Aww (blankety blank) - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
shuvool

Bikes: 2001 N
Aww (blankety blank)

My 01 started running on just the rear cylinder again intermittently this past weekend. I checked the rear spark plug and it was that nice perfect slightly grey color (these NGK CR8 plugs have less than 5k miles on them). I recently replaced the plug caps and trimmed a bit off the wires where they connect to the caps, so those should be good. I dropped the radiator and checked the front plug and it looked like it had a too much carbon buildup compared to the rear. It was definitely black, so I took a bit of 500 grit sandpaper and cleaned it gently by folding the sandpaper in half and easing it back and forth between the electrode and the ground electrode until both looked new, then measured the gap to confirm it was between 0.7mm and 0.8mm.

I hand threaded the plug back into the hole and then got my torque wrench out set to 8 ft lbs and after it felt like it was getting close, it suddenly got really easy to turn. The wrench never clicked. I pulled the wrench back out of the head and saw I still had a spark plug...only there was no thread on it. I tried tapping a flathead screwdriver against it, and I saw an impression from it but can't get enough purchase on it to turn it out. I spent less than 2k on the bike, so I don't want to pay a mechanic to pull apart the head and remove this, the parts and labor for the job plus the other associated stuff that would have to be done (while it's open might as well check valve clearances and fix that oil blowby that's probably the reason for the black plug) and possibly have to tap out the head and put a helicoil in...It all sounds like rapidly approaching the value of the bike.

I don't have the time to do this on my own for a long time (3 semesters before I graduate and change careers) but I am capable, so I figure the most likely scenario is that I'll end up plugging the hole with a paper towel and some tape and this will become my project / track bike when I have the time. In the meantime, I've been eyeballing a 2019 Speed Triple. Test rode it and found it to have all the positive qualities I like about the SV650 plus a lot more in the areas of comfort, power delivery, and smoothness (and it holds my 300 lbs much easier than the SV's suspension). According to the wife, I'll have to go bikeless for 2 months, but in the end I think I'll be pretty happy with the combo of having a new bike and having a track bike (eventually)

I don't think I'll ever completely part with the SV. I love it, although there are things about mine specifically I don't like. As a project bike, I think I can change those things and if it's my track bike, I can really learn a lot more from it that I can't learn on the street as readily.
shuvool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
golden chicken

Bikes: 2005 SV650n
Miles Kms: 58,000
Re: Aww (blankety blank)

Did you break the threads off the spark plug? And you got the core out so it's just the threaded part with no porcelain inside?

You can try this: https://www.championautoparts.com/Te...park-Plug.html

Or your mechanic may try that first. If it doesn't work, he or she may have other tricks they've learned to get the shell out.

Or you could buy a used head and just swap it or have it swapped.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
twag4
Supporting Member

Bikes: 01 650s
Miles Kms: 22000

edited for stupidity!
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Othen

Bikes: SV650 K6, Triumph Scrambler, CCM CXR 230, Suzuki B100P

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
Did you break the threads off the spark plug? And you got the core out so it's just the threaded part with no porcelain inside?

You can try this: https://www.championautoparts.com/Te...park-Plug.html

Or your mechanic may try that first. If it doesn't work, he or she may have other tricks they've learned to get the shell out.

Or you could buy a used head and just swap it or have it swapped.

That was a really interesting link to the Champion page - I have never seen (or even heard of) this happening previously. The OP has been rather unfortunate.

It doesn’t sound like this will be a particularly difficult problem, I suspect any garage will be able to deal with this problem with the head still on the motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvool View Post
My 01 started running on just the rear cylinder again intermittently this past weekend. I checked the rear spark plug and it was that nice perfect slightly grey color (these NGK CR8 plugs have less than 5k miles on them). I recently replaced the plug caps and trimmed a bit off the wires where they connect to the caps, so those should be good. I dropped the radiator and checked the front plug and it looked like it had a too much carbon buildup compared to the rear. It was definitely black, so I took a bit of 500 grit sandpaper and cleaned it gently by folding the sandpaper in half and easing it back and forth between the electrode and the ground electrode until both looked new, then measured the gap to confirm it was between 0.7mm and 0.8mm.

I hand threaded the plug back into the hole and then got my torque wrench out set to 8 ft lbs and after it felt like it was getting close, it suddenly got really easy to turn. The wrench never clicked. I pulled the wrench back out of the head and saw I still had a spark plug...only there was no thread on it. I tried tapping a flathead screwdriver against it, and I saw an impression from it but can't get enough purchase on it to turn it out. I spent less than 2k on the bike, so I don't want to pay a mechanic to pull apart the head and remove this, the parts and labor for the job plus the other associated stuff that would have to be done (while it's open might as well check valve clearances and fix that oil blowby that's probably the reason for the black plug) and possibly have to tap out the head and put a helicoil in...It all sounds like rapidly approaching the value of the bike.

I don't have the time to do this on my own for a long time (3 semesters before I graduate and change careers) but I am capable, so I figure the most likely scenario is that I'll end up plugging the hole with a paper towel and some tape and this will become my project / track bike when I have the time. In the meantime, I've been eyeballing a 2019 Speed Triple. Test rode it and found it to have all the positive qualities I like about the SV650 plus a lot more in the areas of comfort, power delivery, and smoothness (and it holds my 300 lbs much easier than the SV's suspension). According to the wife, I'll have to go bikeless for 2 months, but in the end I think I'll be pretty happy with the combo of having a new bike and having a track bike (eventually)

I don't think I'll ever completely part with the SV. I love it, although there are things about mine specifically I don't like. As a project bike, I think I can change those things and if it's my track bike, I can really learn a lot more from it that I can't learn on the street as readily.

Certainly get the Triumph - it is an excellent bike :-)

Old 09-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
golden chicken

Bikes: 2005 SV650n
Miles Kms: 58,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Th valve cover is super easy to remove. I’m sure a used one wouldn’t be expensive. That would at least take care of the spark plug threads.
Spark plugs thread into the head not the valve cover
Old 09-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
Spark plugs thread into the head not the valve cover

:-)

Old 09-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #8