Clean and Simple CBR600 Build - Page 5 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > The Build Board
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Build Board A place to post a journal or log of your SV / Gladius projects and builds. No replies or discussion are allowed.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #41
Knifemaker87

Bikes: White 'n Blue 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7.5 k
Send a message via AIM to Knifemaker87
Re: Clean and Simple CBR600 Build

I did get some work done...

"stock" headlight brackets

most of the machining done

and on the bike.. sorry for the crappy pictures.. i left my camera at work.

gonna do some CF work next...
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #42
Knifemaker87

I made another set of side-covers, this time using a vacuum bag system. I got my mold ready by cleaning it, waxing it, and then sprayed it with a florocarbon dry release agent.

Then i got all my materials ready. 5 layers of carbon fiber of varying orientations, weaves and weights. I also cut out the peel-ply, breather, and thick fiberglass to soak up the extra resin.

after applying the resin and cloth, i put it all in a bag, and pull it down under a vacuum. the peel-ply keeps everything from sticking to the part.

once it has cured, i pull it out of the bag

then i pull everything off the part and see how i did... not bad.

These parts were mostly to pilot vacuum bagging the tail... but i needed extra side-covers anyway.

tail comes next.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #43
Knifemaker87

fitting the side-cover

Gratuitous shot...

Mold prepped

and primed

Sounds like i will be getting some USD forks, in trade for some knife work... as it is part of the job... i will put it all up here
thanks Zach!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #44
Knifemaker87

okay... update time here...
USD forks are going to be MINE! bwahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fslflint
heres the pics I could find of the front end. I think I can make the yokes look allot better with some minor machine work

now i just need to source some new 320mm dia rotors that will fit a f2 rim... that are super cheap. any ideas?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #45
Knifemaker87

okay... well, apparently what i need are 2004-2006 R1 front rotors. anybody got any they would be willing to part with? Hit me up.. we can work something out.

Okay.. on a side note, i am trading a knife for these forks, so i thought i might put in some simplified info and picture about making the knife.. as it is actually build related.

okay.. always gotta start out with a plan, even if it is in your head, otherwise you just make crap. so.. here is a drawing. i had several things to go on; blade is 5" or less, very thick tough blade to put up with abuse, a drop point, and a modern tanto tip. so, here you go:

then i sawed it out (roughly) and profiled it on the grinder. i forgot to say, this is 5160 spring steel.

then i rough round in the bevels. I will heat treat it next before drilling the handle pin holes and lanyard hole.

more to come soon
~Chris
Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #46
Knifemaker87

Well... i have an update for you.

Knife work:
I cut out the handle material. Horse stall mat; the ultimate handle material

cut the holes and transferred them to the handle material

then i roughed the handle out and glued it on before flaring the tubes. the string holds it tighter than clamps

glue dry, string off,

and.. the finished product ready to cut

i have been doing some machine work as well.
new 50mm headlight clamps... (there are 16 of them total)

and the beginnings of a clip-on

and... here are the finished clip-ons. i am re-making the bars with a solid stainless stell adapter and beef up the screws to 1/4-20's the clamps and bars are 6160-t6 aluminum and the adapters are 7075. they will be 416 stainless

So... my wife and i drove up to MD to get the front end and give Zach the knife today.

i am now in possession of a USD front end with custom triples. thanks Zach!

and... i just had to try out the clip-ons

the triples will be getting a stem of their very own for Christmas as well as a face lift and liposuction. makeover time!

i cant throw out enough rep for Zach and all he was done. and Denver donated some 320 rotors. thanks man!

more to come...
Old 12-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #47
Knifemaker87

I stripped cleaned, painted and rebuilt the brakes...
my wife rocks. in exchange for watching a chick flick with her i got to do all the brake work on the coffee table instead of the freezing garage!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #48
Knifemaker87

I have been pulling 12 hour days for the last week trying to get this project we are working on done, but some of the time i am just watching the machine run... so i got some work done on the top triple.

Here is how it started out.

I set up the 50mm slug to center the triple on the turntable so that i could switch sides without having to setup every time.

slimmed down a bit

I then laid out my lines to cut the pockets.

i still need to do the final passes and clean everything up, but here is what it looks like now.

I also found out that i get Christmas Eve off, so i will be trying to knock out the final CF tail while my wife is at work.
thanks so much!
~Chris
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #49
Knifemaker87

I was kinda busy this past week/weekend. Merry Christmas! we also got a foot of snow, canceling our holiday travels, so i did get the tail made:

Cloth prepped and ready

ready for a little hand-work. sorry i didn't get more pictures. i kinda hand my hands full.

I also got an F3 wheel from a guy here at work to play around with. I will prolly end up taking it off his hands so i can use the 320mm rotors i have.

And i took the OEM front end off to pull out the steering stem to put it in the new triples.

And... as it turns out, the triple that i cleaned up is the lower triple. Oops. i thought it was the top.

more to come soon. working 12 hour days over the holidays...
Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #50
Knifemaker87

I do have a small update:

I pulled the stem out of the old triple. well the existing hole in the new triple fit perfectly. for a press fit. I did want some assurance however that it wouldnt be coming back out, but i couldnt weld it since the triple is aluminum and the stem is steel... so... i threaded the inside of the stem.

Sadly, the only thread that would work was a 1"-20 so i tapped it. easy work. then... i find out they dont even MAKE 1"-20 bolts... so.. now i need to make a "bolt" (pictures later today)

I was able to slap the forks on. the top triple needs to be modified to accept the stem, but otherwise...

more coming today...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement