Troubles starting sometimes - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 1999-2002 model SV650.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
Taghato

Re: Troubles starting sometimes

And yet another update, unfortunately. I came back from my daily commute today and had another look at the voltage. Straight after the ride it was at 12.4 approx. I measured on idle as well and it certainly didn't get over 13.

I've started the bike about five or six times after the new battery was installed. So I'm curious is it charging the battery at all? Or am I just not charging it at all? I read somewhere it takes about 25% charge to start a bike, based on that I'm calculating it is charging, but not enough.

I also did a Diode test on the R/R and that came back with .568, .568 and .552. Does this mean my R/R is busted?

And finally if the R/R needs replacement, would a Electro Sport one be any good?

Thanks every so much for all the info and support so far. I've learned so much already.
Taghato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #12
Taghato

Sorry for the quick assumption and not doing my due diligence. After digging in the diode test thingy some more it seems that having ~ 0.6 volts running through would mean the R/R is still in working order. I would love to get some confirmation on the R/R measurements.

If the R/R is still in good order, next stop would be the stator I guess...

Will look into testing that as well.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
Jay V

Bikes: '06 SVn, '00 SVn project

What voltage do you get at 5000 RPMs?
Jay V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #14
TeeRiver

Bikes: '03N, '07N
Miles Kms: ~44/gal

- As Jay said, the voltage test must be done at 5k rpm. Should see about 14v if charging is okay.

- The Regulator/Rectifier diode test is almost meaningless. It only tests the Rectifier part of the R/R and that section rarely fails. Even if all diodes are good it says nothing about the Regulator.

The only way to test the Regulator is with the voltage test with engine at 5k rmp.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 AM   #15
Taghato

Will do the voltage reading today when I get back from work.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM   #16
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy
Miles Kms: 23,000

If it is the R/R this may be useful to you,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/Mosf...sfetUniRR.html
Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM   #17
Taghato

Thanks for all the info. Took some time to carefully measure everything at the correct points with correct RPMs. Redid the measurements just to double check. It seems that the battery was all that was at fault. All voltages are within their values.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM   #18
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy
Miles Kms: 23,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taghato View Post
Thanks for all the info. Took some time to carefully measure everything at the correct points with correct RPMs. Redid the measurements just to double check. It seems that the battery was all that was at fault. All voltages are within their values.
That's great.To prevent future electrical troubles I service all the connectors.Around every two years I pull apart every electrical connector on my machine/s and clean with Contact Cleaner and then treat with ACF50,

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle/default.htm

and all my bulb holders/coolant hoses/Fuses and holders and fasteners(nuts and bolts etc and linkages) and inside the Headlight Nacelle.

I put aside an evening/Afternoon to do this and if any corrosion found in in or on the Male/Female sides I remove with a bit of 500 grit wrapped on a small electrical type screwdriver then clean with the Above.

Electrical servicing is often overlooked.

You can get it/them on Amazon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement