Clean and Simple CBR600 Build - Page 11 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > The Build Board
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Build Board A place to post a journal or log of your SV / Gladius projects and builds. No replies or discussion are allowed.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #101
Knifemaker87

Bikes: White 'n Blue 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7.5 k
Send a message via AIM to Knifemaker87
Re: Clean and Simple CBR600 Build

got the front fender cleaned up a bit..
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #102
Knifemaker87

okay.. i got some profile pictures of the bike from a little further away, and i trimmed the fender a bit more.

thoughts?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #103
Knifemaker87

what about with some paint on it?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #104
Knifemaker87

i got the rearsets painted, the stripe off the flyscreen and put the white on the shrouds..
what do you think?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #105
Knifemaker87

haha
sorry i have been out of the loop for so long.

and No.. it isnt not sold. but it will be imminently. i am getting it ready to sell right now.

i am getting a new cam chain for it, after replacing the cam chain tensioner didn't resolve the chain clicking issue. I am also re-doing my battery set-up and making carbon fiber lower fairings. It kinda sucks that i am making them now just before i sell the bike.. but it feels like a cheat to have those crappy alloy plates there on the bottom.

Got it all torn down to replace the cam chain tensioner

My new battery set-up. Three 4-volt 8-amp batteries wired in series in order to fit in the tail.

And.. as promised a long time ago i am going to show some more CF work as i make the lower fairings. For ease of fabrication i am going to make a positive blank out of foam then make a fiberglas mold from that that i will then make the final part out of.

So... here we go. i have the foam cut roughly to shape and the preliminary bevels cut on the bandsaw.

then i clean them up and put the bevels more where i want them. i am using a long block with 50 grit ceramic sandpaper. I try and finish each step on each peice to keep them as much the same as possible, rather than finishing one and going to the next.

keep the flat lower bevel and radius the top one..

Now i have chiseled and sanded a detail onto one and am transferring it over to the other. this stuff works alot like soft wood without the grain problem. it is alot of fun to work with.

and a little bit more tweaking with a lateral detail

now i have both sides to the same stage. i still have to go in and do the final tweaking.

i am at a little bit of a creative loss. i think it needs a bit more detail, but i am not sure what to do with it. any ideas?

thanks
~Chris
Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #106
Knifemaker87

Okay... got some more work done.

got the molds sealed with resin.

then sanded them down, primed them, sanded and buffed them before waxing and releasing them.

then i made the molds..

let them cure overnight, and popped them off. now i have to touch them up before priming and preping them for making the real parts. the benifit to these parts is that i can lay up the part in the mold and then press the mold onto the plug to remove as much gap as possible.
And

i forgot my camera at work yesterday so i dont have any pictures of the lay-up but it is very stright forward. resin on the mold, layer of fiber, little resin.. layer of fiber, little more resin...

Here is the cured part sandwiched in between the mold and the plug;

and after i popped the plug out:

and i had one of the part after i got it out of the mold but i didnt realize till i uploaded it out horribly blurry it was.. so you will just have to imagine in. sorry...=(

and here are the two parts after sanding them down for the final coat of resin. i had a couple bubbles get trapped, so the final resin coat will make those go away, then i will sand it down, cut the "scoop" and then paint it.

I havent decided how i am going to do the white stripe on it... so any of you artsy guys wanna give some input it would be appreciated

thanks!
~Chris
Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #107
Knifemaker87

well i got the lowers wet sanded and then masked them up for the white stripe

then painted them...

now i am ready to do the clear coat on the fender, fly-screen, and lowers

also... bad news. my engine developed a knock... so i took off the oil-pan and found this:

long story short, the motor will take more money to fix than it will to get a new engine... so i did that
low mileage motor in better condition than mine ever was, and it came out of a running bike.

the donor heart waiting to get grafted in.

My question is this: the gold on the covers will stay the same, but i cant decide if i should do the new motor in the same cast iron gray or if i should just black the motor out

thoughts?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #108
Knifemaker87

I got the engine clean.

after i wore my fingers to the bone getting all the crevases in the engine with scotch bright and engine degreaser a bussy told me about easy off. i could have saved my fingers. it etches the aluminum some, but tha tis okay for me as i am going to paint it anyway, but it didnt eat the painted covers...

All foamy

Now it is all clean. i have all the holed blocked off and after i took the picture i finished masking the wires and plugs.

any idea how i can hold this sucker so i can paint it all at once?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #109
Knifemaker87

thought i would show a little honda pride... i think it makes the tank look a bit more "finished" the red pinstripe still has to go on.

and i got the engine painted for real. I am letting it dry all day and tomorrow morning. hoping to pull the old engine out tonight, and put the new one in tomorrow. the bike will also be getting a top to bottom cleaning while i have it all apart.

i love how the bike is lurking in the background...
Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #110
Knifemaker87

Got the newly painted new engine in..

Changed the oil, new coolant new sensors, and slapped the carbs on there.

got everything mechanical together and hooked up. i swapped out the cam-chain tensioner, so when i starts up i hadn't adjusted it yet, and this is a cursory adjustment as it will get tweaked further when the bike has a chance to warm up.

this is the first time i tried to fire the bike up. and it is running on starting fluid and about 2 oz. of gas i put in the fuel line hence it wanting to die at the end of the video.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement