Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

The Cafe/2Stroke/Single/Twin/Brit/Euro/Cool Bike Pic Thread

8M views 22K replies 707 participants last post by  Hand-Wound Man 
#1 ·
I have been noticing a lot of threads with very cool pictures and links and in conversing with some other frequent posters thought maybe we could try to roll some of the best content up into one place. I look here and on the internet, as well as tv, in printed media and at bike shows and all over, for inspiration for my projects, so with Winter coming hopefully this can be a place for people to look for their ideas too.

Please try to keep this on topic, and keep in mind it isnt necessarily about SV's - classic bikes, cafe racers, GP bikes, thumpers, 2 smokers, Vtwins, euro bikes, and most anything you got. Ok, maybe not the really egregiously ugly 'I wouldnt ride that if you paid me' type bikes though.

*Obviously we cant always control what other outside sources do with their images, links, and content - so over time if this thread continues I am sure there will be dead links and little red x's popping up. I will do what I can to keep my posts updated!

Some of my favorites:

NCR Millona

2004 Suzuka 8hours Endurance Racer Ducati Monster

http://extremegraphicfsmd.com/indexeng.htm
Extreme Graphic Moto Design GSXR

Lazareth Ducati 1000SS

Honda CB1100R

Naked Yamaha RZ500

Dan Gurney Alligator

See less See more
#12,463 ·
I love the hardware on the Jap fours RD, but what's with the sub-frame styling? Time for the wooden spoon?

Completely unrelated, but massively exciting for residents of NE states of America (and Syscrush if he's willing to travel a little bit). I learnt last night that on 8th of April, 2024, you guys are getting a TOTAL solar eclipse. Party on at RD's. In fact, if you are somewhere in the vicinity of southern Illinois/Indiana you'll get two in the next twelve years. On average, for a given location, you are only meant to get one every 350 years!! I'm into lots of other weird sht too. I'm mentioning it on the thread, 'cause you're the only lot I know to live up in that corner of the world.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/eclipse/future.html

#12,466 ·
Re: Tough

I've been relatively well behaved of late. Some may not think this is cool, but I can't stop giggling at this dude.

Giggle all you want. I'm guessing he had some accident that left him blind but great woman at his side that's helping him to live life to the fullest and keep riding.

I built a tandem bicycle for a guy blinded in an industrial accident from just a frame and box of parts when I was about 10 or 12 years old. It was just a fun challenge (like a puzzle) presented by his aunt for my buddy and me, but it struck deep in my soul when I saw it in the newspaper and how much freedom it brought this man who had been big into bicycling before the accident.

#12,468 ·
Well BH, now I feel like kind of a tool for thinking it's still ugly. :)

You make a good point, and one that resonates with a bit of my own experience - this summer my wife and I did a bicycle trip of a bit under 500 miles as part of an organized ride. I saw a couple on a tandem and remarked to my wife that I was glad that she's not the kind of person who could be happy on the back. I was a bit snarky and dismissive about the whole tandem idea.

Well, over the course of a week of cycling and camping, you get to know people. Turns out that he's a very avid cyclist (thousands of miles per year just on his commute, does a bit of racing, too), and she has some back and shoulder injuries that made it almost impossible for her to spend a whole day in the saddle. And obviously a huge gap in fitness/cycling level. They had a tandem custom-built with racy ergos in front for him, and touring ergos in the back for her, and now they can ride anywhere they want and be together. This way he doesn't have to hold back for her, and she doesn't have to over-exert herself to try to keep up with him.

They had the bike built for their 25th wedding anniversary, and it's opened up a whole world of experience to her that she never, ever thought she could take part in. A really great story, actually. And yet, it seems that I still haven't really learned how to stop being snarky as a first reaction. :p

#12,470 ·
That was built by SVR member Sheik*yerbouti (not around much anymore)

http://www.jasonfagan.com/sportMotorcycles/kz1000.html

I guess this is good segway to finally post up about my 1981 Kawasaki KZ1000 cafe racer resto-mod I've been building up since November. Shooting for July 07 completion. Bike was $900, budgeted $4500 to finish. Sunk money, never see it again, it better come out like my mental image or I'm gonna wish I did something different!.... :angry4:

Bought it running but with only 80psi compression, no start w/o ether. Frame off rebuild, Mig weld modified tail frame area, (welding myself with Lincoln ProMIG175 - took a class and cowokers taught me!) new air-tech Kwak H2R fiberglass tail, custom upholstery, custom tank, tail, rebuild all brakes, new lines, rebuild forks, 2004 ZRX 1200 piggyback reservoir KYB clickers...

motor is out for Wiseco 1075cc 10.25:1 big bore, 410 APE cams, 3-angle valve job, new valve springs, etc., dyna coils/ignition, open megaphone V&H exhaust. $1500 and ~110 hp easy.

38mm woodcraft clipons, stock SV rearsets totally relocated, custom top triple, Acewell gauge.

Pcoat frame and smaller bits plus custom paint ~ $1000 for my current two quotes.

ooh ooh, Sunstar black aluminum 17" rims laced with ss spokes to stock KZ hubs (pcoat black), 2.75"w front and 3.75"w rear with Dunlop 205 radial 110/80-17 and 140/80-17 (with tubes - spoked rim).. Big upgrade big bucks, $1200 for rims, labor, and rubber from Buchanans.

#12,471 ·
Have we seen the Yike Bike in this thread yet? All-carbon folding electric... Ummm... Decide for yourself if you want to call this a motorcycle, scooter, personal transport, or toy:

Dude, you really should wear a helmet. And be a hot lady instead of a fat gross old man.

Unfolded, ready for riding.

Folded, ready for transport (weighs just 23 lbs) or storage.

#12,472 ·
Re: Tough

Giggle all you want. I'm guessing he had some accident that left him blind but great woman at his side that's helping him to live life to the fullest and keep riding.

I built a tandem bicycle for a guy blinded in an industrial accident from just a frame and box of parts when I was about 10 or 12 years old. It was just a fun challenge (like a puzzle) presented by his aunt for my buddy and me, but it struck deep in my soul when I saw it in the newspaper and how much freedom it brought this man who had been big into bicycling before the accident.
Well that put me in my place. Apologies to anyone whom I offended.

#12,473 ·
Have we seen the Yike Bike in this thread yet? All-carbon folding electric... Ummm... Decide for yourself if you want to call this a motorcycle, scooter, personal transport, or toy:

Ummm, I saw a moviette of that Yike Bike clipping through heavy traffic a few months ago. It was definitely more effective than a toy, surprisingly stable and maneuverable. If you have the bollicks to brave the traffic on one, you'd get across town more quickly than any four-wheeled transport; probably quicker than a motorbike too seeing as it is not limited to the road. But yeah, leave the inner city or paved surfaces and it's about as useful as tits on a bull.

Have you seen this one? Its front wheel stretches forwards and gives it stability as it speeds up. At slow speeds it's a glorified unicycle doing a permanent mono.

http://www.gizmag.com/uno-unicycle-transforming-motorcycle/16722/.

#12,474 ·
Ummm, I saw a moviette of that Yike Bike clipping through heavy traffic a few months ago. It was definitely more effective than a toy, surprisingly stable and maneuverable. If you have the bollicks to brave the traffic on one, you'd get across town more quickly than any four-wheeled transport; probably quicker than a motorbike too seeing as it is not limited to the road. But yeah, leave the inner city or paved surfaces and it's about as useful as tits on a bull.
I think that it will work very well for what it's designed to do IF local regulations allow. If you can ride it in a bicycle lane wearing a bicycle helmet and without a motorcycle license then you're in business. Ride it to work, fold it up, cart it up to your desk to charge until it's time to go home. Great!

However, the fact that you can't pedal it would mean that it wouldn't be classified as an electric bicycle in a lot of jurisdictions, which would mean that it would get regulated as a scooter or low-speed motorcycle. Here in Ontario, that means a special license, motorcycle helmet, and being stuck with the rest of the stupid traffic - no filtering, no use of the bike lane.

I think it's very cool and would consider getting one as a commuter, except for the fact that it would never fly here because of the regs, AND I'm too f'n fat as it is doing my commute on foot or by bicycle. :p

Have you seen this one? Its front wheel stretches forwards and gives it stability as it speeds up. At slow speeds it's a glorified unicycle doing a permanent mono.
Seen it, it's a pretty cool bit of technology, but sort of looks like a solution without a problem. :)

#12,477 ·
In my opinion

With a set of clip-ons this would be a killer piece of US prime beef!
Clip-ons look COOL and allow you to tuck in behind fairings (but we've already established that fairings are pretty much pointless). So that leaves clip-ons as COOL only; which means that they are relevant to the thread.

BUT bars are tougher, more controllable, easier to maneuver at slow speeds, protect your bike in an off, allow better beside and behind vision, save your back, shoulders, neck, arms and in some cases your 'nads. They're just better. This is a statement; not an invitation to argument, 'cause others get feisty about pointless arguments.

I think the Buell looks cool with bars. IMO!!

I liked that Kwaka built by the Sheik too. IMO though - the number "69" stuck on the side is up there in tackiness with "Cafe Racer".

#12,480 ·
Re: In my opinion

(but we've already established that fairings are pretty much pointless)
Oh sweet, we're going there again :D

Look, you have your opinion, and that's cool, but if you think it's gospel, think again.

bars are tougher
Really. You think your bars could beat up my clip ons? I don't think so.
more controllable
Yup, worked well for Rossi last year.
easier to maneuver at slow speeds
How slow are we talking?
protect your bike in an off
Just like clip ons...
allow better beside and behind vision
Funny, I thought that too, until I watched guys riding bike with bars moving their elbows too...
save your back, shoulders, neck, arms and in some cases your 'nads
Sure, ignore those core muscles, they're only ornamental...
They're just better
Well clearly that's not the case.
This is a statement; not an invitation to argument
There's no argument, you're clearly wrong.
cause others get feisty about pointless arguments
Nothing pointless about stopping the perpetuation of myths. Mate, if you're going to keep talking ****e, you're going to keep getting shot down, zip it or start a thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.