'01N Project - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > The Build Board
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Build Board A place to post a journal or log of your SV / Gladius projects and builds. No replies or discussion are allowed.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
RaoulR

Bikes: Candy Antares Red '01 SV650N (the FASTEST Color)
Miles Kms: miles or smiles?
'01N Project

Well I bought a lot of stuff over the winter, A LOT of stuff... time to start putting it all on.

-Suburban Machinery Type 2 Bars
-636 shock
-008 R/R
-Maviryk's Battery (First Batch)
-Full M4 System with exhaust wrap
-Re-Jet the carbs
-Factory Pro 4-Degree advance key
-Spears Lightened Flywheel

Already Been done:
-Ricor Intiminators
-.85 Sonic Springs
-Super Sprox 44 rear, Red EK Quadra-X Ring Chain, Drive Systems 15 front

Dyno Run from last week:

Teardown pics:

Tweaked the subframe it looks like, when I layed it in a ditch two weeks after I got her.

My hogged-out K&N... won't be putting that back in! Hogged out stocker has more flow!

Don't know where this stuff is supposed to go, it's just floppin around on top of the battery. Somebody can PM me if they'd like and tell me where this is supposed to be mounted!

Better view of the tweaked subframe... I wonder if I can bang it back with a big maul!

Currently

Chainsaw fixes everything! LOL!
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
RaoulR

Re: '01N Project

"So, what's going on Raoul, why no updates?"

Well I decided to try and find a straight subframe as I don't think mine can be straightened easily. It's bent off to the side and it'd take a mighty power (or a portable ram and chassis jig) to pull it back into place. I saw evidence of a big spill when I pulled the rear bodywork off and found that someone had tried to melt a couple of the plastic mounting tabs back together, plus all the bottom mounting tab are gone (this by the previous owner as my little ditch dump wasn't that bad) ... plus I fig'rd with the subframe off it'll be much easier to do the shock and the exhaust.

So I bought a subframe but it too isn't straight. But this one is twisted as opposed to bent sideways like mine. I might try and twist back into shape as i got it really cheap ($40) and any others I've found were really expensive (one guy was asking $150)!

On another note, I have all the parts now to do the carbs... Ivan's kit w/150 jets plus I separately bought 152.5 and 155 jets along with 2 carb 'rebuild' kits and a carb sync tool.

I did remove the fArt can and installed it on KyleGT's '01S. Piece-of-cake when you have access to an air-powered hacksaw! LOL! Hope you're enjoying that can, Kyle!

I'm hoping to get a bunch done Sunday depending on how successful I am at un-twisting that subframe!
RaoulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
RaoulR

Think I've scored a straight subframe, the twisted one goes back! (the guy offered to take it back, way cool!)

... and now that I have my taxes done I can devote all my spare time to getting this back on the road!

Old 04-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
RaoulR

Hadda work my part time job at a Service Station last Saturday and Sunday so I decided to tackle the Carbs on Sunday morning... hoping it'd be slow and I wouldn't get too distracted.

Tools, and a magnifying glass

There they are, in all their slideiferous glory

First I noticed that the idle screw caps were already gone! Woohoo, one less thing to potentially screw-up! THey were already set to 2 1/2 turns so I left them.

Something I forgot was to close the floatbowl drain screws... be a nice surprise when trying to start it up the first time!

3 screws hold the floatbowl on... very tight. Make sure you've got a good screw driver and use some muscle to take these off! I replaced them with hex cap screws.

A little trick... use a paper clip to push the float pivot pins out. On the side with the throttle linkage, the Suzuki engineers saw fit to drill a hole in the brace so the pivot pin can slide out. Wasn't that nice of them!

Really clean inside, I was pleasantly surprised! And because everybody else does it, I labeled the jets that are to be replaced. The main jet was a 136 and the pilot was 15, as it was from the factory.

Distraction at the pumps The guy never got off his bike... a real pro! LOL!

Stuff

Didn't take pix of how the slides come out, but here's one of the stock needle on the bottom and Ivan's on top. I didn't think the stock needles allowed for multiple clip positions, but you can really see the wear on it... and that's with only 8500 miles on the bike (but I suspect they were VERY hard miles)

So anyway, I put 155 mains in, 17.5 Pilot Jet and moved the clip to the highest position on Ivan's needle. After I run it for a 100 miles or so I'll take it in again for another Dyno run.... but not until a full M4 Carbon system, 636 shock, Mav's battery and the R/R mod are done!

Oh yea, and that dang subframe! Curse you UPS!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
RaoulR

small update

What the heck do you'all use to get those nuts to break loose on the dogbones!?! I'm gonna pick-up a 17MM 1/2" drive socket tomorrow... I already have a breaker bar! heh

Got the old exhaust off. A 10" and 6" extension and a universal joint required to get those back exhaust nuts off... laying on your back!

Sent one subframe back (twisted) and haven't received OR heard from the guy who sold me another. Bought one off of ebay but I'm just gonna button it up the way it is for now.

I'm taking Wednesday afternoon to get a bunch done. That'll leave me Thursday and Friday night and all day Saturday to get it all back together. Gonna try and make the Slimey Crud Run this weekend!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
RaoulR

Took the afternoon off to get some quality (read:undistracted!) time to work on getting this finished up, as it was a nice sunshiney day and the temps were near 65

Used jack-stands to support the bike so as to get the shock out. Put boards under the Pit Bull's wheels to get it up higher and then lowered it down onto the footpegs. I DID NOT take them off and turn them around, I just made sure the stands were on the pivots.

It wasn't coming out the bottom, as I wasn't gonna dismantle all that linkage, so it's time to cut up the battery box so it'll come out the top.

There... lotsa room now!

Put the bolts in to see what the difference in length is between the stock and '03-'04 636 shock is.... the answer is not much if any!

Now that the shock was out, I was itching to get the M4 system on... wait, there's something missing! Where's the rear head pipe?

Oops! RTFI first Raoul!

Ahhh, Top Bolt in, all good now! Anybody know what's coming next?

FACK!

No biggie, I'll just run it through from the other side...

NOT!

So off to the station to use the grinder... I can fix this!

Long story short, I hadda take the exhaust off again to get it in the right way as well as grinding down the bolt head... forget you saw those washers... heh
Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
RaoulR

So the shock is in and all the bolts are tight. I guess I went a little overboard cutting away the battery box but I had just eye-balled it

As I went to position the exhaust to line-up the hanger holes, I had the nut and the washer in my left hand wiggling the pipe up and down to line-up the holes while trying to push the bolt through with my right. The washer slipped outta my left hand and went right into the collector. Couldn't see it, had no idea which side it went down so off it all came again. (it was the in left side, if you're keeping score at home)

My cat was enjoying the show.. LOL!

I had forgotten to mention that I put a hose onto the front carb nipple and routed it behind the fan, up the frame and back behind the rear carb.

Put a T into the existing line on the rear carb and used plugs from NAPA. Now I have a single convenient place to hook up the carb gauges.

Here's a pic of the anti-spark retard mod. I got the connectors to come out and I just used heat shrink tubing to keep them from touching anything (or each other) Burn marks shows what happens when you use a lighter to shrink the tubing... heh
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
RaoulR

So it's time to mount Maviryk's battery. First I got a big @$$ zip tie and cut a slot with my dremal. I'm pulling back the rear brake reservoir tube.

Around the back...

... and through the front.

Picked-up some sticky-backed foam

Not pretty but Hey.... I ain't buildin a Tavern! LOL

Fits pretty nice! Used Velcro to hold the fuse/relay box in!

From the back

Next up... the R/R wiring!
Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
RaoulR

@ 12:30 CDT it's alive!

Pix tonite!
Old 05-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
RaoulR

Initial Impression after 25 miles... bogs while opening throttle from 3-4k up to redline, sounds lean up top (putting the K&N back in to test for leanness) Maybe I shouldn't have moved that jet needle clip to the top. Carbs feel outta sync too.

Also the M4 Carbon is disappointingly loud... louder than the fArt can!!! Carb sync may help that some.

Going for another ride now.
Advertisement