2006 SV1000S 289 Actual Miles - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > The Build Board
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Build Board A place to post a journal or log of your SV / Gladius projects and builds. No replies or discussion are allowed.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #11
EUROJulian

Bikes: SV1000+2006
Miles Kms: 295
Re: 2006 SV1000S 289 Actual Miles

RADIATOR JOB

Radiator was holding pressure but out of shape. Thankfully there is abundance of choices for aftermarket these days. I was pounding getting aluminum welded one, but shipping from china was a wild card, i needed stuff resonably fast to be pipe tight. I was also contemplating -ovich radiator but feeling sporty I got one of the China ones , spent more to have it shipped from US location.
Arrived quickly, extremely well packed and including sv1000 specific neck, bracket and new cap. Didn't use any of it since original were fine.
Fit and finish was good. Hickup was lower mount location that was about 10 mm right. This required special washer fabrication and longer bolt. Overall I am happy with quality.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-06-2016 at 09:23 PM.
EUROJulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
EUROJulian

FRONT FAIRING

When I got the bike I had standard/naked conversion in mind. Round headlight and brackets and go. As I thought about it issue surfaced with my standard ZRX, high speed wind buffeting.
I do not ride turnpike much on a bike, but when I did it was unpleasant at worp speed. For thus reason I decided to give suki faring a try.
I started fixing original fairing and headlights, dug out HID kit in the garage, real one with Lexus projectors and Philips D2 but after parts reshuffle it all went back to the big box. I wanted to ride asap, not mess with fabrication. One of future projects
Looked for resonable fairing assembly in right color. All found was beaten up. Then there was that one in red, all perfect, complete and intact. I pull the lever on that one:

Arrived undamaged thanks to great packing job the seller did.

Installation was straight forward, I had to order few special SS bolts to attach to the frame.

Overall I am happy with wind protection and I am planning on keeping fairing on the bike. Added bonus is two headlights that I am planning to upgrade to German H4 bulbs once my harness relay conversion arrives from Japan.
Still have to do something with 650 sticker on the fairing. Line through it or just tripple R after 650
Old 05-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
EUROJulian

FUEL PUMP

My fuel pump assy was a mess. Looked around for replacement. Usual price tag shock at OEM parts house. Usual used junk on ebay and some well used and high priced pieces here at for sale forum.
Went with eBay kit. Well thought of with pieces truly needed for pump job. Even terminal tab was broken on my bike connector. I was so happy that one was included in the kit.

Things to get from oem are orings and pump cushion. Look at the photo below, this is how much smaller cushion become after all those years submerged in fuel. Another reason for replacement is hardness and lack of flexibility.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #14
EUROJulian

FUEL PUMP

Utilized crimp on terminals from a kit I have by removing insulation. Do not recommend crimping for this application.

My soldering iron quit and I couldn't finished that evening. It was just not hot enough, got new one next day and soldering was a snap.

Pounded in shrink tube pricing for a while, that stuff is expensive.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #15
EUROJulian

FUEL PUMP

Cleaned up all components and started assembling. Note that jar of petroleum jelly. This is your assembly lube. Coat well all orings before sliding in.

Pump all done and looking pretty. Note upper fuel level sensor is busted. I am not planning on replacing it for now. Looking for one though. I have to live with blinking light for low fuel level together with trip counter.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #16
EUROJulian

FUEL FILTER

Big missing in my fuel pump posts above.
Rant on: I am not sure what is going on with those manufacturers and their in tank EFI filters. Cost? Liability? I do not know. Back in the day it was a part of regular big service to replace fuel filter. Filter used to cost 30 bucks or so for.a.car and all was peachy. So I am going to oem part house to order one and choking on a dinner again after seeing the price. Those people are plain stealers. Rant off.
My problem is not only buying one I fully expect to do 2 before tank is clean. In line fuel filter mod here I come: lots of info on vsrtom board, like everything but filter selection, I think I have better option

Bypass : 5.5 mm

Toyota fuel filter; this is.quick connection filter. Unfortunately it is not US market filter and can't be bought in US Toyota dealer at least I was told that. Who cares, bought two on ebay for 8 bucks each. Shipped from Miami next day :

Old 05-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #17
EUROJulian

FUEL FILTER STARTUP AND TESTING

Setup below was used for initial startup and mod testing. It utilise odditional OEM high pressure hose. Allows for quick change if needed. Bike ran fine, there was no need to change the filter due to fuel starvation.

Anyway I treat this filter as startup only and it being replaced together with oem high pressure lines later.
I found straight high pressure quick connectors avalialiable at NAPA. 90 degree connectors are from oem hose dismantle

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-07-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #18
EUROJulian

FUEL FILTER

All parts to make in line setup and route lines and filter properly inside engine compartment.

I am bit disappointed that oem pressure line have so little flexibility and I have to mess with making new hoses.
Rubber EFI grade fuel hose, hose clamps and straight quick connectors are from NAPA. OEM fuel line is a source for 90 degree connectors.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #19
EUROJulian

PHASE TWO is IMMINENT

While phase one had a goal of making bike run /be drivable reasonably quick, test the new to me machine as well as initial modifications /fixes , phase two will address encountered problems.

This whole project started as ersatz, I was not looking for SV, not even v twin. Basic goals were to have something to ride while I am working on ZRX and have modern uber reliable fuel injected go around bike. I never rode SV before I got one, didn't even know if I will like it. Opportunity presented itself and I took it.

Initial riding impressions are rather positive. Engine is lawn mover like but performs so savage or rather uncivillzed behavior can be overlooked.
I have read a lot regarding suspension modificatios, I find it satisfactory for Florida flat and straight roads, brakes also performed well. Many complained about riding position and initially I was eyeballing fat bar conversion/ installation . I find riding position to be manageable, not planning to do work there.

For phase two, two known SV main reliability issues I am planning to address are fuel system and electrical.

Fuel filter bypass/ inline filter mod performed well. I need to finalize fuel line fabrication and attach filter in the engine compartment. DONE
I also was able to buy super clean/ like new inside fuel tank. Although I did good job cleaning my tank it will always be prone to corrosion. New tank will take care of that concern plus I am planing on using real gas exclusively on my bikes.
I will replace startup filter with new one while at it. DONE
I am toying with getting new gas cap I sse them pretty cheap.

SV Electrical shortcomings I am addressing with harness mod, Friday I found usps note that my package from Japan has arrived, hope to pick it up tomorrow. Package contains headlight relay combo and headlight on/off switch.
I will also add accessory outlet on the dash at the same time, maybe even two if I go wild as I am planning to get phone dock/ holder.
I am also planing on inspecting famous connector while diggin there. DONE
Once harness is done I am getting proper OSRAM H4s.

Maintenance items to do while bike is down include:
oil change (first phase of engine break-in at 500 miles is done, time for new oil and filter), DONE
clutch slave rebuild - leaking after initial fluid change, DONE
fork oil change with new seals
https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350338
I want new fork tubes - if only could find smart Chinese person to talk to- see my tube thread)

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-10-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #20
EUROJulian

CLUTCH SLAVE SEAL

Disassembly and cleaning. Remove and Lube pushrod. Note to hold piston from popping.

Seal failure was not anticipated and I did not preorder the part. Got good service from Broward Motorsport of Davie. They had the seal in stock and parts guy went out of his way to get other stuff for me.

Installation is straight forward, remember the direction seal goes. Remember not to drain master cylinder at any time. Note on pic how to stop line from leaking. Tip on bleeding drained master cylinders on clip-ons in my post here:
https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthr...59000&page=245

My flush and bleed setup ;-)

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-02-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement