Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1st Gen Carb Cleaning/Rebuild - First Timer

24K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  huck 
#1 ·
After a couple frustrating days, I've finally managed to take apart my carbs for a thorough cleaning and replacement of O-rings and such. It turned out to be a major pain with all the threadlock, stripped screws and tiny parts. I don't want to have to repeat this job any time soon so I want to get it right. There are a bunch of specific little things I'm still unsure of.

Is there a decent rebuild video or tutorial with photos I can refer to? I have the service manual, but I would love to have another good resource. I found the "1gen carburetor points" thread, but all the photos are gone.

#2 ·
Yea I hate when photos are hosted on photobucket or whatever and disappear over time. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you directly on the carb rebuild. I hired a guy to come out and do it. He was really cool and did a great job, even sat down and taught me everything he was doing when I had no clue about carbs. It's a pretty intricate process and I'm not sure if it's something that you're going to watch a video or read a guide about and be able to do it right. If you happen to be in Florida, it might be worth giving him a call to come out and show you. If you're not in Florida, he might be interested in consulting you over the phone/online. Here's the website: http://danhoover.net/john/carbold/

#4 ·
without going wayy too into it:

1. remove carbs from bike
2. leave them connected together (no need for the extra work/complication)
3. remove float bowl(s) [4] philips head bolts (p3 screwdriver) one at a time, so you can refer to the original
4. the plastic float comes off by removing the pin where it pivots. the float needle (little metal shaft with a rubber tip) with come off with the floats.
5. take out the jets; (make sure to seperate items you will dunk [all parts that are COMPLETELY metal i.e. needle, jets, pins etc. NOT the float, or the float needle, o-rings etc.) To begin, the jet sitting highest (main jet) comes off with a flathead screwdriver (maybe a f2 or f3). you can also take out the 8mm sleeve holding the main jet and housing the needle. The idle jet sits below the surface so you need a narrow-walled flathead and it must be thin too.

if im not mistaken (its been a while) you're done with the bowl side. Now, flip over and do the diaphrgm.

1. another [4] bolts (be carful there is a spring under the plastic cap).
2. set aside cap and spring for later (no cleaning necessary)
3. carefully remove rubber seal which is atteched to the slide and needle.
4. you can surface clean the needle with some steel wool. or.... use a philips to take out the plastic clip to remove needle be careful a smaller springs sits in there between the plastic clip and needle.

done with diaph.

now with your gutted carb go crazy with carb cleaner and a brush hitting ever nook and cranny with the little red straw that comes with carb cleaner and scrape as much crud as you can. carb cleaner is powerful stuff wear protection.

let all metals items dunk a few hours then spray the carb cleaner through the jets to make sure you can see through the hole in the jet. (mainly on the idle jet, the opening is MUCH smaller) if you cant see through it dunk it more a few more hours. DO NOT try to shove small items through unless you absoulutely know what your doing its made of a soft metal that can easily bend or strip when tightening.

re assemble and done!

hope this helped a bit
cheers! :eek:ccasion14:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.