Its official... GSXR SHOCK IN GLADIUS!! - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Gladius forum
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Gladius forum For all topics relating to the Suzuki Gladius.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
bumblebee

Bikes: 09 SFV650 Gladius
Miles Kms: Getting there :-)
Its official... GSXR SHOCK IN GLADIUS!!

i'll let joe fill you in on what was done.

deb.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
crazymofojoe

Bikes: K6 GSXR 1000
Re: Its official... GSXR SHOCK IN GLADIUS!!

yep thats right,

just finished fitting a 06/07 gsxr750/600 rear shock into bumblebee's gladius.

very straight forward and quite easy to do, couple of little pitfalls, but nothing to cut up and nothing to modify on the bike. basically a direct bolt in.

so what do you need?

1x gsxr600/750 shock (showa) 2006-2007 the reserviour comes straight of the back of the shock 90* to the shaft.

1x high tensile m10 nut and bolt. 55mm long. i couldnt find one at a shop that would be open on a sunday, so i bought a 70mm item and cut it down, no biggie.

tools needed.

12, 14, 17mm spanners
12,14, 17mm sockets and ratchet
6, 4mm allen keys

my supervisor...

firstly remove the entire exhaust system.
remove seat.
remove the left side frame covers in its entirety.
now you can suspend the rear of your bike off the ground, or leave all bolts in place and pull the bike up onto the stand and have someone to remove the bolts and change shocks etc...i had my wife as my helper so i used the lift onto the side stand method

undo the dog bones nuts

loosen the top and bottom shock bolts (14mm spanner on the throttle side, 14mm socket on the clutch side with mid extension bar

have your shock and your bolt and nut laid out and ready nearby.

heave the bike up onto the side stand with the back wheel off the ground brace the bike against your hip and lean over the bike and pull the rear wheel up to unload the bolts, have your friend, remove the dogbones, the standard shock bolts and then let the wheel hang down, then pull the shock out thru the gap between the foot peg assembly and the frame, this takes some patience as it is a tight squeeze getting the shock out.

lower in the new rear shock, now the only pitfall in this is the rubber flap that lives under the battery box stops the shock going all the way up to allow the bolt to pass thru, just lift the rubber flap up and have it sit on the frame rail instead your shock will happily go to its new home now.
ive pointed out the new position for the flap.

use the orginal top shock bolt and nut.
and now use your m10 55mm long bolt on the bottom, ensure the nut you use is no more then 10mm in overall thickness.

clearences are tight but everything does clear safely.

theres 3mm between the bolt and the dog bone and 4mm between the shocks reserviour and the frame rail.

re-install dog bones lower bike tighten everything up, reinstall exhaust, frame covers and seats, set sag, GO RIDE!!!

job done.

all up less then 2 hours work. and less then $50.00 USD to totally transform the bike. it is 200% more planted and settled on the road.

enjoy.

cheers.joe.
crazymofojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
juliana

Bikes: Suzuki Gladius
Miles Kms: 5000
Send a message via Yahoo to juliana

[QUOTE=crazymofojoe;1748887]yep thats right,

just finished fitting a 06/07 gsxr750/600 rear shock into bumblebee's gladius.

Well goodness me Deb and Joe ( and supervosor lol)..where to start?

Thanks for such a comprehensive and cogent step by step procedure, its a great post and real resource for those contemplating the mod. Your mods are getting me so restless haha. Love the pink spring too Debbz!

PS.. I cant tell in the pic..are your dogbones the same thickness as the oem ones?( thinking of the 3mm clearance you mentioned.)
juliana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
crazymofojoe

the dogbones are the same thickness as oem. it wouldnt change the clearance if the dogbones were of different thickness tho, as the room given is dictated by the width of the suspension linkages.

i experimented with spaces behind the dogbones it give a little more room, but in the end stuck to the KISS method and kept it to as few parts as posible, there is NO latitudinal movement or loads on the components so they wont even come in contact.

cheers.joe.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:10 AM   #5
juliana

Bikes: Suzuki Gladius
Miles Kms: 5000
Send a message via Yahoo to juliana

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymofojoe View Post
the dogbones are the same thickness as oem. it wouldnt change the clearance if the dogbones were of different thickness tho, as the room given is dictated by the width of the suspension linkages.

i experimented with spaces behind the dogbones it give a little more room, but in the end stuck to the KISS method and kept it to as few parts as posible, there is NO latitudinal movement or loads on the components so they wont even come in contact.

cheers.joe.
Thanks joe, Ive just checked ebay..im surprised there are so many 600/750 low mileage shocks available all about $50 as you mentioned..which is a great thing of course lol
juliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
enrico vespa

Bikes: 03Z1000 08ZX10R

Last edited by enrico vespa; 11-26-2009 at 01:44 PM.
enrico vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
CBR1000RRonWeasley

I will have a '06 600 shock here in a couple of weeks. How much did you pay for yours? (such that I can get an idea as to what to ask for...) Thanks! Great post!
CBR1000RRonWeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Psychowarden

Bikes: 09 HD XR1200
Miles Kms: 8000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico vespa View Post
What kind of paint did you use on the shock? Will it crack and chip after some use? Considering a shock flexes, so would the paint.
Was wondering the same. I have ordered a shock as well, but not really diggin the yellow paint, would much rather paint it black.

And thank you very much for the write up. The front suspension of the bike doesn't bother me too much. But I'm a healthy 225lbs and the bike does get a little soft in the corners.
Psychowarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
crazymofojoe

its just enamel paint, which doesnt go hard like 2 pack.

you could apply some flexible primer to it if your paranoid

cheers.joe.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
crazymofojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR1000RRonWeasley View Post
I will have a '06 600 shock here in a couple of weeks. How much did you pay for yours? (such that I can get an idea as to what to ask for...) Thanks! Great post!
we are in australia, but bought from the US. it was USD$12.50 for the shock and USD$68 to post it here,

cheers.joe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement