mmmm. gsxr forks... hints for the next guy - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Gladius forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Gladius forum For all topics relating to the Suzuki Gladius.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
///Matt

Bikes: 2008 GSX-R750
Miles Kms: 5k on the Gladius
mmmm. gsxr forks... hints for the next guy

She's extra naked!

By the end of the weekend all of this:

Will have found a new, loving home.

Just so you know.....

Pressing the stems out is.... touchy.
And FYI, they press out from the long side (top) of the lower triple, not from the bottom. And pressing the lower race back onto the gladius stem requires a special tool...

Hence, the above pictures depict my half-finished project, instead of my finished one like it was supposed to be.

I ruined the gsxr lower triple trying to press the stem out from the wrong direction, so now need to immediately source another one.... and instead of having at least the gladius back in one piece with stockers, I couldn't put the bearing back on.... So yeah.

However, (pause for effect) I have connections with a suzuki tech, and I'll have another gsxr lower and access to the bearing pressing tool tomorrow.

So yeah, stay tuned for the finished product.

I'm also going to be putting the steering stabilizer in, somehow. We'll see how that goes.
///Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
KarnemelkMetBrokken

Bikes: SFV650 Gladius 2010
Re: mmmm. gsxr forks... hints for the next guy

Wow, really nice Are you also going to use the GSXR brakes?(I see the radial 'mounting' is still on the forks.)
KarnemelkMetBrokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
///Matt

Yes, the brakes are 50% of the reason I'm doing this swap!

Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
KarnemelkMetBrokken

Great, I'm curious to know how much braking will improve. Somewhere in the future(when I have the money for it :P), I also want to upgrade rear suspension and front forks/suspension including the brakes. My Gladie has ABS so I'm wondering if it would have to be reconfigured or something to work correctly with the more powerful brakes in case it activates all the time or something like that.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
///Matt

If you were able to mount a speedo ring on the gsxr rim, you'd keep ABS... I haven't seen a Gladius with ABS, so I don't know what all could be changed, the master cylinder may have to stay, or you may need custom brake lines to get to the ABS hydraulic unit.

These brakes are a whole lot nicer, though. my GSXR swap is complete, except for building a mounting bracket for the gauge cluster.

The brakes are more immediate, more controlled and constant, and definitely stop harder. I like them a lot. =)

The forks are not adjusted yet, nor am I adjusted to them (i only rode 1/4 of a mile, to check my work). I'll let you guys know how they feel after tomorrow, but I think we all know what to expect.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
KarnemelkMetBrokken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
If you were able to mount a speedo ring on the gsxr rim, you'd keep ABS... I haven't seen a Gladius with ABS, so I don't know what all could be changed, the master cylinder may have to stay, or you may need custom brake lines to get to the ABS hydraulic unit.

These brakes are a whole lot nicer, though. my GSXR swap is complete, except for building a mounting bracket for the gauge cluster.

The brakes are more immediate, more controlled and constant, and definitely stop harder. I like them a lot. =)

The forks are not adjusted yet, nor am I adjusted to them (i only rode 1/4 of a mile, to check my work). I'll let you guys know how they feel after tomorrow, but I think we all know what to expect.
Ok thanks The new brakes sound great, I'm definitely going to do this mode in the future =)

New pictures of the modified Gladie when finished are mandatory..

Old 05-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
///Matt

Not totally finished, but the forks are done.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
///Matt

Forks and brakes feel amazing, such an improvement over stock.

My bike holds a line in the curve much better, with more stability, takes bumps better, far less nose-dive... This is a must for those who can swing it.

And the clip ons are at just the right place for me, very comfortable, yet not an excessive forward lean.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
vtecpaoche

Bikes: None

What did you wind up doing for the gauges and did you get the steering damper to work?
vtecpaoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
juliana

Bikes: Suzuki Gladius
Miles Kms: 5000
Send a message via Yahoo to juliana

Great job Matt
http://forum.svrider.com/album.php?albumid=198
juliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement