Oil Filter / Wrench Sizes - Brief explanation wanted - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Contra7

Bikes: Honda GT Hawk '89; Suzuki SV650S '07
Miles Kms: 35k / 3k
Oil Filter / Wrench Sizes - Brief explanation wanted

Hi, I'm about to change my oil filter myself for the first time on my 07 SV650S. Can someone answer a few questions for me?

1. Are motorcycle oil filter sizes standardized? If not, what sizes do they come in?

2. Is it a better investment to get an adjustable filter wrench?

3. Are any filter or wrench brands better than others for any particular reason?

Thanks.
Contra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
JT-01SV65-AZ

Bikes: 2001 SV650
Miles Kms: 20000
Re: Oil Filter / Wrench Sizes - Brief explanation wanted

I just changed my oil this weekend and did not need a oil filter wrench if you have a set of open end wrenches it will be like a 12 or 13 mm i put a [email protected] wilter on by hand until it came in contact with the engine then twisted it 2 more rotations with my open end wrench. Done and done.

Personally i would not spend the money on a special tool when the tools in a reqular box will work just as good.
JT-01SV65-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
ak1

Bikes: SV650S K3
Miles Kms: 16k (10/2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra7 View Post
Hi, I'm about to change my oil filter myself for the first time on my 07 SV650S. Can someone answer a few questions for me?

1. Are motorcycle oil filter sizes standardized? If not, what sizes do they come in?

2. Is it a better investment to get an adjustable filter wrench?

3. Are any filter or wrench brands better than others for any particular reason?

Thanks.
1. I don't think so. I think ours is like 2 7/8" or something like that... best way is to take the filter to a parts store and try on the wrench or cap you want to buy (see #2).

2. I prefer adjustable. The problem with buying the other "cap" style remover is that if you buy the KN-138a oil filter, there's a 17mm nut at the end of it... you can't use the cap-syle remover in this scenario. But with the adjustable, sometimes the handle bends or they don't grip very well. You want to make sure that when the adjustable wrench is "relaxed", that the ring fits on the filter without too much gap. If you're using the OEM filter, then the cap-style will work wonderfully well. If you buy the cap style, buy metal. Do NOT buy plastic...crap.

3. Oil filter, I like KN-138a. Wrench... I use the ones from Autozone; works fine.

Adjustable wrench

Cap style

EDIT: I've never tried the one below, maybe someone else can post their experience.

ak1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
bighammer

Bikes: 2004 SV650 Yellow

Hand tight for all my vehicles/equipment. Rarely need a filter wrench anymore. I have never had one leak or back off.

The bike is just a large Channel-Lock pliers if necessary.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
drinkbrew
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2008 SV650SF
Miles Kms: 35,000
Send a message via Yahoo to drinkbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1 View Post
Cap style

That's what I use and I like it because I can put an extension on it and take the filter off without removing my fairing. well worth the few bucks I spent on it to save the time and wear of taking my fairing off every 2 months when it's time for an oil change.

I do have one of the adjustable ones too but don't us it on my SV.
drinkbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
SiGuyUWP

Bikes: 08 SV650
Miles Kms: 3400

ak1- I just purchased the last style you posted this weekend. I was doing an oil change on the gf's Saturn, and the place she took it too previously had it seriously tight. It worked really well, it basically crushes into the filter as you turn it. On the SV I have a metal cap style meant for that filter, it works great. I always run OEM filters.
SiGuyUWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
ak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGuyUWP View Post
ak1- I just purchased the last style you posted this weekend. I was doing an oil change on the gf's Saturn, and the place she took it too previously had it seriously tight. It worked really well, it basically crushes into the filter as you turn it. On the SV I have a metal cap style meant for that filter, it works great. I always run OEM filters.
Great, thanks for the review. Do you think it would work well with KN oil filters since they have a nut at the end?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
PatrickE

Bikes: KTM Duke 690

Quote:
Great, thanks for the review. Do you think it would work well with KN oil filters since they have a nut at the end?
You are overthinking it. Just find the appropriate socket that fits the nut on the end of your filter. Use ratchet with that socket. Twist filter off.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
ak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickE View Post
You are overthinking it. Just find the appropriate socket that fits the nut on the end of your filter. Use ratchet with that socket. Twist filter off.
Yes, I know that. The problem with the KN hex nut at the end is that it's coated in paint and edges are a bit rounded. Therefore, sometimes I strip the bolt whether i use a socket or a wrench. Then I go to plan B, a removal tool. I've had this scenario happen about 7 times so far...only happens with the KN filters. And I know how to use tools.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
drinkbrew
Supporting Member

Bikes: 2008 SV650SF
Miles Kms: 35,000
Send a message via Yahoo to drinkbrew

Quote:
Yes, I know that. The problem with the KN hex nut at the end is that it's coated in paint and edges are a bit rounded. Therefore, sometimes I strip the bolt whether i use a socket or a wrench. Then I go to plan B, a removal tool. I've had this scenario happen about 7 times so far...only happens with the KN filters. And I know how to use tools.
I would stop buying k&n filters then
drinkbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement