Bleeding dry brake system - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
RIDER675

Bikes: 07 track, 99 street
Bleeding dry brake system

Dry system after replacing a caliper banjo bolt, can't build much pressure but no bubbles (hear the discs creak a bit). Used a harbour freight vacuum bleeder to get it started then bleed the MC etc by hand over 4 hours yesterday. Vacuum had no effect on lever.

Ran a line to a nipple from the reservoir and pumped a thousand times until fluid was pumping into the res. No change.

Next tried pushing fluid through one side. On other side most of the fluid leaked out the hose or bleeder threads could be because its a banjo bleeder. Tried using the syringe to suck the res empty from the caliper nipples. Replaced MC crush washers. Replaced a bleed screw and put grease on the threads. Left rubber band on the lever and reservoir cracked open.

Getting pretty desperate spent all of yesterday and today is last chance to make my track days.
RIDER675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
sv650bklyn

Bikes: 2006 SV650 (Gen 2)
Miles Kms: 52000 mi
Re: Bleeding dry brake system

Not sure what your specific problem is, but with completely empty lines I'd just let gravity do the work. I'd even recommend you empty the lines completely and start from scratch with fresh brake fluid, as the one you've spent so much time on is probably aerated to the max by now.
Close the MC bleeder, open the bleeders on the calipers and attach vinyl hoses pointing skyward. Push in all the caliper pistons to reduce any potential room for air pockets. Slowly fill up the reservoir, then wait, refill fluid when the level gets low. After 15 minutes or less you should see the fluid rising in both vinyl hoses. If not, the caliper bleeders are not open enough.
Then close the bleeders and get the remaining air out conventionally (pump lever SLOWLY, open/close bleeder, repeat). Zip-tying the lever only makes sense to get the very last tiny bubbles out in the end.
I say be slow with your movements on the lever, so the air bubbles have more time to rise up to the reservoir or the MC bleeder, and won't brake apart into tinier bubbles, which will be even harder to get rid off.

Last edited by sv650bklyn; 06-11-2019 at 01:11 PM.
sv650bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
RIDER675

Looks like the RH bleed nipple is leaking, when I pack grease on it the pressure increases for a few pumps. I tried the old bleeder again and the newer one is just a yr old. Is the anything I can do without replacing the caliper? Are gen1 calipers compatible w gen2?

Old 06-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
Straticus

Bikes: 1999 X naked Curvy
Miles Kms: 23,000

I trick I came up with some years ago to get the MC primed when the level has dropped too low whilst bleeding may help.

Have your right side bleed nipple open and I use the Old-School piece of pipe into a Glass jar with some Brake fluid in it as a one-way valve.

Fill up the MC to the Top line.Now spit on your hand and place it on top of the MC and press to make an Air-tight seal and then slowly pump the lever and keep an eye on the Jar and the level in the MC.With luck you should feel a bit of suction on your palm and fluid starting to flow.

Top-up MC as you go along and repeat.When satisfied you have pressure alternate bleeding right and left sides until happy there's no air left in the system but keep an eye on the MC fluid level.

HTH
Old 06-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
RIDER675

Actually doesn't seem like the bleeder, teflon had no effect on it. As for bleeding the MC, how is that different from just cracking the banjo? I have enough pressure to get fluid out there and make the brake discs creak.

One odd thing is a rubbery or sucking noise from the MC, most likely the dust boot.

Also when I start to bleed sometimes it build up a bit of pressure, then as I continue the pressure drops off.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Straticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER675 View Post
Actually doesn't seem like the bleeder, teflon had no effect on it. As for bleeding the MC, how is that different from just cracking the banjo? I have enough pressure to get fluid out there and make the brake discs creak.

One odd thing is a rubbery or sucking noise from the MC, most likely the dust boot.

Also when I start to bleed sometimes it build up a bit of pressure, then as I continue the pressure drops off.
When I've had similar it was a faulty MC.I don't bother with the Repair kits I just buy a new MC.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #7
RIDER675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straticus View Post
When I've had similar it was a faulty MC.I don't bother with the Repair kits I just buy a new MC.
Well I managed to get a little power by using slow short strokes at MC but its lost eventually when trying to bleed at the calipers, one side specifically. Gonna wait and see if it leaks over time. I was suspecting the MC but seems strange that it would fail as soon as the fluid was drained. This is a track only bike so it doesn't get used much, and the system was always much better than my gen1 which has a gen2 MC. Thanks for the suggestion though, last ditch will be to pull the master off the gen1.

Is a symptom of a bad MC that the pressure drops off at a certain point in the travel? I feel the lever either reach the point in travel or pressure where the air compresses or the MC is leaking.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:59 AM   #8
Straticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER675 View Post

Is a symptom of a bad MC that the pressure drops off at a certain point in the travel? I feel the lever either reach the point in travel or pressure where the air compresses or the MC is leaking.
In my experience,Yes.

On one of my old Honda CX500s this is exactly how if felt.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
mad8vskillz
Underground Parts Slinger

Bikes: 03 650, 03 1000S (x2), grom, te610 sumo, 919, kayo, nswtf148
Miles Kms: 1.6 miles/km

push it up with a syringe?
www.mad8v.com - killer prices on Supersprox, and lots of 1g and 2g sv650 and sv1000 parts
mad8vskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
RIDER675

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
push it up with a syringe?
Got a proper syringe, the other didnt fit the hose tight enough. Didn't help I got better results bleeding normally, but is it odd that I get a drip through the bleeder threads using the syringe?

Swapped the MC, feels the same. Starting to wonder if the replacement banjo with bleeder leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement