Clean and Simple CBR600 Build - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > The Build Board
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Build Board A place to post a journal or log of your SV / Gladius projects and builds. No replies or discussion are allowed.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Knifemaker87

Bikes: White 'n Blue 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7.5 k
Send a message via AIM to Knifemaker87
Re: Clean and Simple CBR600 Build

the last week has been really busy for me, and the work that i have gotten done ha been relatively unnoticeable. I have tweaked alot of the stuff i had already done, primarily the side panels and the tail, but also the undertail and i filled that "hole" in the side of the tail.

I only have a little bit more welding before i can do the finer grinding and bondo work.

fitting alot closer...

the metal is there.. and the bondo will help with some of the "blending"

I am considering making the tail carbon fiber as well... and just using the steel as a mold then cutting it off except for "tabs"

what do you think?
thanks
~Chris
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
Knifemaker87

whats up yall?
got a little bit of "tweaking" done last night. that's really all i have been doing for a while... but since i am a pic whore i thought that i would just post some pictures and pretend i have been doing work!
here is the tail cap welded on:

the biggest obstacle right now is getting everything to fit correctly without "forcing" it, because if i am going to make CF parts from them i want them to be correct and go together without warping.

I also got the undertail in and the taillight realigned

then i pushed it up to the road and snapped a picture. i think it will look less like a bicycle with the engine in there... or i am hoping it does :nuts:

anyway... i am leaning towards using the steel body work to make a CF tail to save on weight as well as to eliminate my ugly welding as much as possible. the CF will be mostly painted and i am thinking a White/CF/teal theme sort of like a wasp...

thanks for looking!
~Chris
Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Knifemaker87

hey yall...
havent said anything in a while. havent had a whole lot of time with the bike, and when i have it has been the boring non picture worth stuff. I think that all of the welding is done on the tail, so i stripped off all the paint and am going to apply bondo today or tommorow. after that it will be mostly composite work. here are pictures of how it sits with the bare metal:

thanks for looking.. more interesting stuff to come!
~Chris

Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
Knifemaker87

I have done some work.. not much, i had to switch out the key-set on my wife's jetta this week and the ignition was a PITA. but now her locks work, and i got to D some H

Got to play around with some bondo...

these will be completely replicated in CF. i haven't decided for sure on the tail.

thanks for looking. engine overhaul coming soon to a garage near you!
~Chris
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
Knifemaker87

okay guys... change of plans here. i really didnt like how the cap fit together and if i made the tail CF it was going to have to bolt on.. and screw up "clean" look... so then i thought.. why not make the whole thing removable like a race bike? so... all the time i screwed around with getting it to bolt to those fasteners... wasted.

alas and alack...

so i will try and make a two peice mold for the tail.
so i bondoed everything smooth:

I have some carbon fiber tubing that i was thinking about using as a trellis support underneath, but we will see how that works out.

now it has paint on it. i love red primer... sanding and getting ready to pull some molds.

more after today
thanks
~Chris

Last edited by Knifemaker87; 07-19-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #16
Knifemaker87

quick update here... i know.. boring boring... when am i actually gonna do the fun stuff?

soon...

got the new water pump in; old vs "new"

and also stripped the tank... and found BONDO! yay more damage! :shocker: they are really shallow dents, and hopefully i can just pop them out, but if anybody has a spare 600f2 tank laying around they want to ship my way, i'll take it! it never ends...

tail is ready for molding, as are the side covers. gonna hopefully do the tank next, then rebuild the engine. once it is rebuilt i will put it back in and fit the new radiator and radiator shrouds as well as the belly pan. that way i can do all the carbon wrapping and production at the same time, as well as do all the welding on the frame for the belly pan and shrouds.

Chris out
Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
Knifemaker87

okay.... been off the grid for a while, but i was working some... i promise!

First off, i cleaned up the tank and fixed the dents:

Then, primer, then sanding, then bondo, then more sanding.. and so on Ad Infinium. and there is more to come, though i am less concerned with the tank since it is going to be wrapped.

look mom! no dents!

then, cause i needed them, i fabbed up some rear-set adapter plates. Prototype first to see if it clear everything:

yes it works, but needed to be tweaked a bit, then made in 5160 steel, with some lovely countersinking...

a little grinder work, and viola!

Now with the rearset:

and i pulled this off a 06 cbr600rr:

and some gratuitous glamor shots, cause thats how i roll yo!

I also got my fender in. gonna be working with a chrome 84 magna front fender. gonna mod it to fit and then duplicate it. i like the shape, and it is steel so it will be shortened and beautified

next; engine rebuild!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #18
Knifemaker87

okay!

now that the current body work is done and ready for carbon fiber, i am going to rebuild the engine. that way i can mount it in the frame and do any welding necessary on the frame
(radiator and exhaust mounts at least) so that i can then paint the frame and engine.

Now, i will say this up front, i do not know what wear looks like, so if you see something that should be fixed or replaced PLEASE shout it out. i need you engine gurus to help me out here. thanks!

Here we go:

Valve cover removed, i didnt figure you needed a picture of the valve cover on....

Now, loosen the bold in reverse numerical order to allow the covers to de-compress evenly (dont worry... they are numbered)

i guess i should post pics of the cams to check for abnormal wear or damage...

valve followers numbered for removal:

valve followers and shims removed

head removed: look at the water where the head gasket was...

Blown head gasket...now, the $5 million question is... is the head warped?

Clutch cover removed... and why is there coolant in here?

it would appear that someone has been here before me... (and the put on the washer that says "outside" on one side... the wrong way around...) FAIL! new nut ordered...

is this stock?! i know one of the POs used this as a race bike...

removing the oil pan... EW! at least it isnt milky right? could all this have leaked through the head gasket? this seems like alot of "leakage"

oil cooler...

oil cooler GONE!

removing the gear shift mechanism

used a wire brush on the piston heads... cleaned up real nice!

stator cover removed:

Pile of parts on the bench...

I am kinda stuck cause i need a "honda service too" to remove the magneto as well as a funky torx, so i have to find something that works, or find a tool. any info on that? after that comes off i will be able to split the cases and double check that there isnt a hole the coolant is leaking out of, then everything will get cleaned and re-assembled with new gaskets and seals... i am gonna do a valve job for sure, but not till i get everything else back on.

anything else i should do while i have it open?

thanks for looking!
~Chris
Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
Knifemaker87

i did some work.. and it didnt cost me a cent!

Some sand-blasted goodness!

oil cooler in some pine-sol

i used a file to get all these molding flaws that were hiding under the paint removed... have to re-blast...

Also... took apart my brakes... got a stripped bolt out... only to find out that the bleeder vavles were corroded in place.

So! i have a new set of front brakes in the mail to me ($12 shipped!) and a 02 yzf6 radiator in perfect condition (or so they say) for $20 now i just gotta sell the jetta.. make bank and order a bunch of overpriced OEM honda parts. that and i have most of the stuff to start on the tail molds... so i may do that too.

anyway.. cheers!
~Chris
Old 08-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
Knifemaker87

you know what? i just realized i never posted the end of the engine tear down! i have the pictures hosted on photobucket but i never put them on here! i cant belive it!

well here they are:

I had to find this bolt to serve as my "special tool to pop the alternator rotor off:

Random picture of the wear (oir lack thereof) on the camshafts & bearings (is it bad?)

removed a gajillion bolts, and organized them very nicely in a piece of carboard to keep track of them, and then split the crankcases:

apart!

who knows how this got here...

crankshaft....

Pistons removed:

wear on one of the crankshaft bearings (is it good or bad?)

here be a mighty pile-o-parts! arrrrrr

anyway... sorry for not posting that... i did it prolly 2-3 weeks ago.

keepin you posted!
~Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement