Def keeping my SV650, but looking for a Strom... - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
SkyHighJK

Bikes: 2006 Nekked & Red
Miles Kms: 3-29-2019 -- 14,500 total / 3,000 of them mine.
Def keeping my SV650, but looking for a Strom...

Hey Crew,
As the title suggests: I'm looking to get a 2nd bike This whole N + 1 thing is all too real.

I currently have a 2006 650N, and I absolutely love it. First bike that I've ever had, which is a bit over a year now, and have put about 7000 miles on her (Southern California).

Looking to get a used but late-model V-Strom, and I'm leaning towards the 1000 ... but I'm looking for some feedback. The reasons that I'm currently leaning towards the 1000 instead of the 650 are:
1) Going to be keeping the SV, so I'll still have my nimble commuter / canyon cruiser / fun smaller 50mpg bike.
2) Going to be moving to the Pacific Northwest early next year (Portland) and plan on doing more touring / moto camping / less-than-perfect-weather-adventuring.
3) The girlfriend got her first taste of riding 2-up and actually really liked it! But she felt a bit cramped on the SV (and so did I). My thoughts are that the V-Strom 1000 will be a bit more comfy for her, especially when we load up the bike with gear (we plan on doing some camping trips and adventuring together).
4) Related to #3, seems like the 1000 will offer a bit more engine comfort on the highways when it comes to 2-up / fully-loaded riding.

Things that people say about the Wee, and why it's better than the V1k:
1) Lighter / more nimble (especially off-road) -- My off-road riding has so far been 0, and I can't imagine doing anything more than fire roads and some super light-duty trails in the near future.
2) Better mpg -- Not totally concerned, and it seems like the total tank mileage on the V1000 will be about the same than I currently get on my SV650.
3) 650 is just such a great motor (and I certainly agree).
4) Maybe just not worth the extra $$ for the extra cc's.
5) Will have to get a proper skid plate and maybe some other protection for anything more than fire roads, and that money can start to add up. But, would be the same for the Wee, right?

Anyway, these are the things I'm considering. If I were getting rid of the SV, I'd almost certainly go with the Wee-Strom, but, since I'll still have my 650 for the foreseeable future (read: forever, I hope), maybe it makes more sense to get the Big Brother, suck up the extra gas (and purchase price), but have a slightly more capable and comfortable touring style ADV bike.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially anyone else (I know there are a lot of you) who've gone the SV650 -> Strom 650/1000 path.

-JK
SkyHighJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
redlimbo

Bikes: 04 sv650
Miles Kms: 4200
I've been to Montana and back on my SV650. A proper seat, a hard case, saddle bags, and a front fender extender was all it took. You guys would have to pack light obviously, but no matter what, a rear seat is never comfy.
redlimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
Matheneyr3

SkyHighJK

Ridin buddy of mine absolutely loves his Strom1k. Rums 2 up with his wife A-lot. He considers it the best "Do-all" bike he's had.
Having swapped with him a few times, I have to say, it is a Comfortable ride street or trails.

But- I prefer my Sv1k, but.... I don't run 2up.
YMMV-
Matheneyr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2019, 01:36 AM   #4
Skywalker67

Bikes: SV650 3rd Gen. (2016)
Miles Kms: 15'000 Km
Re: Def keeping my SV650, but looking for a Strom...

A V-Strom would definitely be a better choice to travel in 2 on the same bike, especially if packing.
The pillion rider will be way more comfortable.

But it can be done with an SV too, with ease.
Here's my 3rd gen. set-up for travelling with my wife and a light baggage.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
thedrewski86

Bikes: '07 SV650s

Have you considered the Versys 650/1000? It's another viable option at least and very similar to what we are all familiar with.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
Erika2000

Bikes: Gen 3 Suzuki SV650

@skywalker67 that's a great looking setup. What kind of bags and rack are you using?

OP, another vote for the vstrom1k...if you're serious about 2up, long trips, and that usage then this is the obvious choice.

Also with Suzuki doing a nice facelift on the 2020 1k model it might drop prices on late model used ones.
Erika2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
Skywalker67

Bikes: SV650 3rd Gen. (2016)
Miles Kms: 15'000 Km

Erika, here you are the complete description of my setup.

In short:
- Suzuki original rack for rear top case.
- Kappa K37 "Manta" Top Case.
- Homemade side bags rack.
- Befast SB900 soft bags.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM   #8
rwortman

Bikes: 2019 SV650

If my main focus was two up touring I wouldn't buy any adventure bike. None of them have great passenger accommodations. If I was planning on spending much time at all riding in the dirt, the last thing I would want is another person on the back of my bike. So if I'm touring with a person who doesn't want to learn to ride, I am sticking on the pavement and almost any sport touring, straight up touring, or touring cruiser is a better machine for riding two up all day.
rwortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement