

Bikes: SV650S 2003
Miles Kms: 30500 km
Noise when coasting

Hello!

My SV650 is making some rattling type of noise, it seems to be coming from the left side of the bike. The noise starts when in first gear and clutch lever pulled in, no sound noise in neutral. I can also hear a bit when in second gear, but compared to the first gear it is nothing. When I switch from first to neutral it disappears instantly and reappears when I switch back. It's making the noise only when clutch disengaged (or engine noise is louder). Otherwise everthing is working fine - clutch works nicely, not jumping out of gears, gets into gears well etc. I just bought the SV and I know it has not had much use in recent years. It has 30500 km (~19000 miles) on the clock.

I did a little video today, that hopefully helps to distuingish the noise:

youtube.com/watch?v=gu4IM06qhW8 (As I'm new to the forum, I can't post it as a link, sorry! :/ )

As the noises from wind, chain etc are quite loud it is not easy to separate the noise that I am concerned of, but it is audible. But in real life the noise is quite loud, that people on the streets can definetly hear it when I'm coasting by.

If someone has any idea what can make a noise like that and can help me to find the cause, I'd be very thankful!

Thanks in advance!
Taavi130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Jay V

Bikes: '06 SVn, '00 SVn project
Re: Noise when coasting

I would look closely at your chain. Get the rear wheel up in the air and spin it, listening for the sound and looking for any odd movement of the chain.

Also consider the bearings.

The speedo drive might be another possibility. If you search here you should be able to find a thread or 2 that may help.
Jay V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Taavi130

Thank you for your quick reply!

I got the rear wheel up today and did not notice anything wrong with the chain, but I will check over more carefully. As there is no noise in neutral and rattling after changing to first (and keeping clutch pulled), then the tension and the speed of the chain remains the same. If chain is the cause then the noise should be with every gear?

As you are alsp suggesting bearings I assume you are talking about the constant noise in the video. I know that the brakes in the front are making some constant noise, I think the calipers need cleaning as the bike has been staying for few years.

I think at first the easiest way to notice the rattle is to hear it disappear in the video (when I change from first to neutral).

Old 09-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
Jay V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taavi130 View Post
Thank you for your quick reply!

I got the rear wheel up today and did not notice anything wrong with the chain, but I will check over more carefully. As there is no noise in neutral and rattling after changing to first (and keeping clutch pulled), then the tension and the speed of the chain remains the same. If chain is the cause then the noise should be with every gear?

As you are alsp suggesting bearings I assume you are talking about the constant noise in the video. I know that the brakes in the front are making some constant noise, I think the calipers need cleaning as the bike has been staying for few years.

I think at first the easiest way to notice the rattle is to hear it disappear in the video (when I change from first to neutral).
Hmmm...that is odd.

Are you sure the chain isn't too tight? Tension on the countershaft sprocket (trans output shaft) is what I'm suggesting. That doesn't necessarily explain how it comes and goes though. Eliminate the easy stuff first, but it's also possible there is a transmission issue causing the noise.

There are a few members here that know the SV trans pretty well, maybe they will chime in.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 41688

Agree with Jay....at 19,000 I'd almost bet the chain is still the original one...and needing attention. If you pull the front sprocket cover to inspect the sprocket pay particular attention to the shape of the teeth. Any sloping or difference from front to rear of each tooth means it's time for a new one. On the rear sprocket, if you can grab the middle of the chain and try to pull it rearward. If you can move it at all...it's time for a new one. I know many say there's a measurement of how far you can pull the chain off of the sprocket, but mine has no movement and would be replaced before it gets that bad.

Seeing as the noise is only when the bike is rolling....it's not inside the engine. That's good! Be sure the chain isn't adjusted too tight....some will try to mask a worn out chain by adjusting it tight when selling the bike. Better a little looser than spec than tighter than spec.
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
Taavi130

As I had some spare time at work today, I decided to visit Suzuki dealership. Mechanic, who has a lot of experience with SV-s, took my bike for a test ride and told me that it is first time for him to hear such noise made by SV. He said that, this noise comes from clutch and possibly the clutch plates are loose and vibrating. Also said that the possible cause can be worn basket, but could not be sure before opening the engine case. Suggested me not to worry too much, if the noise is not getting worse.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
locoblanco

Bikes: 2016 DL650A
Miles Kms: 15k miles and climbing

Not necessary to split the cases for clutch work, just remove right side engine cover. That is probably not the problem, however. As was said earlier, the chain and sprockets are suspect. If you can pull the chain back from the rear sprocket more than a couple mm, it's shot. Replace it and both sprockets as a set. You will notice an increase in power to the rear wheel as well as new smoothness and quiet.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
Jay V

Any luck finding the problem?

(I personally don't think it's the clutch)
Old 09-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
PriestTheRunner
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2000 SV650 Naked
Miles Kms: 43,940 and counting (58000odo [email protected] 3/25/2015)

Considering it doesn't happen when in neutral, my money is on the clutch. Switching from neutral to gear wouldn't change anything after the clutch...

Curious as well.
PriestTheRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
Taavi130

Looks like I have not visited the forum for a while. I still own the same SV and it is still doing the same noise - when rolling in gear and clutch pulled it makes rattling noise.

I pulled clutch cover today, as I do not have experience with clutches, I have question if the play in the clutch is normal? I did a video of the situation. Video is filmed when the clutch is pulled in. Is that big slack usual or is it possible that the clutch plates are making rattling noise in the basket when riding?

Video of the situation:
youtube.com/watch?v=AAP3SKKOKGQ
(Sorry, I still can't post links, as I do not have enough posts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement