Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Need help

3K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  rocketgirl 
#1 ·
Ok bike has power everything looks normal I tried to turn her over and she just sets ther turning over but won't start and FI pops up red light starts blinking it shows FI beside red light and at bottom were temp. Reads also when I turned bike off took key out then back in FI is no longer there but will come back if I try to turn over the bike again after tuning over about 3 times the FI will come back.
Need help where to start to fix this.
2007 sv1000s

#2 ·
put the bike in dealer mode and see what code it's throwing

#4 ·
Is the battery fully charged...reading 12.7'ish when sitting before trying to start? If not...make it so.

If you've cranked it for a few seconds without starting...it's going to be flooded. You should smell gas in the pipes. If so.....pull sparkplugs and blow out the cylinders with compressed air to remove latent fuel...then install fresh plugs.

With fully charged battery, fresh plugs it should start within a couple cranks. If it does...:) If not...do NOT keep cranking or it'll flood again. Hold the throttle wide open and try starting and be ready to let go of the throttle quickly so when it starts you don't rev it up real high....bad on a cold motor. Sometimes they need a wee bit of help with the throttle to start as the Fast Idle isn't set quite high enough.

Once you get it running....do the Fast Idle adjust procedure from the manual to make sure it's running fast enough on the Fast Idle cam and it'll start better.

#6 ·
One common problem that will give you an "FI" warning and a red light-

The VACUUM LINE left disconnected from the little 1"x1" Boost Sensor box, screwed to the left side of the airbox.

Make sure all your sensors connections are plugged-in, along with all the hoses.
ESPECIALLY if you, or someone else, was under the tank, fooling around in there. Easy to miss.

#7 ·
Ok it seems I never flooded it as soon as I got home yesterday I threw the key in it and she started right up first turn no hesitation drove her into work next morning, but then she did it again when I tried to leave home my buddy said the fuel pump didn't even kick on I kept trying to mess with it till the F1 code was gone and I figured what the he'll and try turn her over for the 3rd time and she busted off no problem. Like y'all said ill remove the tank and check plugs and wires it seems like an electrical issue. Right?

#9 ·
Ill have to look into the manual have to download one and see what ur talking about fast idle. Also thank y'all I Realy appreciate y'all helping me out.
And I also saw how to put it in dealer mode but will it even show a code without it happening again to make the FI pop up, because it don't stay on.

#10 ·
No....Dealer Mode will only show a code if it's present....but some say the actual Dealer scanner can pull out memory codes but in this case it's probably not needed.

One thing while you have the tank up....check the infamous Green Connector in the bank of connectors in front of the airbox. The ignition switch goes into it and from there powers the entire bike, and there have been many cases of them going bad and MANY weird and wonderful things can start to happen when things are getting shorted of voltage and current. If it's OK...then you can move on with a good feeling that you avoided a potential problem but if you find any discoloration of the connector contacts...cut and bypass the connector and it'll be good.:)

#11 ·
In my case it was as simple as cleaning off the corrosion from the contacts of the starter button. I disassembled the right controls, cleaned with alcohol/contact cleaner and a light abrasive, then put it back together sealing it up with dielectric grease.
You'll be amazed to see how exposed the contacts are to the elements, so after 12 years some corrosion is inevitable. My error code was C42 (ignition switch) by the way.

#19 ·
Earlier today the bike that the same thing I swept the kill switch on I can hear the relay Buzz click set the fuel pump won't cut on pressurize the line I kept messing with it's and finally fuel pump came on I was able to crank it I had to do the pig and when I went to leave the pig it did the same thing but I never heard the fuel pump at all I want to head and tried to crank it after messing with it a little bit and it went ahead and turned over maybe the fuel pump did cut on but it was weak not sure

#20 ·
Later in the same day I took the seat off I went ahead I was planning on possibly taking the tank off and cleaning the fuel filter but when I unplug the relay it had corrosion one of the plugs and Tong to the relay had burn marks and the metal was overheated very bendable Sam's metal flake off of it still able to plug it in and use it so I used salt and vinegar and baking soda and water completely cleaned all the corrosion. Noaloxed it all and plugged it back in after it dried but this time I flip kill switch on relay home quick then I heard a short whining noise possibly from the fuel pump but it did not kick on it just like made a whine noise as if the motor got power but it did not spin I don't have a meter to check the relay for power to the pump but is it possible that the relay isn't sending enough power to the pump but I need to go ahead get me a meter and check power from Battery to relay and then pump I'm just not really sure what I'm going to be looking for besides the battery voltage at 12.7 thats all I know.

#21 ·
A) How many miles on this bike?

B) There is no shame in bringing the bike to a proper motorcycle dealership and have them give it a once-over... especially if this is your first bike.

Not only will they be able to do a diagnostic on it a lot faster..(and presumably more accurately) than you might... you'll have made contacts with good motorcycle technicians, something always valuable.

You might have to pay a couple of hundred bucks, depending upon what the bike needs... but this way you'll have a fresh start on the machine after it's been looked after.

Otherwise you might be chasin' yer ****'s tail around in that swamp for a helluva long time, good buddy.

#23 ·
Oh dang ok I haunt been on for a few days since the old fuel relay was burnt I want a head I have a new one I purchased it came in today I have everything plugged up I've tested the power coming to the relay on the main side is great on the switch side I'm getting my well needed voltage it was slightly lower than the main didn't think that would be a problem and I probed the pump side of the relay the pump kicked on with no problem so it rules out everything besides the other side of the switch so I'm thinking either a bad ground or possibly any other switches not allowing a full circuit and I did do a code it was c-41 the bike will turn over but the relay won't turn on the pump so it has to be something after the relay not on the pump side of the main wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.