Apps?? - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
SkyHighJK

Bikes: 2006 Nekked & Red
Miles Kms: 3-29-2019 -- 14,500 total / 3,000 of them mine.
Apps??

Hey Crew,

Just wondering what kind of Apps everyone here is using...
Things I'm looking for:

1) maintenance tracking (with $$ costs), i.e. keeping track of when I've cleaned/lubed my chain, oil change, put new tires on, etc.
2) gas mileage
3) cost-of-ownership tracking (based on the above)
------------------------------
4) ride-tracking? I downloaded the Calimoto app and have played around with it a bit and it seems pretty cool ... anything else similar that also has the above included within the app?
5) weather / directions is less of an immediate concern but would be useful down the road.

Thanks!!
JK
SkyHighJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018, 07:53 AM   #2
Devils

Bikes: 2017 Suzuki SV650A, Naked
Miles Kms: 22,200 Km
Re: Apps??

For ride tracking I use Rever which tracks the miles done, the time taken and max/average speed and it plots your course on a map for saving later.

for weather I use Accuweather, is is pretty accurate most of the time I have found, even for living in a small town in New Zealand.

for directions, Im assuming you mean map directions, I use Here maps which is like a tomtom/garmin gps for your phone but doesnt need internet access only gps tracking enabled.

Here's an example of one of my rides saved using Rever
Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
steveSLO
AARP Moderator

Bikes: '08 SV650N/abs
Miles Kms: 20,000

Welcome to SVR!

Here's how to search SVR for information.
If you want to see everything here pertaining to the Anti-Lock Braking system,
copy/past this onto the Google search window:

Quote:
"abs" site:svrider.com
Replace abs within the quotation marks with whatever you want to learn about.
There are literally thousnads of posts on your questions. Look first at threads, second at stickies.
You can, of course, choose dates, images, etc, like any Google search

Old 10-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
SkyHighJK

Bikes: 2006 Nekked & Red
Miles Kms: 3-29-2019 -- 14,500 total / 3,000 of them mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveSLO View Post
Welcome to SVR!

Here's how to search SVR for information.
If you want to see everything here pertaining to the Anti-Lock Braking system,
copy/past this onto the Google search window:

Replace abs within the quotation marks with whatever you want to learn about.
There are literally thousnads of posts on your questions. Look first at threads, second at stickies.
You can, of course, choose dates, images, etc, like any Google search

Got it, thanks SteveSLO. I tried to poke around a bit but didn't find much ... Apparently I wasn't doing a very good job!
-jk
SkyHighJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
sv650bklyn

Bikes: 2006 SV650 (Gen 2)
Miles Kms: 53000 mi

1) Google spreadsheet for now. May switch over to Autosist.com.
2) Fuelly.com
3) see 1)
4) For ride tracking I use Google Maps "your timeline" feature. It tracks everything already, unless you have disabled location history. Motorcycle specific tracking apps are Rever and Riser, but never used them since they don't offer me much beyond tracking. Calimoto looks great but is way too expensive.
For navigation Scenic on iOS, Kurviger on Android. Scenic uses Kurviger's twisty road engine, but has many more features and a better design.
5) If you're in the US, go to forecastadvisor.com which will show you the weather apps with the highest accuracy in your region.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:32 AM   #6
Devils

How do you get a route distance with Kurviger?
Old 11-01-2018, 03:34 AM   #7
sv650bklyn

Bikes: 2006 SV650 (Gen 2)
Miles Kms: 53000 mi

Menu -> Routing -> Actions or Waypoints

My build thread http://is.gd/sv650sascha | Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/sv650nyc
Old 11-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
FrankAteMyName

Bikes: 1999 SV650 - Plenty Visual Mods
Miles Kms: 45,000

I appreciate you're looking for apps, so my answer probably isn't 100% what you're looking for. Just food for thought if you don't necessarily need an app.

1. Call me old school but I still use a notebook. Quarterly I transfer the data onto excel, and every year I print out that year's service work and add it to my folder for the bike.
2. When I fill up, I reset the trip meter. Next time I fill up, the value on the pump is the amount that it has cost me to travel the number of miles on the trip meter.
3. Also an excel spreadsheet
4. I use google maps for nav - It has a handy route tracking feature which is enabled by default
5. Darksky for weather - It gives a minute by minute forecast for the next hour which is scarily accurate - Perfect for finding a window in the rain to ride to the shops if you don't drive. found it to be extremely helpful in the UK.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
snailman153624

Bikes: '04 SV650

If you value your privacy at all, keep in mind some of these apps send all of the data they collect to somebody else, e.g. Google.

There's really no legitimate reason for them to do that imo, and Google in particular got busted for storing GPS and position data even if you and the options disabled.

Regarding maintenance, it seems like an app is more trouble than it's worth unless you have a larger fleet. It's simple to just jot it down on paper in a table with some fields. Hands get dirty working with grkime and oils, etc., too. Just leave this paper near your workbench. I don't bother keeping records, it's easy enough for me to check things over periodically, which I would do anyway.

Similarly, fuel mileage is very easy to mentally calculate with your trip meter. Fishing a phone out and taking a glove off to unlock it, etc., is impractical to me, although at times it would be nice to have a history chart. If anyone has a suggestion for a simple app that also doesn't require connectivity at all I would try it.
snailman153624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #10
Devils

Buy some better gloves. I dont need to take gloves off to use my touchscreen phones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement