Clean and Simple CBR600 Build - Page 7 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > The Build Board
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Build Board A place to post a journal or log of your SV / Gladius projects and builds. No replies or discussion are allowed.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #61
Knifemaker87

Bikes: White 'n Blue 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7.5 k
Send a message via AIM to Knifemaker87
Re: Clean and Simple CBR600 Build

hiding no longer!
okay....
here we go. it was friday night... and my wife had a bunch of girls over to watch a girly movie and have tea and stuff... so, i had to go out and work in the garage all evening. i fake cried a little and got some food out of the deal... :LolLolLolLol:

anyway... after playing around with the wiring and stuff and realizing i couldn't really do a whole lot without having the carbs in... i decided to tackle them. I have just been putting it off.

here is the intimidating beast.... i have it cornered.

taking the cap of, and removing the spring and diaphragm. gotta be careful cause it has sat out and is pretty delicate to begin with.

the needle and washers... gotta keep track of all the innards

is this it's bladder?

removing the float pin...

and... this is the state of the jets... corroded on top...

but the orifaces are pretty much clear.

it was at this point that i decided to remove the carb boots... only to find out that they had turned into a weird rubber rock. so i had to cut them off.. new ones from Japan are in the mail.

removed all the jets and needles.

and the carbs are as stripped as you can get them without taking them apart...

but... to get them clean.. you need to take them apart. gotta keep track of everything. all the little washer o-rings and everything. plus which springs go where. I soaked the carb bodies in pine sol overnight then scrubbed them out relally relaly good saurday morning. did the same for all the jets and needles. then blew everything out with compressed air. gonna do it one more time with carb cleaner to make sure... but i am waiting on a gasket set to put it together.

I did so a little detail work, and put the carbs back together. i also replaced all the screws (almost all of them were stripped) with socket or hex head screws.

I also found out (good timing) that the throttle tube is completely shot. so a new one of those will show up with the gasket set. now i just need the exhaust welded...

i will show sequences assembly (if you want) when i put it back together if you want.. or i will stop if you are tired of macro pictures.

thanks yall!
~Chris
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #62
Knifemaker87

okay,
got a small update here.. but alot of pictures.

first off, SEBSPEED decided to make me unsatisfied with my brake reservoirs, so an integrated version is being finalized... to eliminate all the hoses and clamps and crap.

using the stock hose adapter as a template

And... there you go

i also started playing around with the wiring..
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #63
Knifemaker87

okay.... so i got the swinger back from the welders. they did a really awesome job. the plugs held the fillers in place and kept spatter out of the tube.

So, all i had to do was take a skim-cut to cut it to size.

and it fits! i still need the bearings (but they have been ordered) and i need to make some bushings, but that shouldn't be hard.

Location of the pivot point... allows me to keep the stock linkage. you think this is gonna be a problem?

and... from the side...

I am also working on an integrated from reservoir

More to come soon!
thanks
~Chris

Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #64
Knifemaker87

okay...
so, by jetta (which is now for sale) has been taking up all my time and money.. however the bike has my interest. Hopefully i will get some tax return money for the project too, and when i sell the jetta i will get the bike money back out if it.

i got the gasket set which was able to complete the 4 sets i already had.
So i got busy putting the carbs back together

This is a SUPER TINY o ring on the needle.

then the jets went back in

i used a piece of .005" music wire to make sure all the holes were open, but they were all pretty clean.

Then the floats went back in. you don't set the height on these! they haynes manual says "if they are out of spec, replace them" so i was very glad to find them in spec.

I also replaced the hardware on the carbs to get rid of the stripped out phillips heads.

got the diaphragm and needle assembled...

and installed. (careful these springs will fly across the garage and roll under the tool cabinet)

and got the modified air-box on. ready to go on the bike

I also got the needle bearings in the mail then in the swinger

some custom oilite bushings...

and... not to brag.. but i think that is HOT! sorry for the blur.

now i cant decide about the shock. i cant really mock anything up either because the stock systems interfere with each other. i am going to go with a progressive linkage system, but i cant decide if i should keep the f2 frame mount, or go with the swing-arm mounting point, though i am leaning towards the swinger so i can upgrade my shock, i just think it is less attractive.

thoughts?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #65
Knifemaker87

I did get a little work done. Annnnnnd... i finished my taxes so i should be getting a little money for the build!

I got the tabs welded (at least tacked) for the radiator supports

Got the new carb boots in the mail and fit it on. Now i can see where to run the wiring.

I made stainless bushings... they work much better

and now... how do i remove these studs?

thanks for reading!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #66
Knifemaker87

thanks for all the input regarding the studs. It was very helpful.

sadly i didnt have anything other than lock-nuts, and as i am going to be using bolts instead of studs....

they all came out flawlessly.

also... since my headers are gonna be welded... i thought i might as well get the frame finished

tada! not i will finish all the little welding (battery box and such) before cleaning the frame and painting it.

And... i can also finish the engine so it is ready when i put it in. (and you can see the headers ready to be taken for welding. (gonna go over my lunch break and talk to them about how much and how long.

it feels kinda anticlimactic. this is where most people start their builds, but i am going to have to modify the frame as well when i get the rear shock re-done, so i needed the engine out. it is for the best.

thanks for the support!
~Knife
Old 02-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #67
Knifemaker87

alriiiight.

here we go. I sold the Jetta that had been hanging over my head. so there is no more time or money going into it, and i got some cash for it. So i have about $300 added to my budget which take my budget to... you guessed it.. $300.

So right away i spent it on stuff i have been drooling over.

new forks: 02 gsxr 1000's

new sprocket set 15t front 43t back
new chain
New iridium spark plugs.

so i have about $100 left and i will get about $200 from the tax refund money to spend on the bike when i comes through.

I also did some research, and pulled the trigger on a shock. the F2 has a very short shock, and the only new nice shock that i could find in the same length range was the CBR 954. so.. i got one of those for about $20. it is a little shorter than the previous spring giving me a little more room to mount it as well as being able to keep the stock linkage mounts and angles.

I also got the rear wheel hub turned down.

Kinda pretty, dont you think?

While i was figuring out where to put the R/R i found this: What do i do with that? is there a way to repair it?

I did get the tail tidyed up and the gap filled.

now the tail also rests on this "shelf" and make it a 5-point support for the tail

ugly welds.. BE GONE!

i relocated my ignition...

and now the frame is ready for stripping. i am hoping to paint it on Friday.

More to come soon!
thanks
~Chris
Old 02-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #68
Knifemaker87

okay...
i have gotten a little work done.

I finally got in touch with the Ti welder, and i am going to go meet with him at lunch time today. here is what has to be welded

I made a coupler and copper gasket. the collector will be welded to the steel coupler.

I was also getting too much flex out of the aluminum rearset risers.. so i made a new set out of stainless. it has a cool texture to boot!

I stripped the frame in prep for painting.

And got the new shock in the mail. old vs new. a Cbr 600 f4 shock vs a Cbr 954 shock. it fits the stock mounting point and rocker.

Mocked up the shock position. I am going to get the brackets welded on this afternoon.

So. today should be pretty epic as far as the bike is concerned.
new shocks arrive
Getting header welded
Finishing Swing-arm.

and i should paint the frame tomorrow.

more to come!
thanks so much
~Chris
Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #69
Knifemaker87

and as for pictures... i have one.. and a teaser

we got the swinger TIG'ed up very stoutly.

and Mike did some re-enforcing on the frame as well... beautiful tig work. He works in shipbuilding as a welder, so he is a real artist with a TIG torch.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #70
Knifemaker87

Sand-blasted goodness:

And a little satin black...

it is gonna dry over the long weekend.
Sponsored Links