Clean and Simple CBR600 Build - Page 6 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > The Build Board
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Build Board A place to post a journal or log of your SV / Gladius projects and builds. No replies or discussion are allowed.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #51
Knifemaker87

Bikes: White 'n Blue 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7.5 k
Send a message via AIM to Knifemaker87
Re: Clean and Simple CBR600 Build

Here are the pictures of the steering stem "bolt" 1"-20 threads. came out pretty. made out of 316 stainless.

and then installed and everything pressed together. I am still put a pin in to lock it. Not going to hurt anything, and better safe than sorry.

gonna try and put the front end on tonight.
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #52
Knifemaker87

Okay... pretty productive weekend... for New Years anyway.

I got the front end on. the wheel is just a mock-up. and the top triple needs a good bit more work.

I then turned to the body work.
I got the Final tail fit and bolted on, but didnt like how the bottom stuck out.

So... i cut it off. I will modify the subframe to fill the whole and allow for a mounting bolt to secure it in the back. This part is alot more rigid, and really needs no more support... but it certainly wont hurt.

Looks better from the side too.

I also got the final side covers fit and bolted on. all they need now is paint.

I put the final coat of resin on the tail (just a light one to fix some pin-holes) The twill tail matches better i think.

anyway.. should have some triple update soon.
thanks
~Chris
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #53
Knifemaker87

So, a couple things...

I bit the bullet and took advantage of a good deal, snagging some 08 Multistrada 320mm rotors that will work with my F2 wheel. sometimes simplest is best.

I also got the top triple sorted out. it isnt finished.. but it is alot closer

I also tried flipping my clip-ons upside down... i kinda like it actually...

i need to make new bushings for the top triple, and finish the new headlight brackets, but should have that done today.
thanks!
~Chris

Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #54
Knifemaker87

I have a nice little update in store for you... so here goes.

first off, i made some new bushings. They are made out of Aluminum, but will be replaced with Bronze ones when i can find some material.

Now that i have the front end ironed out, i decided i could finally make my front fender. I have a 600rr front fender and it will actually bolt up to the GSXR front end... but.. i think it is too big looking. and plus, it is plastic... and orange.

So, i decided to make a new one out of Carbon fiber. or rather to copy then modify the existing 600rr fender. the beauty of this plan is the fender was cheap, will make a great mold, and i like the overall shape.

The first order of business is the clean it up. i polished it up so as to resent as perfect a surface as i could (this minimizes sticking.

then i filled all the holes that i didnt want with clay. not totally neccesary but makes for a better part

I then covered them with tape. I have special non-stick teflon tape, but packing tape would work just as well for this. the clay supports the tape, and the tape provides a flexible resin-proof barrier.

Then you wax your part. regular car-wax will work if it is actually wax. (i didn think you needed a picture)

Once your part is ready, cut out your cloth. I used a 3 peice method. on for the top and rear section, and then another peice for each side. the simpler your plan the better. but have a plan... even if it is complex. Carbon has a way of sneaking up on your and entangling you in its sticky web if you go in unprepared. you were warned.

and.... it is because of that sticky web that i dont have any pictures of the lay-up. but it is simple. you want to wet the whole part with resin, then lay on the first piece (start with the biggest or most stable) and smooth it down. do this with all your pieces, only applying resin if the cloth wont stick. make sure to overlap if you have multiple pieces. then apply a coat of resin over the cloth. and repeat the process. i use a Bondo squeegee to smooth the cloth and ensure the resin has permeated it.

So here is the fender all laid up and curing overnight. dont rush it letting it cure. if you take it off too soon the part will still be pliable and can warp pretty badly. then you are screwed. dont do it. please.

Then... when your part is done curing (give it a full day at least) remove it from your mold. the nice thing about the plastic fender is it is flexible and you can use popsicle stick, paint stirrers and (very carefully) a screwdriver, to pop the part off. after that... you just have to trim it.

I sanded and shaped mine before i took the picture...

and then you get to see how it looks. still needs some work IMO.. but looking good.

now... while the part was curing i put the brakes, controlls grips and stuff on the bike...

I need to make a bracket for this.. but cant decide where it should go

anyway... there is more where this came from...
thanks for looking!
~Chris
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #55
Knifemaker87

okay... sorry bout the wait, but we have a critical job at work that is due and so i have been working alot. however, i did get SOME work done.

I got the rearsets figured out

Custom Carbon and kevlar heel gaurds (still need the edge bevels)

I changed out the 1/2" master cylynder for the 900rr 5/8" master and got it set up.

...and i am not sure i am going to keep the adapter plates or not..

I will also have a new gas cap...

i also got some sanding done on the front fender. it is all smoothed out, and just need to get it fitted.
more later...
thanks
~Chris
Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #56
Knifemaker87

okay...
been super busy at work, but i did get some work done during lunch and stuff

New Gas cap!

and... in the bike

and... with the lid

i am hoping to have more time to work on the bike soon
thanks
~Chris
Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #57
Knifemaker87

I did some work over the weekend.

I got the Front fender on. still needs a good but of tweaking and final fitting, but it is on.

I also needed some new brake fluid reservoirs, so i used the stock dimensions (beefed it up a little..) so i could keep the stock diaphrams. here it is before i finished the cap..

i made the front reservoir a little larger since i not only have an upgraded master cylinder i am also running bigger calipers.

I have an extra one... you could use your 600 or 900 diaphragm, or buy one (new they are $10 and used they are about $5 for the whole reservoir) if anyone is interested.

I also got a woodcraft inline brake switch so i didnt have to modify the rear sets any more. it is pretty trick, and only $20 shipped.

Now.. i still havent put the shifter or clutch in, so, i guess i should do that.

So first thing i did was check to make sure everything was still within spec.
Friction plates: almost no wear at all. (i think it was replaced)

Spring free length

and some other visual inspection. Part of that was replacing my bent and damaged shifter shaft. got a mint condition on for $7 (not bad considering Honda wanted $90)

Shifter installed, and all gears engage. very exciting clicking through all the gears. glad to see i put the transmission in correctly.

Got the clutch basket in

and all the plates

then i had to stop because we had a dinner date, and because i need a strap wrench to tighten the nut holding the clutch in.

more soon!
~Chris
Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #58
Knifemaker87

And.. without further ado, i have an update!

I finished the clutch. and just have to wire wheel the bolts before torquing them down

and now... what i have been keeping secret...

billet Rotor adapters to go from a f2 wheel to 08 Ducati Multistrada 320mm rotors

they still need a little work, with some chamfering and getting the offset right for the calipers, but they will work.

more to come!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #59
Knifemaker87

So... i decided that they steel riser plates had to go. for a couple reasons. first off, they didnt allow me the angle i needed for the rearsets (bad engineering on my part) and they just didnt got with the look of the bike.

so.. i made a prototype..

the two holes on the bottom allow me as much adjust ability as i need. So... i made the real one. came out real pretty. i also realize4d i always take pictures of the brake... it is easier i guess.. but i will get some of the shifter too.

now... as i love completly changing tracks mid project.. i have decided it is time to address the swinger. so i pulled all the normal bearings out.. but am having trouble with the needle bearing. any tips?

i did figure out a way to cut it down to the exact size of the stock swinger and keep it centered... so i thought i would use this down time to do something about it.

gratuitous needle bearing pic

thanks yall!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #60
Knifemaker87

Over lunch i cut the swinger. however.. to cut it to the correct size it went through the wall of the swinger.. so... rather than making an ugly repair... i thought i would go all the way.

first off, i set up a V block to orient the swinger square. 0.0005" discrepency over 4 inches... not bad. so it set it up and got it all secure

then, i used my edge finder to find the very center of the swinger.

then it was a simple matter to figure out how wide the stock swinger was and divide that by half. then, you add half of the width of your tool (in this case 3/4") because the value on the screen is to the center of your tool. then you just slowly cut to the desired width.

However, like i said before, there was effectivly a hole in the side of the swingarm when i was done. so insead of just patching the hole, i cut a bit more:

and... i made a plug the width of the bearing to keep the part concentric, and made a "cap"

so i am going to have the "cap" welded on and then i will take a final skim cut to take to ti the desired width. (i made the caps a bit thicker on purpose to offset any warping.

more soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement