in my rear brake light switch not working? - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
TurTLe*

Bikes: 2003 SV650N
Miles Kms: 5200
in my rear brake light switch not working?

I noticed today as i was backing up again the wall that my rear brake light doesn't work when i apply the rear brakes. I'm not sure if this was how it was suppose to be or not.

I can hear the front brake switch/relay do its thing and it works operating the brake light. I see the connection right under my handlebar. But for the rears, when i try to look for a possible electrical connection, i see nothing.

So i'm assuming that the rear brakes ARE NOT suppose to be activate my brake light. I swear my old GS500 had both activate it.
TurTLe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
SlvrDragon50

Bikes: SV650s 2005
Miles Kms: 1000 miles :(
Re: in my rear brake light switch not working?

Rear brakes are supposed to activate the brake light.

Do you have aftermarket rearsets?
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
some call me...tim?

Bikes: 2002 SV650S
Miles Kms: 25k

Mine didn't activate when I first got my bike. If you look behind the rear brake lever, there's a hook that attaches to the mechanism with an adjustment screw. If yours is like mine, you just need to tighten it up so that the hook gets pulled enough when you step on the brake. Mine's a 1st gen, but I'm assuming the setup is similar, should take all of 5 minutes to fix.
some call me...tim? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
bcj

Bikes: k3 sv650

There should be a switch on a bracket behind the heel guard that is attached to the brake pedal by a spring with hooks on each end.
There's one big spring that brings the pedal back up after you push it down, but there should be a smaller spring as well that activates the switch.

If the spring is still there, you should be able to adjust the height of the switch and when it activates by turning a plastic captive nut that the switch body goes through.
The nut has a groove that fits in a bracket back there and holds the whole thing in one place relative to the pedal.

If the spring is missing, you should be able to find something similar at ACE or Lowes.
Measure the gap and how much adjustment windage you have.

Took a look through the bandit diagrams, but couldn't find the switch or even the brake pedal. Meh.
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
pronator
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2007 SV650

Here's a photo of the brake-side rearset:

Here's the back. The switch and spring bcj wrote about aren't in the photo, but the circle is where the switch sits in its bracket. The arrow is the spring that connects the switch to the back of the brake pedal.

When the pedal is depressed, both springs are activated: one returns the pedal upward; the other activates the switch for the brake light.

I photographed these over a year ago when I was dismantling the pieces in prep for powdercoating. Hopefully, they're coming in handy!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
TurTLe*

Bikes: 2003 SV650N
Miles Kms: 5200

thanks for the picture. So i took a better look at this.

So the light DOES work, its just i REALLY have to press on the pedal, like all the way down to get the trigger to work.

I was playing around with the adjustment rod and there was no way i can get it to trigger on the brake light without having to stomp on it.
TurTLe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
pronator
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2007 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurTLe* View Post
thanks for the picture. So i took a better look at this.

So the light DOES work, its just i REALLY have to press on the pedal, like all the way down to get the trigger to work.

I was playing around with the adjustment rod and there was no way i can get it to trigger on the brake light without having to stomp on it.
As some call me...tim said, there's a nut on your switch. This allows you to move the switch up (increase tension on the spring) or down (decrease the tension - for example, if the light wasn't turning off).

Since you are having to stomp down, you need to move the switch upward so that the brake light is trigger when you start to depress the rear brake pedal.

If you're already at max height and still have to stomp, you can always shorten the spring. Cut off 1/2" or so and bend a new curve at the bottom. (I had to do that with my aftermarket rearsets.)

Good luck!
Advertisement