Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

01 SV650S project - backfires at idle (yes I searched)

9K views 66 replies 13 participants last post by  Nick's-SV 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Working on a 01 SV650S with 35k miles, backfires at idle but runs like a gem above 2k rpm. Stock headers with a yoshimura Tri Oval dual exit pipe, stock intake, tank lifted, 17.5 pilots and 136 mains. Pilots are fresh, mains were pulled and cleaned, and stuck some fresh CR9-E plugs in.

I'm open to ideas, air getting into the exhaust somewhere? needs valve job?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Gitter

Edit
(incase you didn't want to read all four pages of the thread)
Problem solved:
Checked the valves, exhaust valves were a little tight. Adjusted the valves back into spec and synced the carbs. Fixed the popping issue at idle.

#65 ·
when you rev the engine do the rpms fall off steady with no hangup, my idle was a little high, by tweaking the sinc screw the rpms came down to 1200.when mine is cold it only runs on one cylinder for two minutes then as soon as that cylinder starts kicking in i take off.i think my sinc is a little off and i get a pop on decel one one of the cylinders but don't know which one.maybe checking the plugs will tell me which one is burning different.

#66 ·
Simple to determine: when the engine is running on one cylinder only, put your hand near the exhaust coming out from each cylinder, the one colder is not running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.