HID/Projector INSTALL IN FIRST GEN - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 1999-2002 model SV650.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
JimmyTheMonster

Bikes: 2002 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Kms: 5500
HID/Projector INSTALL IN FIRST GEN

They should definitely be removable. Everything can be taken apart

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
JimmyTheMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
Krygiel032

Bikes: SV650s
Miles Kms: 14000
Re: HID/Projector INSTALL IN FIRST GEN

Sweet thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheMonster View Post
They should definitely be removable. Everything can be taken apart

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Krygiel032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
phswrestler119

Bikes: 2000, Suzuki, SV677R
Miles Kms: Umm..... Not the slightest

Done this to a buddies subaru headlights. Bet its the same concept.
Linky

Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
Krygiel032

Yes it's similar in that doing the retrofit you bake the headlights and all that fun stuff, but in the case of the first gen sv's the lens itself is actually a textured plastic lens (refer to photo on page 1). So unlike the subarus which already have a clear lens, I'm gonna have to end up sanding it down to the point where it becomes clear. The retrofitting and all that isn't the problem, it's the sanding of the lens to hopefully make it clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phswrestler119 View Post
Done this to a buddies subaru headlights. Bet its the same concept.
Linky
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
phswrestler119

Bikes: 2000, Suzuki, SV677R
Miles Kms: Umm..... Not the slightest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krygiel032 View Post
Yes it's similar in that doing the retrofit you bake the headlights and all that fun stuff, but in the case of the first gen sv's the lens itself is actually a textured plastic lens (refer to photo on page 1). So unlike the subarus which already have a clear lens, I'm gonna have to end up sanding it down to the point where it becomes clear. The retrofitting and all that isn't the problem, it's the sanding of the lens to hopefully make it clear.
If I'm not mistaken the parabolic ridges that you want to get rid of are on the inside. You will still need to separate the lens to sand those down. Also something to think about is the material the lens is made of. Depending on what type of plastic,and the process they used to manufacture it will dictate if you can even get it clear. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Good luck
Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
chewymilk99
Site Supporter

Bikes: 2002 sv650s
Miles Kms: 17,000

I installed the bkmoto kit for the 2nd Gen in my 02s and as far as better lighting for night riding. Its awesome. But I wouldn't suggest doing halos or anything, because of the texture of the lenses. You won't be able to see the halos clearly.
As far as polishing the lens. Don't try. You will ruin the plastic. I work in plastic manufacturing. During the formation of the raw material (plastic pellets) they add hardening and sealing agents into the mix.
When they melt that and form the plastic sheets that eventually get molded into the lenses.
The protective layers are microns think.
You will be able to grind off the ridges, and polish the lenses.
But it will haze on the inside in a few months (notice car headlights that are hazy)
There are headlight polishing kits you can buy that come.with a sealer.
But in all honesty. They suck.
If I were to do it again I would grab a second Gen headlight nacelles and see if I could get it kinda fit in the first Gen fairing.

Or I would have gotten some water proof hids and just cut the lenses off.
But check with whoever does your inspections. Because most states require a DOT # to be legal.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
Krygiel032

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymilk99 View Post
I installed the bkmoto kit for the 2nd Gen in my 02s and as far as better lighting for night riding. Its awesome. But I wouldn't suggest doing halos or anything, because of the texture of the lenses. You won't be able to see the halos clearly.
As far as polishing the lens. Don't try. You will ruin the plastic. I work in plastic manufacturing. During the formation of the raw material (plastic pellets) they add hardening and sealing agents into the mix.
When they melt that and form the plastic sheets that eventually get molded into the lenses.
The protective layers are microns think.
You will be able to grind off the ridges, and polish the lenses.
But it will haze on the inside in a few months (notice car headlights that are hazy)
There are headlight polishing kits you can buy that come.with a sealer.
But in all honesty. They suck.
If I were to do it again I would grab a second Gen headlight nacelles and see if I could get it kinda fit in the first Gen fairing.

Or I would have gotten some water proof hids and just cut the lenses off.
But check with whoever does your inspections. Because most states require a DOT # to be legal.
Damn... I was hoping sanding them with some elbow grease would do the trick. I love HIDs becaues I ride alot at night.. I'm probably better off upgrading to a second gen lol. Would you happen to have any photos of how the lights look on your sv? Also maybe a photo with the lights facing a wall or garage door; I'm wondering how the textured lens effects the way the lights look. And is it 35 watt or 55 watt?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #18
chewymilk99
Site Supporter

Bikes: 2002 sv650s
Miles Kms: 17,000

Ummm pics? I'll have set up a photo bucket account first. But I went with the 35 because the 55 are kinda blue.
They have the same spread as the stockers (OK maybe a little farther) but man they are brighter.
If you do it I would suggest painting the reflectors black. I didn't and it makes it a little scattered.
And when I say a little I mean little.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
Sojuuk

Bikes: 2004 Honda VFR800
Miles Kms: 8500

Quote:
Ummm pics? I'll have set up a photo bucket account first. But I went with the 35 because the 55 are kinda blue.
They have the same spread as the stockers (OK maybe a little farther) but man they are brighter.
If you do it I would suggest painting the reflectors black. I didn't and it makes it a little scattered.
Photobucket not required! http://minus.com/ allows anonymous uploading but does delete the pictures after 30 days I believe. I am also really interested to see how the lights look in use.
Sojuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Krygiel032

Quote:
If did install them I'd definetly remove the reflectors because that's what the projectors are for. As far as 35 vs 55 watt, I installed both on multiple cars and the 55 watt ballasts tend to wash out the color of the bulbs, so you'd just choose a higher color temperature than you would if ordering the 35 watt. If i'd do it I'd go 55 watt, go big or go home

I'm just wondering how the textured plastic lens would affect how the HID+Projector lights look (with reflecters painted over).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement