Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Tooth off...

890 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  SuaveNotion 
#1 ·
Is it possible that being a tooth too far forward or back could cause richness in the engine?

Did a cam swap last year and the bike started and ran ok so I didn't think much of it. Opened it up on the freeway the other day and it burbles and has power trouble from 4500-7000 rpm. After that it comes back to life and pulls strong to redline.

Took it to a dyno and they said I was SUPER rich (IIRC somewhere around 18, if that sounds right)

Impressively still made 68.8hp so not too bad.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Not contending what you said tovar, since you're probably right :), but can you explain that? I would think that max hp would be less (or more), if the cam timing were off, not close to stock, with early cam timing helping high RPM at the expense of low, and vice-versa for late timing.

#9 ·
... power coming and going suddenly.
That doesn't sound like cam timing. My guess is that bad cam timing would change the torque curve, but that the changes would not be abrupt. Do you remember if the curves were repeatable on different runs. That might give another clue.

Best though, just recheck the timing like tovar said, then no guessing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.