Looking for a new helmet! - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Marketplace > Product Reviews
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Product Reviews Self explanatory. Bike related posts only, please.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Raffi D

Bikes: 2003 Suzuki SV650S
Looking for a new helmet!

Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get some good input on three helmets I've had my eye on. I'm looking at the Icon Airmada, Icon Airframe, and the Shoei rf-1100. I currently have a Scorpion EXO-400 and there is nothing wrong with it...I notice that it tends to fog here and there but nothing crazy. Usually, it is gone once you start moving but sometimes it lingers. So I'm looking for something with a little more airflow and a lighter shell which led me to the Airmada. I read that it has great airflow but the sacrifice is wind noise on the highway along with some complaints of the face shield not making perfect contact with gasket allowing some wind in through there. This led me to the Airframe and rf-1100. Idk if these are overkill but I'm hoping someone on here owns these and can provide input. I'm least familiar with the Shoei right now. My price range is up to 280ish so if you have a variant that you think is better feel free to throw it in for discussion!
Thanks fellas

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Raffi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
slickrider

Bikes: sv650
Miles Kms: 15569
Re: Looking for a new helmet!

What about just replace the lens of your current helmet or apply a anti fog sealant into it.
slickrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
cfreger

Bikes: 2002 Suzuki SV650n; 2002 Suzuki DR650; 2003 Moto Guzzi California EV; 1965 Triumph Trophy SR
Send a message via AIM to cfreger

I recently replaced my Arai with, of all things, an HJC, and I am really happy with it. It's the HJC RPHA-10, their top-of-the-line helmet.

The helmet is very light and has very good airflow. Also, the interior liner is designed to stay cool and is anti-bacterial/anti-microbial. It's the dog days of summer in South Florida right now, and I am impressed with this helmet's comfort. It also comes with a Pinlock visor, standard. I used it on part of a recent road trip through the Midwest and there was no fogging in cooler/ rainy weather.

Best of all is that while it's a premium helmet, it continues HJC's value pricing. Street price is around $300 - $350, which is $100 - $200 less than the competition. Fit and finish is not quite up to the level of my Arai (there is one small flaw in the paint, and the right top air vent could have been fitted a little closer to the shell), but it's not bad. More important is the fact that HJC has managed to produce a quiet, comfortable, feature-packed helmet at a sane price point.

The fit is medium oval, so if you have a true round or long oval head, you might not like the fit. For me, the fit is perfect.

EDIT: Rider's Discount has a really nice-looking graphic version of the RPHA-10 on closeout for $250:

https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271177
cfreger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
farmer_frank

Bikes: 2003 SV1000N, 2002 SV650, 1972 Yamaha R5, 2003 Triumph Speed Four
Miles Kms: 50,000+

I have an RF-1100 and am very impressed with it compared to my old speed and strength helmet (ss-1500 iirc). Much quieter, but i'd still wouldn't ride without ear plugs. Shield changes are as easy as can be, rarely fogs up, and even has a lever you can flip that cracks open the shield just a tiny bit to clear any fog that might linger. I think you can pick them up on clearance for less than $300 now.
farmer_frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
Rhino86

Bikes: 05 Suzuki SV650S

I got my Rjay's SP2 helmet this week, only rode with it twice (to and fro work). High winds that day.

Very comfortable fit, has suede like lining (not sure what it is), 9 external air vents, chin mesh to slow down wind, nose add-on to reduce fog. Internally has 4 small vents above the forehead. Chin strap is a bit long. Snell certified which I hope never to test out on the road. Most of the pads can be removed for cleaning.
My shoei XR-1000 will fog up by the time I leave the driveway and the SP2 doesn't fog up.

Out of the box it is noisy with ear plugs and that is due to the extra space around the ears on the Rjay's SP2, so I'm going to place memory foam into the inner shell to close up the gap around the ears to reduce the wind noise before I decide if it's noisier than my modified shoei. As the shoei was very noisy without foam mods. And the fact that there was 25-35km/h winds when I first rode with the SP2 Got it discounted from $349 to $199 AUD.
Rhino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 AM   #6
tfro33

Bikes: 2004 SV650S
Miles Kms: 21000

I'm still quite pleased with my shoei Qwest for the money. Very quiet and super comfy. A little heavy, but not bad for ~$300

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
tfro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:21 AM   #7
mushin
Site Supporter

Bikes: 2009 SV650S
Miles Kms: 5000

I have a Shoei RF-1000 and RF-1100 and both are really good helmets. The 1000 is lighter but noisier, the 1100 is slightly heavier but feels like it hugs the head more fully. Wind noise is an issue with all helmets but I think the 1100 is pretty good; I still wear ear plugs with it, though. No fogging with the 1100 but had some with the 1000.

No matter what you get, be sure the fit is good. Pay special attention to how it fits the top of the skull; any pressure there is not a good thing and you'll have headaches. If it fits you, I would have no problem suggesting an RF-1100.
mushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:46 AM   #8
RememberTheMallamo

Bikes: 2005 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Kms: 18,000

I had an 1100 and have a Qwest now. I miss the 1100; it was just slightly better in every way. Either way, get a Pinlock shield and your fog issues will be gone forever. You can carry a tinted insert for sunny days, too and it takes up so much less space than an entire shield.
RememberTheMallamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
LawRider
Site Supporter

Bikes: 2004 Suzuki SV650
Miles Kms: 14700 km

I have an Icon Airmada. I've been impressed with it. It's light, with good airflow. I haven't had serious fogging problems unless I ride in the rain or fog, but I suspect that would be the case with any helmet regardless of price.

I think this one offers a lot of bang for the buck, and have no problem recommending it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LawRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:30 AM   #10
jackmorgan

Please suggest something trendy for me too
jackmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement