Clean and Simple CBR600 Build - Page 4 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > The Build Board
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Build Board A place to post a journal or log of your SV / Gladius projects and builds. No replies or discussion are allowed.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #31
Knifemaker87

Bikes: White 'n Blue 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7.5 k
Send a message via AIM to Knifemaker87
Re: Clean and Simple CBR600 Build

Hey yall
I did a good bit over the long weekend, and i will prolly take two posts.

I got to work, and started by sanding and polishing the tail in prep for laying the mold.

Then made a template for the splitter-plate

Transferred that onto Masonite

I used bondo to hold it on the tail.

The used clay to fill in any gaps the bondo left.

Figured out what shape of cloth i needed then cut out all my layers. One layer of very light glass, three medium weight and one heavy layer.

I got everything ready, and then l brushed on the first layer of resin

the first layer of glass going on... the light glass cloth is very flexible and transparent making it easy to spot defects, and usually leaves fewer flaws.

And... all 5 layers on and dry

Splitter plate removed and ready for the second part. I wax and release the whole thing, the fiberglass flange too.

Side two layed up

Now i am trying to get the parts off, you can see here that the whole part is still stuck to the tail except fro right at the split where i have been prying at it.

Now after working at it, you can see how the whole part has separated from the tail.

Side one off

Both parts off and bolted together. (the wholes were drilled while it was still on the tail

And here you can see i have started working on adding some radii to the part so it will match the tank a little more.

thanks for watching...
more to come soon
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #32
Knifemaker87

I also worked on the side-covers.

I got the parts ready and did the final body work before spraying them with primer, sanding and polishing them

Figured out what the cloth needed to look like

then cut out all the layers, ready to lay up

Got everything set-up and ready

Here is one side laid up and curing

And the mold removed... still needs a little clean-up

now i am just getting all the molds ready to make real carbon parts.
that is next...
thanks for looking
~Chris
Old 10-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #33
Knifemaker87

well....
i ran into a bit of a snag...

I got the mold sanded, and bondo'ed then i sprayed a little primer in there to help me see what i was doing.

The primer goes into all the dips and mistakes...

so then i sanded it smooth (this goes for both sides)

a little bit more primer, and sanded to 1200 grit, then 4-5 coats of wax, bolted together then PVA. in other words, ready to lay up the carbon.

I had all my peices cut out and ready to go...

And then.. disaster struck. I had already practiced laying up the carbon inside the mold with the brown paper templates, but with the resin, the cloth was unmanageable.... so i ended up cutting the peices in half and laying the parts up sperately.

This will add a step, but the parts will be better.
so... they cured, and before removing them, i used a razor to mark the exact edge of the mold on the part.

then i popped them both out

I trimmed them to the line, and viola! here is the tail. (it is going to need some sanding.. dont worry, the red will come off)

so then, i will bolt the parts back together and run carbon down the seam.

The benifit with this is that i will do twill for the next tail, and it will look even better with a seam down the middle. i can get the pattern to mirror itself.

I also got the side-covers done.
Molds ready for carbon

and then all laid up

anyway.. i will post pictures as soon as the resin cures.
thanks!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #34
Knifemaker87

Good morning yall!
well... my brother came home this weekend. He was spent 8 months training for the military, so some time WAS spent hanging out, but at the same time... i did get some work done.

I roughed up the surface where i would be laying up, re-released the molds and then bolted them together again.

then i cut the cloth mixed the resin and laid the cloth down over the seam. I used gracually wider strips of cloth starting with something only about 3/8" wide and ending up with about 3" wide. about 5 layers.

I also put another layer of Carbon on the side covers to make them a little siffer.

So then, the next day i took it out of the mold and cleaned up the join line. The part is extremely rigid... and light. 0.7 lbs to be exact.

and compared to some of the stuff that i cut off the tail...

Likewise i cleaned up the side covers...

And the flimsy steel counterpart...

so... i guess you want to see it all together. (i know i did)

Side covers need some tweaking.

And... playing around with the headlight. the ignition mount needs to be trimmed off the triple, and the front fairing stay bracket needs to go, so that it will fit right. this is too high, but safety wire is only so good.

anyway... this tail will be a pilot then a back-up. I will fit it to the subframe, weld on the mounting tabs, and then transfer the final shape back to the mold, so i will have a clean part what is ready to bolt on. I have also learned alot of things that i can apply to the final tail. And i will still have a back-up should something happen to final part. (plus i will still have the molds)

thanks for looking!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #35
Knifemaker87

i do have an update.. but sadly it is hard to fit body work to the motorcycle when you dont have he motorcycle in front of you, however, i have been able to use my time well and am halfway through doing the valves.

But first, i do have a question. I know people buy shim kits, nothing in the Haynes manual says anything about fitting, replacing or measuring the shims... what am i missing? i am going to re-lap the valves, so i would assume it is necessary.

Okay to jump right in.

here is the head with the valves in (i took two out before realizing i needed this picture)

Then i rigged up my handy dandy very expensive special tooling

the clamp has a round piece of soft metal on the bottom to contact the face of the valve, and then uses the piece of pipe to compress the spring retainer but not the followers so i can use a pair of tweezers and get them out, freeing the valve.

As you remove the valves, make sure you keep them not only separate but labeled so that you can put them back in the correct spot. I used bags. it also allowed me to record the valves stem diameter as well as the inner and outer spring free length to see if they were in tolerance.

Then i cleaned up the valves (making sure to keep them in separate)
before:

after about 1 min on the wire wheel:

so today i am hoping to clean the head, lap the valves and if possible, get them back in.

thanks for looking!
~Chris
Old 10-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #36
Knifemaker87

I did finish the valve job, and have some pictures.

these are the surfaces that the valves seal against, and what will be lapped mostly.

So you use some coarse lapping compound and apply it to the valve like so:

and, being very careful to not get any compound on the valve step, install the valve in the head. I used a peice of rubber hose to rotate the valve while pulling it against the face.

this is a valve that had been lapped.

installing them back in...

all cleaned up and put back together. i cleaned out the ports as well.. just wasnt able to get a good picture.

and then a few other random things...

I got a new power source

started a radiator overflow reservoir out of a past bike... I snapped this off on a gaurdrail. sheared clean at the lower triple, and it has been floating around. it means i dont have to cut threads for a cap.

I also got the tail trimmed and fitted. unfortunately the placement of the tail-light changed a little bit, so i have to figure out how to re-weld the bracket inside while completely blind.

I cant decide, i can make the tail-light flush; like this:

or, i can make it protrude slightly. it kinda breaks up the flow a little bit, but also looks cool. sorry, no picture i will update with pictures tonight.

thanks so much for looking and helping!
~Chris
Old 10-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #37
Knifemaker87

trying to keep it up:

Gas-cap fitted

tail-light re-installed (this was a major pain in the butt)

and put the engine in:

Well... it was so nice to see everything together.. that i just had to throw on all i could. that and i really wanted to see what kind of angle i am going to need to cut the Ti headers to..

I put on my F2 radiator... as i dont know that my r6 radiator is going to work.. but the F2 radiator is pretty rusty and i dont want to contaminate the new engine. ideas?

Its a tall ride right now, but i am going to change that some with the new swinger.

it is the first time it has actually looked like a motorcycle.. so.. a few more pics

thanks for lookin!
~Chris
Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #38
Knifemaker87

Not much time to work on the bike since we got the new house... been working on getting the garage into workable shop.

did some photo-chopping for paint-jobs...
some of the final contestants

Also was given a 900rr swinger and wheel. gonna have to figure out the suspension mount..

a 180/55/17 vs 160/60/17
Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #39
Knifemaker87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syscrush View Post
I'm not a fabricator, but I'd start by getting the swinger and wheel mocked up in place so you can start taking some measurements. See how far out-of-center the wheel is, and then look at stuff like the wheel spacers and the swingarm pivot to figure out where you'll be best able to remove some material on one side, and add more on the other to get your wheel lined up. If you're lucky, you might only need to modify wheel spacers.
a very good plan. i will try and get working on it as soon as i have some room in the garage.

i got some measurements and pictures last night.

the swingarm has been modified already, but it looks like just one side...

width of the 900rr swinger: roughly 9.625"

Stock swinger: roughly 9.125"

another guy put this swinger in his F2 and said he, "took 3/8 inch off each side" so since the one side has been tweaked already, i will have to adjust. 9.625-6.125=0.5 0.5-0.375=0.125 so i will take 0.125" off on the tweaked side and the full .375" on the untouched side.

looking at the inside of the frame there may be room to shave if necessary, then make spacers to center the wheel if needed. some bronze spacers perhaps?

stock linkage should be transferable.

so now i just need to get things in the garage figured out, so that i can actually work on this.

Oh, and i just got access to a vaccum pump, so i am going to be re-making the sidecovers, and then making the final tail.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #40
Knifemaker87

Okay...
small update here. the garage is becoming more work-able by the day. i have all the power run and almost all the lights. i hope to be finished soon.

I got my paint...

and the blue-green shift pearl

I also made the headlight bracket clamps...

I cant decide whether to lave them as brushed aluminum or to anodize them or paint them... what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement