Gen 3 Spark Plugs - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen3 (17-...) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen3 (17-...) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2017+ model SV650.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 03:47 AM   #11
Craig380
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Manchester, UK
Bikes: Blue 650 AL7, replaced my K6S (RIP)
Miles Kms: New bike: 1,610 and rising. K6S had 21,380 until it was killed by a patch of diesel
Posts: 399
Re: Gen 3 Spark Plugs

I meant to upload this yesterday but forgot. Here's the difference between the OEM Gen 3 plugs and a standard NGK CR8 (from my K6 SV).

As you can see, the plug threads and bodies are identical (I measured them with digital calipers), but the OEM plug's centre electrode is a projected-nose type.

Suzuki did say in the Gen 3 launch literature that the cylinder head shape was remodelled for the Gen 3, and it has a slightly lower CR (11.2:1).

I guess it would be possible to use CR8EIX Iridiums, there is no way they would interfere with anything in the combustion chamber as the electrodes don't reach as far as the OEM type. Alhough the longer nose of the centre electrode may be something to do with plug cooling too, an Iridium might get too hot.

Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
SV Ron
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Gen 3 Spark Plugs

Changing iridium plugs at 7500 miles or even 15,000 is a total waste. They are good to 50,000 miles and more, easily. I changed the plugs on my previous V-Strom at 42,000 and they were perfect.
SV Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #13
markw
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1
Re: Gen 3 Spark Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I meant to upload this yesterday but forgot. Here's the difference between the OEM Gen 3 plugs and a standard NGK CR8 (from my K6 SV).

As you can see, the plug threads and bodies are identical (I measured them with digital calipers), but the OEM plug's centre electrode is a projected-nose type.

Suzuki did say in the Gen 3 launch literature that the cylinder head shape was remodelled for the Gen 3, and it has a slightly lower CR (11.2:1).

I guess it would be possible to use CR8EIX Iridiums, there is no way they would interfere with anything in the combustion chamber as the electrodes don't reach as far as the OEM type. Alhough the longer nose of the centre electrode may be something to do with plug cooling too, an Iridium might get too hot.
That electrode is different, so the plugs are different heat range, with the head redesigned they probably called for a different plug, not going to be able to run the CR8 on it.
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #14
Erika2000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Bikes: Gen 3 Suzuki SV650
Posts: 26
Re: Gen 3 Spark Plugs

Great upload Craig, thanks for sharing. They do look almost identical though the electrode differs slightly. I may order them (oem) on webike or a European dealer.

On second thought maybe best to just remove, inspect, clean, and reinstall if everything looks ok.
Erika2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
Craig380
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Manchester, UK
Bikes: Blue 650 AL7, replaced my K6S (RIP)
Miles Kms: New bike: 1,610 and rising. K6S had 21,380 until it was killed by a patch of diesel
Posts: 399
Re: Gen 3 Spark Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika2000 View Post
On second thought maybe best to just remove, inspect, clean, and reinstall if everything looks ok.
When I checked the plugs on my own Gen 3 at 8,000 miles, the gap was still within spec (the manual states 0.8 - 0.9mm) so there was no significant wear, and they didn't even need cleaning.

Just watch out for crud & grit in the recess for the plug on the side of the front cylinder, it does collect around the plug there so give it a flush with brake cleaner or similar, and maybe a sweep with a small brush before you remove the plug.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #16
Erika2000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Bikes: Gen 3 Suzuki SV650
Posts: 26
Re: Gen 3 Spark Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
When I checked the plugs on my own Gen 3 at 8,000 miles, the gap was still within spec (the manual states 0.8 - 0.9mm) so there was no significant wear, and they didn't even need cleaning.

Just watch out for crud & grit in the recess for the plug on the side of the front cylinder, it does collect around the plug there so give it a flush with brake cleaner or similar, and maybe a sweep with a small brush before you remove the plug.
Thank you for the advice. I have some brake cleaner around so now just need to finish up a project or two and then order the plugs.

When I do then I'll post some pictures here to add context. It will be my first time doing anything to this 3rd gen beyond chain upkeep and oil changes. I wonder how it will look compared to the gen 2 and other bikes I've had.
Erika2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Design Developed by CompleteGFX
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
1999-2009 SVRIDER.com.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.