Clean and Simple CBR600 Build - Page 3 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > The Build Board
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Build Board A place to post a journal or log of your SV / Gladius projects and builds. No replies or discussion are allowed.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #21
Knifemaker87

Bikes: White 'n Blue 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7.5 k
Send a message via AIM to Knifemaker87
Re: Clean and Simple CBR600 Build

Okay! update time.

So.. my truck threw a rod about two weeks ago... and blew a hole in the side of the engine. this is the result:

so i spent the next two weeks searching for a replacement. the plan was to buy a $500 car (which is what i could afford...) my parents said that they wanted to use some of the money they set aside for my college (which i never used as i got a full ride) to get me a new truck. (so they could use it too!) anyway.. so i found and purchased this:

So now with money in the bank and a car sale pending, i can get back to work.

here is the 01 R6 radiator that i got to replace the stock one:

I won some F2 front brake calipers on ebay for $0.99 + $12 shipping.. and when the box arrived it contained this:

Front brake calipers
rear brake caliper
Master cylinder
Clutch lever and cable
Left clip-on controls and choke cables
Right clip-on controls (no ignition)
Front sprocket cover

all in all worth the $12 :LolLolLolLol:

So, now i need to figure out which bearings to buy so that i can put the bike back together. Any help here would be appreciated.

So that is:

Crankshaft:
L 11111
L BBBB

Crankcase:
BABBB

And for the pistons:
1 B2
2 B2
3 B1
4 B1

Which bearings do i need? i am pretty sure i need:
rod bearings: 2 brown 2 green
cranshaft: 4 yellow 1 pink

can i get confirmation on that?

Then.. i did some cleaning. this was the area around thre sprocket.. very cruddy

More to come!
thanks
~Chris
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
Knifemaker87

Okay... got the engine parts ordered... so now i have to get the engine ready to re-assemble.

first i had to clean the case... which was a real pain. the skin is still missing on most of my knuckles. (sorry for the crappy cell-phone pic)

masked off:

primer:

Covers and accents get VHT gold... (the front of the oil cooler is the main engine color... i dont know if it will stay that way)

and the basic color scheme:

Also got the calipers cleaned, sand blasted, and painted. i did the Nissin emblems in black.. but didnt get a picture.

Also, i think i may have figured about a major source of oil/coolant contamination. This is one of the collars and 0-rings going between the oil cooler and main engine... replacements have been ordered.

well hopefully i will have more to show you soon. once the bearings come in i can start putting things back together.

thanks!
~Chris
Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
Knifemaker87

hey yall!
been doing a little work...

first off, i am going to need to make a new header as i would like to have the Jardine can under the engine. for that purpose i got a 954 header for $9 on ebay. yeah $9 that was nice. anyway i am hoping to modify it to fir the F2 or use the beautiful curvy pipes to make a custom header.

i also got the 2" pipe 4-1 collector in the mail.

Then... i got bored. I cant actually do any work on the motor till i get the parts from CheapCycleParts (and it is taking forever) so i decided to use some of the war weather to do some composite work.

I got the tank dents all worked out and the sprayed it with primer. Some wet-sanding to get it smooth and then a gentle cleaning with soap and water. as with painting, in order to get a good end product you have to do your prep well.

So... #1 clean the surface you are going to bond to.

then.. #2 you cut your overlay material to size. this keeps you from wasting valuable time and material while your resin is mixed.
in this case i am using carbon

then, #3 you make sure that alllll your stuff is in order. that means brushes, gloves, solvent,
or anything else you spread that resin. (no pic.. sorry)

#4 Coat the entire surface FIRST. this allow you to get better adhesion as well as giving the cloth something to "stick" to. (keeps the pattern pretty too)
my hands were messy, so no pic of this stage. imagine a primer colored tank covered in resin

#5 lay the cloth down and smooth it evenly (symmetrically too if possibly) so that it stick to the surface. the resin i was using had a pot life of 12 minutes so i got my sister to help lay the resin. (this is why preparation is key)

#6 brush the rest of the resin on the smoothes cloth and continue to monitor how well it is adhering to the curves of the part. certain areas will want to pull away or bubble... just just brush it back down. the resin in the fabric will take longer to set up that in the mixing cup (due to the volume)
so here you go...

you are done.... sorta

you wil want to trim the excess off before it cures too long. You can cut it off with scissors with a low layer count and semi-hardened resin (prolly your best bet) then... put another layer of resin on. and it looks like this:

Now... if you want to make something not stick, you would do what i did for the undertail panel

#1 prep/clean... just make sure it is smooth and clean.. ( i have also added material extending past the edges to make sure i get all of the part that i want, no ragged edges.)

#2 Wax. i use car wax first, then after buffing that out, i use some bowling ally wax. works great. technically at this pint you could put resin on it and it would most likely not stick, but use some PVA (poly vinyl Alcohol) and that will make sure it doesnt stick.

#3 Cut you material.. this time you have to cut your layers. depending on how thick/heavy/flexible you want it.. cut out your layers. I used i thin layer of carbon one very heavy layer, three heavy fiberglass (for thickness and expense) and one more thin carbon fiber.

#4 Get ready.. materials layers "mold"

#5 Now, you want to mix the resin and again, apply the resin first to the "mold" then lay your first layer of glass or carbon. this is the most important as it is the one that you will see (usually.. ) then, smooth the cloth down spreading the resin through it evenly. repeat for each layer.

i didnt leave those glops of resin on there.. i promise.

again, i apologize for lack of pictures. messy hands. i have more stuff to do, more pictures to come.

#6 let it cure before attempting to remove it. i really wanted to try and take the part off as soon as it looked cure. DONT DO IT! until the resin has fully cure (overnight is usually good) even if you manage to remove the part successfully without destroying it, your part can warp or deform after removal.

save yourself some heartache go drink a beer find someone better looking than yourself to hit on, and come back later. (i'll have pictures of that part overnight =D)

Then, i came home to my hottie, and found out that my parts cam in! $275 worth of parts? looks kinda pathetic if you ask me.

anyway, till next time yall!
thanks for reading.
~Chris

Last edited by Knifemaker87; 09-24-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #24
Knifemaker87

i also have more pictures!
the undertail is cured:

It came right off the waxed mold:

Weight comparison:
Steel 22 gauge

Carbon fiber 3 layers of carbon 3 of fiberglass

I still have some trimming and fitting to do

I also got started sanding the tank

more pictures soon!
~Chris
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #25
Knifemaker87

finally got some pictures up!

I rebuilt the brakes...

The old vs. new oil cooler collars/o-rings

installed the undertail (it still need a bit of final trimming)

and sanded the tank.. hello lung failure

all down to 220 and i have almost all the low spots out.

And.... i had to put a bit of clear on there to see how it turned out. looking better!

well i am hoping to get some more done tommorow. i finally got some plasti-gauge, so i hope to start putting the engien back together, and i also am getting the tail ready for CF

more later!
~Chris
Old 10-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #26
Knifemaker87

Oh.. and i have some engine rebuild pictures.

the first thing to go back in was the transmission. everything was cleaned up and gorgious.

then, because it is a pain to do it with the pistons installed, i checked all the connecting rod bearings with plastigauge to make sure that there was the proper oil clearance on the new bearings.

now.. the way to do that is this:
first... you figure out what size you need. then you buy it (i recommend using money for this, but... gold coins work as well)

Then you cut a section roughly the width of the crankshaft journal corresponding to the connecting rod, and lay it across it.

Then, install your connecting rod, and trying not to rotate it on the journal, torque the bolts down to the specified amount. For these it was 19 ft-lbs.

then carefully remove the connecting rod trying not to turn it. when you pull it off, you should see some smushed plastic; measure this with the gauge provided.

all my connecting rod bearings were right in the middle of spec, so i the proceeded to repeat the process with the crankshaft.

All the bearings were also in spec, so i proceeded to install the pistons.
here they are, all clean.

had to check the new rings for the proper end gap, which they all did

Installed the rings

Installed the pistons

Then, i removed the crankshaft and cleaned all the bearing surfaces very thoroughly and made sure not to touch them with my bare fingers (this is a no-no apparently) and then liberally applied Lucas assembly lube to the bearings and journals (it helps to eliminate dry starts) then bolted the connecting rods to the crankshaft and torqued the bolts down.

Now that the pistons were in it was time to put the crankcases back together. I applied Ultra Black (which is actually gray) gasket maker to the correct areas of the crankcases made sure everything lined up, and put that sucker together. I dont have any pictures of the sealant as i had to work quickly. I then bolted the case halves together in the specified order.

Here you have the cases back together, and with the alternator cover on for show

More to come! the hard part is done.
thanks for reading!
~Chris
Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #27
Knifemaker87

and now i have an update...

I put in the transmission shift dogs first as the transmission shafts are in.

then put in the shift drum, alligning the tabs on the transmission forks.

then slide the pin through the forks... and the transmission is done. all of this is with some Lucas assembly lube.

then put in the alternator rotor

and transferred the coil to the new cover

rebuilt the starter and added some bling

added the cam chain and rear guard

then i found out that the gear shift spindle was bent and had been badly repaired.

scored a new one on ebay for $7 just have to wait for it to arrive

cleaned and reassembled the oil pump

Installed...

engine shot..

body shot...

okay... this sounds reallly funny, but what ties the crankshaft to the transmission?! i mean they dont connect in any way right now... what ties them together?

thanks so much for reading!
~Chris
Old 10-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #28
Knifemaker87

and... i have a small update as well.

i got the water pump installed. new o-rings all around. not sure i like the black yet.

Got the oil cooler together and installed. New seals, o-rings and collars. still not sure if the black is what i want.. maybe if it was flatter... but i really didnt want EVERY cover to be gold. it just becomes too much.

then i started playing around with the header. as it turns out the 954 header is Titanium... which foils my plans of welding them myself. it also turns out just about no-one welds titanium, but did find a freind of a freind who would weld it up for me. could be pricy though.

the plan is to weld the pipes back onto the stock flange (so i have to get the pipes in the right spacing and flatness), and then make a steel flange to mate to it. that flange will have the collector and the inlet pipe on it. well.. you know what they say about the plans of men...

I am not sure that the angle of the pipes is quite right.. but then i dont have the oil pan and it isnt in the bike... so once i get them close.. that is the next step.

gonna hopefully get the molds made for the tail this week while i wait for parts. i put all the covers on the engine to keep the dust out, and will most likely cover it with a tarp.

thanks for looking!
~Chris
Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
Knifemaker87

I bored out some room for the pipes in the collector...
A guy said he could tack it in for $10-15 so i think we can work something out...

thanks!
~Chris
Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #30
Knifemaker87

i need to trim the ends so that it will fit on right. it is just set on there right now

thanks!
~Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement