How To: Koso Gauge Installation - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
jfw9

Bikes: 2002 sv650s
How To: Koso Gauge Installation

I decided to write this up as a review of different threads and advice given to me while I was installing this. Special thanks to Nille, 2001chromo and others who helped me via PM.

First is the wiring. The instructions provided by Koso were pretty straight forward but badly translated. For the wire that turns the unit on in response to the key switch, I used the wire for the backlight of the stock gauges.

I wired the tach in series with the negative lead for the front coil. Make sure to change the tach setting on the gauge to 4 cycle, 2 pistons.
You can mount the speed sensor on the left front brake caliper off of the bolt which holds a clip for the original speed sensor. The wheel circumference of a stock SV front wheel is approx 18,100mm. My speedo was still giving me trouble. For troubleshooting the speedometer see the end of this write up.

As far as mounting the gauge, people have given me different ideas. The one that worked for me is shown below. The gauge comes with its own bracket, which I mounted using stainless steel brackets from the hardware store using two bolts which were happily in the perfect spot under the top triple.

Finally the much discussed gas light. There are different ways to do this, I opted for the path of least resistance: an incandescent dummy light. For this, go to radio shack and buy a 'bayonet base with lens' bulb holder (part# 272-325) and some flashlight bulbs (part # 272-1112). Get out your soldering iron and solder on some wire leads. You can then wire this to either the 'you need gas' sensor, red/black wire or the 'you really need gas sensor', black/light green wire. The other lead should connect to orange green. You could also do two lights for both sensors, in which case they share a ground. I only did one for the higher level sensor. The light is mounted in a little piece of plastic just below the tach.

To do this with LED lights see post # 24 of this thread. http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=45256
To try and do something using the gas level indicator in the gauge see post #44 of that thread and let me know what you work out!

For oil and water you temp you need the adapters from Koso. The oil temp adapter is sized M16x1,5. This screws in place of the oil gallery plug and the little sensor that comes with the speedo threads into it.

For water temp you need this:

You need a 26mm. Here's a pic of it mounted on Nille's bike:

Finally, clean up the wiring, you can fit most of it inside the headlight housing.
That just about covers it! For speed sensor trouble shooting read on!

i had a defective sensor, here's the order of action to trouble shoot the speed sensor:
1. Be sure the sensor is lined up directly over the magnets.
2. Be sure the 'N' side of the magnets face the sensor.
3. Check all connections.
4. If still no good, ground the gauge directly to the battery and try it.
5. Move the sensor directly over a magnet, it can even touch, if still no reading you may have a defective sensor.
6. To rule out a gauge or connection problem, where the speed sensor connects to the gauge, bridge the outer wires of the connector on the gauge side using a piece of wire, you should get a reading. If this doesn't work, call Koso.

Last edited by jfw9; 11-13-2009 at 02:23 PM.
jfw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
jfw9

Re: How To: Koso Gauge Instalation

And I mis-spelled 'installation' in the thread title... new thread title FAIL.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
intel_killer

Send a message via AIM to intel_killer Send a message via Yahoo to intel_killer
Re: How To: Koso Gauge Instalation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw9 View Post
And I mis-spelled 'installation' in the thread title... new thread title FAIL.
Fix't for ya!
intel_killer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
nille

Bikes: SVN 650
Miles Kms: quite some...
Send a message via ICQ to nille Send a message via MSN to nille
Re: How To: Koso Gauge Installation

Quote:
...Not sure what size, I think 22mm. I ordered the wrong one...
Nah, don't do it again
You need 26mm
Old 10-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
barwell1992

Bikes: sv650R nekid ;) k3
Miles Kms: 25,000 miles

is that 26mm the inner diamiter of the pipe ? if so thanks so much been trying to find that out so i can make some braided lines up for the rad
barwell1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
jfw9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nille View Post
Nah, don't do it again
You need 26mm
Thanks! Edited the post to include the proper size.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Zuki
Titanium Member

Bikes: 04 Yellow SVS, 05 White SV

Is the info about the temp sensors the same for the 1st and second gens?

oil M16z1,5 and water 26mm ??

22 69 95
Zuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
D'Ecosse
Titanium Member

Bikes: 03 SV650S; Custom Triumph Daytona

Quote:
.. Finally the much discussed gas light. .... You can then wire this to either the 'you need gas' sensor, red/black wire or the 'you really need gas sensor', black/light green wire. Ground it to white/black. ...
The Red/Black or the Black/Lt Green are actually providing the 'ground' through the thermistors - surely you mean to connect the opposite end of the bulb to +12V (Ignition Power - Orange/Green), not 'ground'
Incidentally ground is Black/White (not White/Black)

Quote:
... http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=45256
To try and do something using the gas level indicator in the gauge see post #44 of that thread and let me know what you work out!.....
No disrespect to the OP of that post, but it seems a bit pointless (to me anyway) - it's not a 'level indicator' just an alternate means of displaying what the low fuel level warning light does.
D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Zuki
Titanium Member

Bikes: 04 Yellow SVS, 05 White SV

this might be a dumb question by why cant you use the stock temp sensor. I mean take the wire that send the temp to the stock gages and connect it to the koso temp wire thats coming out of the gages?

22 69 95
Zuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
jfw9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuki View Post
this might be a dumb question by why cant you use the stock temp sensor. I mean take the wire that send the temp to the stock gages and connect it to the koso temp wire thats coming out of the gages?
It reads at a different resistance. When you connect it that way the gauge reads 250F or something like that. You could make it work with different resistors but I didn't feel like testing them, and the adapters are easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement