Coming back from an accident - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Riding Skills, Safety Techniques & Lessons Learned
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Riding Skills, Safety Techniques & Lessons Learned Improve your personal riding skills, preventing crashes & aftermath

Old 08-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
InTheStreet

Bikes: 2007 SV650S
Miles Kms: 16650
Re: Coming back from an accident

I was hit and injured, though not as badly as you, last November. After carefully reviewing it, I realized the only thing I could have done differently that would have reduced my chance of being hit was not to be riding in heavy traffic. My lane position, speed, etc. was all carefully chosen. I was hyper aware I could be hit in exactly the way I was and had the clutch and brakes covered and throttle hand ready to react if someone tried to turn in front of me. But when the car darted out, there just was no way to avoid them because there were too many cars.

I got back on as soon as my broken hand, damaged meniscus and tendinitis healed enough for me to ride comfortably (physically and mentally, that I had enough strength.) I planned a route directly out of the city, and went at a lower traffic time. I was still very anxious. I rode slower. I braked earlier and hard for turns. I was clumsy. But I really wanted to ride.

My wife understands how important riding is to me, so she just asked that I give up riding at night. Not because I was hit at night, but because she worries more at night. All other non-riding friends and relatives were astounded-nearly-to-the-point-of-offended that I would get back on a bike. Oh well. They've gotten over it.

I got back on the road by planning easy rides for myself. Short solo rides on roads I know well and enjoy with little traffic and few intersections. It felt rough at first, but I got comfortable again. I ride a little more conservatively now than I did, but I think I'm probably a better rider for it all.

Good luck. If you love riding like I do, I hope you can get back out there.
InTheStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
r0ckrat
Greetings Program

Bikes: '06 SV650N
Miles Kms: >60k

Nothing really to add here, when I crashed I ended up with a bruised rib, and it took a little over a month to get the bike back to being ready to ride, and I was chomping at the bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDesmond View Post
Never had a bad street crash, but racing crashes I was always chomping at the bit to get back on the bike.

In the end, it's a very personal decision. If, afterwards, you still enjoy riding and aren't "riding scared", and if the risk/reward equation still works for you, then keep riding. If it doesn't, don't. No right or wrong either way.
What rich said really sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveSLO View Post
Don't go back to using the bike as daily transport unless you have no choice.
WTF? OP - make your own decision. There's nothing wrong with a bike as daily transport.

Yes, it increases exposure, but what doesn't? Spending more time on the bike is spending more time on the bike. If that is what makes YOU happy and doesn't make waves with the missus, then do it. Or don't. But don't let someone else make that decision for you.
I didn't want to be THAT obvious. The man is dealing with his wife. Let it be her idea, dummy!
r0ckrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
free range veal

Bikes: 06 650
Miles Kms: 19000+

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. Sorry for making a thread where we all compare scars.

Me, I feel like I'm ready to ride (even went to a dealer last week just to sit on a bike).

I know it's a personal choice, etc. but I wanted to get "the wisdom of the crowd" on this one. My wife seems to begrudgingly coming to the idea I am going to ride again. My kids have only known me with a motorcycle.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #14
Edger61

Bikes: 2009 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Kms: 14,200

I felt I had to lay my bike over, in a bad traffic area to avoid hitting workmen...who were milling around in a un-coned zone...did what I had to do, totalling Suzie's nose....now prepping to go nekkid. Some scrapes, little swollen, in a couple of places, but I did my best, in a bad spot. I wish I'd taken a 'right', prior to all the traffic mess.
Edger61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #15
steveSLO
AARP Moderator

Bikes: '08 SV650N/abs
Miles Kms: 20,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edger61 View Post
I felt I had to lay my bike over, in a bad traffic area to avoid hitting workmen...who were milling around in a un-coned zone...did what I had to do, totalling Suzie's nose....now prepping to go nekkid. Some scrapes, little swollen, in a couple of places, but I did my best, in a bad spot. I wish I'd taken a 'right', prior to all the traffic mess.
Does your bike have ABS? If so, it must have malfunctioned.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #16
Jimmy22

Bikes: 2003 nekkid SV650
Miles Kms: 46,000 miles

i agree- if riding is something you enjoy and want to do, then do it. If not, then don't. You don't owe anyone an explanation, much less to a bunch of people on the internet.

Somewhat related to the discussion here, my daughter recently bought her first bike which is a different kind of worry. It's a dual sport, older than she is. I hope I convinced her to stick to dirt riding for the foreseeable future, and hopefully forever. There's plenty of public land out where she lives so off-roading is great, and she doesn't need a bike for daily transportation. I think that because I ride, my advice has a little more credibility than people who just have a knee jerk opposition to motorcycles.

I'm interested in hearing from others in this situation of being both a parent and a fellow rider. My daughter is also an open water scuba diver, so I've long since got used to the fact that she engages in risky activities, just like I did and do.
Jimmy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
steveSLO
AARP Moderator

Bikes: '08 SV650N/abs
Miles Kms: 20,000

Daughters and granddaughters? None of mine ride, partly because I won't subsidize bikes (or cars, unless I am involved with the choice).
Also partly because I repeat this factoid every time they see me riding
Quote:
"You are a good, careful driver. If you ride a motorcycle with that same level of skill and care, you are ten times more likely to have an accident"
Advertisement