1st Gen Tach Wiring Question - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 1999-2002 model SV650.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
ejinshin

Bikes: SV650 2000
Miles Kms: 35000
1st Gen Tach Wiring Question

My bike is a salvage title and it had its speedo broken off. I saved up some money and hunted eBay and OEM part sellers to get all my parts.

So, wiring up the speedometer to the harness was easy, and lighting was straight forward. Now I'm wondering which leads I should use on the tach. I've searched the forums and found that I should hook up the Black Wire with the Yellow tracer, but the only problem is, there are 2 Black wires with Yellow(BY) Tracers and then one Orange wire with Green tracer(OG) that all look like they can be connected to the tach.

So, do I wire up the two B/Y wires to the tach, one BY and one OG? Where does the third wire go? Is it a ground? From what I've been reading, the OG is a 12v switch.

I also notice that one of the BY wires shuts off the bike immediately if it comes in contact with the frame or the other wires.
ejinshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Marc
Supporting Member

Bikes: '00 sv650 blue, '01 sv650s red, '76 RD400 green, '76 RD400 red
Re: 1st Gen Tach Wiring Question

How many wires are left from the harness and how many come from the tach? The B/Y from the harness goes to the tach. Then there must be a wire for the temp. light that's in the tach. B/G.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
ejinshin

Actually, in the light, it looks like one of the wires is a BW. So I guess that would be the ground. But the question is, where would I hook up the ground?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
ejinshin

anyone with experience on how to wire this sucker up?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Marc
Supporting Member

I never looked at the back of a sv tach but tachs need a +12 volts and a - feed from the coil. The orange wire is the +12 and the B/Y is the - feed from the coil. The B/G wire is used to turn on the overheated motor light. So if you can figure which terminals on the back to attach the orange and B/Y wires it should work.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
DT SV

Bikes: suzuki sv650
Miles Kms: 5000
Question Re: 1st Gen Tach Wiring Question

"So if you can figure which terminals on the back to attach the orange and B/Y wires it should work."

This is the question!!!

Does anyone know which wire goes to which terminal

I'll take an answer on just one of the two

Wiring diagrams I have don't show the back of the tach or identify the terminals.

If you happen to have yours apart and could take a look it would be a life saver!
DT SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
TeeRiver

Bikes: '03N, '07N
Miles Kms: ~44/gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT SV View Post
...I'll take an answer on just one of the two
Just my 2 cents, and sketchy, so take it for what it's worth. If you follow anything I say here, you might damage the tach.

It looks like there are three wires, and three attachment points on the PC board.

B/W, harness ground or is it B/G per Marc?
O/G, 12v direct from fuse box.
B/Y, Front cylinder ignition coil signal use to determine RPM.

My guess is that B/W, ground (I could be wrong about this), would go to the BottomCenter lug. If you follow the traces on the board, they go everywhere which is characteristic of a ground plane.

That leaves the other two. Since both the O/G and B/Y are both 12v either all the time (O/G), or some of the time (B/Y) I would think it wouldn't hurt if they were hooked up reversed, so you might be able to do an experiment without damaging anything, (famous last words...)

Of course a picture of someones open tach would eliminate the guess work.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Marc
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRiver View Post

That leaves the other two. Since both the O/G and B/Y are both 12v either all the time (O/G), or some of the time (B/Y) I would think it wouldn't hurt if they were hooked up reversed, so you might be able to do an experiment without damaging anything
That's what I would do, orange/blue on left black/yellow on right. Hmmm, I don't see a third wire mount point. Where's that? The only other wire to hook up is the black/green from the temp sensor. I don't think that circuit board uses a black/white ground. The tach is using orange + and b/y from coil. The temp light is using the orange + and gets it's - from the temp sensor when it overheats and causes a ground.

Why do those wire end eyelets look like were in a fire? Also, see all that white/grey stuff on the right side of the circuit board, what happened there? I would take a toothbrush and carefully clean that off.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
TeeRiver

Bikes: '03N, '07N
Miles Kms: ~44/gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
... Hmmm, I don't see a third wire mount point. Where's that? The only other wire to hook up is the black/green from the temp sensor. I don't think that circuit board uses a black/white ground.

Oh, OK I see what you're looking at, (the two philips head screws), and you may be exactly right. Here's what I was thinking.

I was thinking the two Philips screws 1)physically connects the tach needle mechanism to the PCB, and 2)make the two electrical connections to drive the needle.

The three lugs I'm seeing I though would connect to a)power, b)RPM signal, and c)ground. Or, not, lol!smiley Maybe these lugs just physically mount the PCB to the instrument housing?

Where would the PCB pickup ground from if there are only two connections?

And yeah, those wires and board look like hell, definitely need to be cleaned up!

Edited: typos. Edit2: fixed to correspond with post#7
Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
ChevelleFan

Bikes: '99 SV650
Miles Kms: 13,700
Send a message via Yahoo to ChevelleFan

Hey, not to hijack a thread here, but does anyone know if you can swap a 2nd-gen tach/speedo onto a 1st gen? I don't have any problems with my stock '99, I just think the 2nd gen setup looks better.

-Dave
ChevelleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement