Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

SV650 Motor Tear down

106K views 56 replies 35 participants last post by  Othen 
#1 ·
Broke a bolt in the motor @ NHMS so i need to tear the whole thing apart so we can get it out. I had already gotten one cylinder off nd the clutch cover/basket when i decided to take pics.

First remove the 3 6mm Alan Bolts from the valve cover and remove the valve cover

Next remove the cam-chain cover. There are 3 5mm Alan bolts holding it on

Remove the two 5mm alan bolts that hold the Cam Chain Tensioner

The chain should now be loose

Now remove the 6 10mm bolts from each cam shaft block, and remove each cam

I try to keep all the parts together as i remove them

You should now be looking @ this. To remove the head you need to remove the four 12mm head bolts, two 10mm head-cylinder bolts, and one 5mm alan head-cylinder bolt(exterior)

Try not to flip it as the valve spring covers will come off

You will now have the piston exposed

Remove the oil cooler (if you havent done so already)

Remove the two 10mm nuts

I then rebuild the cylinder to make sure all parts stay where they are supposed to. If you do this i recommend putting the loose cam chain guide in its proper holder (you will see it when you move it). I also forgot to take pics of where the water hoses go into the cylinder. that is a 5mm alan bolt as well.

Next remove all the 8mm bolts holding the stator cover on. You will have to wiggle the cover off and use some force as there is a giant magnet behind it. Watch out for the starter idler shaft when you remove the cover.

See less See more
#45 ·
The service manual has very good rebuild documentation. The Haynes not as much. It's all there in the Haynes, you just have to go through each part and it's not sequential.

Teardown is pretty simple - just start taking things apart and keeping track of stuff ;) I laid everything out on a table by where it went.

I just did a full teardown and rebuild over the last few months so everything is fresh in my head - let me know if you have any questions. The biggest things that stand out:
-need a M20x1.0 bolt to get the rotor off the left side of the crank.
-the right side bolt on the crank holding the primary gear on is LEFT HAND THREAD (there is a L on the bolt head).
-need some way of holding the crank in place while taking bolts out (goes for assembly also).
-having an engine stand on rebuild is a godsend.
-go through every page of the microfiche and order all the o-rings and circlips you think you need.
-a good set of circlips pliers is a must.
-a good micrometer.
-feeler gauges.
-loosen/take off the front sprocket nut before you take the chain off the motor (and obviously before you take the motor out) - saves a little headache.
-the transmission was easier to put back together than I thought it would be.

#48 ·
Yep, strip-down and assembly is pretty easy.
The only slightly difficult part is pressing the main bearings into the cases. I had to make a special tool.

#56 ·
Nice write up OP. I am actually going to do mine this weekend, I have a 2001 Suzuki SV650. I'm going to have to rebuild my engine most likely because some how my SV chugged two quarts of oil in two weeks and I rode it while it was low. It's not leaking oil but even though it turns on and runs, its starting to make a weird like clicking/rattling noise intermittently. After 5k-6k rpm it makes an annoying rattling sound. I feel bad for my baby. I hope it is nothing too major, motor swap is the last thing on my mind.

WORD OF ADVICE: Always check your oil before you ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.