Need help - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV1000 (03-07) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV1000 (03-07) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to 2003-2007 model SV1000. Sponsored By: Werks Parts

Old 07-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
JoshB

Need help

Ok bike has power everything looks normal I tried to turn her over and she just sets ther turning over but won't start and FI pops up red light starts blinking it shows FI beside red light and at bottom were temp. Reads also when I turned bike off took key out then back in FI is no longer there but will come back if I try to turn over the bike again after tuning over about 3 times the FI will come back.
Need help where to start to fix this.
2007 sv1000s
JoshB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Junkie

Bikes: 06 1k
Re: Need help

put the bike in dealer mode and see what code it's throwing
Old 07-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
jeff721

Bikes: K6 Sv650 Naked

If there is an FI light then there will be a code to decipher. First place to start would be to use a piece of wire to put the bike in "dealer mode" and see what code it brings up in place of the temperature on the gauges.

Here is a link to putting the 650 into dealer mode, not sure, but probably similar if not the same on the 1000: https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118534
jeff721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2019, 02:27 AM   #4
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 41688

Is the battery fully charged...reading 12.7'ish when sitting before trying to start? If not...make it so.

If you've cranked it for a few seconds without starting...it's going to be flooded. You should smell gas in the pipes. If so.....pull sparkplugs and blow out the cylinders with compressed air to remove latent fuel...then install fresh plugs.

With fully charged battery, fresh plugs it should start within a couple cranks. If it does... If not...do NOT keep cranking or it'll flood again. Hold the throttle wide open and try starting and be ready to let go of the throttle quickly so when it starts you don't rev it up real high....bad on a cold motor. Sometimes they need a wee bit of help with the throttle to start as the Fast Idle isn't set quite high enough.

Once you get it running....do the Fast Idle adjust procedure from the manual to make sure it's running fast enough on the Fast Idle cam and it'll start better.
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
China Greg

Bikes: '06 sv1000s, '98 Bandit 1200 modified
Miles Kms: 30K on SV, 140K on Bandit

Always remember the First Rule of Diagnosis:

START AT THE LAST PLACE WHERE HUMANS HAVE MESSED WITH IT
China Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
China Greg

Bikes: '06 sv1000s, '98 Bandit 1200 modified
Miles Kms: 30K on SV, 140K on Bandit

One common problem that will give you an "FI" warning and a red light-

The VACUUM LINE left disconnected from the little 1"x1" Boost Sensor box, screwed to the left side of the airbox.

Make sure all your sensors connections are plugged-in, along with all the hoses.
ESPECIALLY if you, or someone else, was under the tank, fooling around in there. Easy to miss.
China Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
JoshB

Ok it seems I never flooded it as soon as I got home yesterday I threw the key in it and she started right up first turn no hesitation drove her into work next morning, but then she did it again when I tried to leave home my buddy said the fuel pump didn't even kick on I kept trying to mess with it till the F1 code was gone and I figured what the he'll and try turn her over for the 3rd time and she busted off no problem. Like y'all said ill remove the tank and check plugs and wires it seems like an electrical issue. Right?
Old 07-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
JoshB

This is my first bike only thing I've touched is replaced chain pads and oil and made up a new terminal for the main power wire on the battery it was corroded in half I noaloxed all the connections.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #9
JoshB

Ill have to look into the manual have to download one and see what ur talking about fast idle. Also thank y'all I Realy appreciate y'all helping me out.
And I also saw how to put it in dealer mode but will it even show a code without it happening again to make the FI pop up, because it don't stay on.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #10
RecoilRob

Bikes: '07 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 41688

No....Dealer Mode will only show a code if it's present....but some say the actual Dealer scanner can pull out memory codes but in this case it's probably not needed.

One thing while you have the tank up....check the infamous Green Connector in the bank of connectors in front of the airbox. The ignition switch goes into it and from there powers the entire bike, and there have been many cases of them going bad and MANY weird and wonderful things can start to happen when things are getting shorted of voltage and current. If it's OK...then you can move on with a good feeling that you avoided a potential problem but if you find any discoloration of the connector contacts...cut and bypass the connector and it'll be good.
RecoilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement