So I finally removed the STV plates and it's awesome! - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Gianz

Bikes: 06 Sv650n
Miles Kms: 40000
So I finally removed the STV plates and it's awesome!

I finally moved, now I have a garage so I don't have to dismantle my bike on the footpath anymore. First thing I did, I removed the STV plates.
Took me 30 minutes. I suggest if somebody wants to do it, not to take the throttle bodies out completely. Just undo some connections, lift them enough to put a clean rug in the intake ducts not to have a screw fall in the cylinder.
Careful the screws are loctited, and typical suzuki cheese consistency, so you have to use a good screwdriver and push hard.
Once you take them out, clean the bodies from the blue loctite paste.
Reassemble everything, the bike still thinks the STVs are there doing their thing, no error code or anything.
fast idle works perfectly.
Then I went for a ride and WHY DID THEY PUT THE STVS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!
Bike is more responsive, the first thing I noticed is the engine braking is much weaker. From closed throttle there is less jerkiness (should be the opposite), I can now cruise in 6th gear at 2.5k rpm! WOT the response is different. Probably less linear (that dip at 5k rpm is a bit more accentuated) but I was very pleasantly surprised when my bike power wheelied in 2nd gear. I mean all the way up. Never happened before without clutch.
And then thanks to Teeriver's Fuelbot I noticed a good decrease in fuel consumption, from 8L/100km (29mpg) to 6.2L/100km (37mpg) on average, which tells me my bike was running rich.
My advice: do it. I can't see any downsides.
Gianz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
smc11773

Bikes: 07 SV650s...n...s...n
Miles Kms: 12500 smiles
Re: So I finally removed the STV plates and it's awesome!

Potential downsides:

less HP
less linear throttle response
idle problems
cold start issues
smc11773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 41688

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc11773 View Post
Potential downsides:

less HP
idle problems
cold start issues
Actually, if you just pull the plates and leave the shafts/motor/sensor in place the cold start is unaffected and fast idle still working as normal. Idle is likewise unaffected. The throttle response could very well be less linear, you don't have the STV's to cover you if you open the throttles too far too soon...but it's not bad and the light throttle power normally much improved.

The STV's were installed mostly to make it pass noise emissions (IMHO) and to cover a ham hand on the throttle with the engine at very low rpms. If you don't need the ability to whack them WFO at 2K in 6th...the STV's won't be missed.
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
Tylergreyday

Bikes: 2006 sv650
Miles Kms: 17000 and going up every day

More out of curiosity. Any chance of this making things dangerously lean? I want to do this but I don't and any way to change the mixture at the moment.
Tylergreyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Gianz

Bikes: 06 Sv650n
Miles Kms: 40000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc11773 View Post
Potential downsides:

less HP
idle problems
cold start issues

less hp: don't see how since at wot the stvs are fully open so no diff.
less linear: maybe but i don't care, if i wanted linear i would have bought a bandit.
idle problems: not at all
cold start: see recoilrob's comment.

for me it's a win win, especially the smoothness at low rpm. couldn't ride under 3.5k rpm before.
Gianz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
RecoilRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylergreyday View Post
More out of curiosity. Any chance of this making things dangerously lean? I want to do this but I don't and any way to change the mixture at the moment.
I sincerely doubt you have to worry about it getting too lean by STV removal. The ECU's seem to be set pretty rich...at least on the 1K's and I'd imagine the 650's would be similar. At light throttle settings, if it still runs....it's not too lean. Only at higher throttle settings do you need to worry about being lean and doing damage....and the STV's should be out of the picture by then anyhow.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:49 AM   #7
riposseduto

Bikes: sv650s 1999
Miles Kms: 124.000 km

Dera guys.

if you want here you can find some graph

this is a 03 FI system running with stock filter, stock exhaust and without stv with stock ecu.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bww...it?usp=sharing

waiting for youyr feedback
riposseduto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
bighammer

Bikes: 2004 SV650 Yellow

I'd have a better chance of understanding if I could read Italian, understand metric equivalents, and had more coffee.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
Tylergreyday

Bikes: 2006 sv650
Miles Kms: 17000 and going up every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
I sincerely doubt you have to worry about it getting too lean by STV removal. The ECU's seem to be set pretty rich...at least on the 1K's and I'd imagine the 650's would be similar. At light throttle settings, if it still runs....it's not too lean. Only at higher throttle settings do you need to worry about being lean and doing damage....and the STV's should be out of the picture by then anyhow.
Sounds good to me. I went ahead and took them out yesterday. Noticeable improvement in smoothness in the lower rpm's.
Tylergreyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
RecoilRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylergreyday View Post
Sounds good to me. I went ahead and took them out yesterday. Noticeable improvement in smoothness in the lower rpm's.
Good! I've been on an 'anti-STV' rant for a few years now. Work of the Devil they are. But using them makes perfect sense to allow the manufacturer to easily pass noise standards in the various places the bike will be sold by merely adjusting the ECU and not being forced to change major hardware. Plus, on the 1K's, the STV's won't open much at all in 1st or 2nd gear which limits the power (and wheelies) which makes the bike 'friendlier'.

You'll likely notice the intake howl will be louder now, and the difference you hear is how much they were restricting you. Just be careful with the throttle and enjoy all the motor has to give you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement