Gen 2 race bike, ZX6R swingarm swap, wheel swap - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV Modifications and General Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV Modifications and General Maintenance General information about modding and servicing your SV.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
ssweetbro

Bikes: 12 ZX10R, 03 Suzuki SV1000S, 94 Kawasaki KZ1000, 1979 KZ650 project
Miles Kms: 5000
Gen 2 race bike, ZX6R swingarm swap, wheel swap

Hi SV peeps. I'm old but new here. I've owned 2 sv1000's. I sold my last 1000 about 5 years ago. They were both street bikes, I put a bunch of info about them on here back then.

I have a 07 SV650 that I'm racing now, thanks to my buddy Sam. He basically donated the bike to me.

Anyway, it was already a race bike, so it had a good amount of stuff done. It currently has a bandit wheel swap. I'm running the newest pirelli 180/60 slicks and it is VERY hard to get my tire warmers between the swingarm and tire (picture below)

I am picking up a 06 ZX6R swingarm and wheels today. I am mostly doing this for more clearance around the tire and then the wheels are a bonus in the looks category.

I'm going to be very detailed with measurements and pictures in case anyone wants to do this in the future

Here is a picture of the the bike and wheel gap

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
DarkHorseSV650

Watching with interest! Best of luck with it!
DarkHorseSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Junkie

Bikes: 06 1k
Re: Gen 2 race bike, ZX6R swingarm swap, wheel swap

I didn't realize that a Bandit wheel was an option, hadn't heard of it before

Old 10-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
ssweetbro

You need to do some machining to get the bandit wheel to fit. Previous owner did that. It works fine, just this new pirelli is really big. That's my main thing.

I will post up tonight, I got the swingarm on. The whole thing should be going by next week. We'll, it has to be going, I have a trackday next Friday! Hahahahaha

Here is one picture

Last edited by ssweetbro; 10-17-2019 at 01:00 AM.
ssweetbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
ssweetbro

Longer write up here. First, I'll go over what I got.

Parts:

2003-2006 zx6r:

Swingarm (including rear axle, spacers, caliper and caliper bracket, dog bones and linkage)
Rear wheel
Front wheel

Special parts:

Aluminum spacers made for swingarm pivot and linkage
Modified exhaust

That's about it, obviously this is harder for some and easier for others. I have a friend with a lathe and I can weld and have access to a welder.

Now I did my research before I got started. I know that the swingarm is basically the same width at the front, but you need some spacers. The SV swingarm has 2 large hat washer type spacers and they won't work with the zx swingarm. On the sprocket side, the zx has a huge steel washer that is captured in the rubber chain guide. It needs to be spaced off of the frame 10mm. This helps to center the swingarm and align the chain (which is close and I'll talk about later) on the other side, there needs to be a spacer that goes into the dust seal and presses up against the bearing. I don't know what the ZX uses as I didn't get it. At first I thought to just tighten the stock SV swingarm pivot shaft until it reached the bearing but I stopped when it threaded all the way into the frame. Instead, I measured from the bearing to the dust seal and it's about 8mm. So I'm getting a 10mm spacer for that side too. It will sit inside the dust seal and the swingarm pivot will tighten again it and hold everything in place. (pics when I get the spacers)

Spacers specs:

Sprocket side 20mm ID, 30mm OD and 10mm deep.

Other side 20mm ID, 25mm(inside dimension of dust seal) and 10mm deep

Now, the ZX dog bones are like 190mm long and the SV are about 145mm. So I used the SV. The link on the ZX is really wide, 190mm and the SV is 165mm. You have to use the SV link so that it will have the right holes for the link bolts. To take up the extra space I am getting spacers here too. Total of 25mm to make up, due to alignment, I'm doing 10mm sprocket side and 15mm other side. (pics later)

Spacers specs:

Sprocket side 12mm ID, 20mm OD and 10mm width
Other side 12mm ID, 20mm OD and 15mm width

So with this, the sprocket is mounted! Really not too bad.

This is where I am at physically right now. Spacers are being made and exhaust tubing is on its way. I will need to cut off part of my M4 collector and the reweld it to clear the swingarm. I will post pictures.

That is the mechanical mounting side. Now the other side is the "how the f will my suspension work?" side. So I currently have a JRi Shock on the back. It has adjustable ride height. Not much adjustment is needed. Measuring to an arbitrary spot on my tail, they rear ride height is about 5mm lower, which I can adjust with the shock. Yes, right now the rear is a little lower.

Now I remember reading another post about this swap and they said that after it felt better and less "on top" of the front end. Well, that is mostly because if you do a gizzer swap front end, it is much shorter than the stock fork. Making it turn WAY too easy. I'm gonna ride it where it is and see.

Also, the pivot-to-axle length is almost identical, SV was like 21 inches on the dot, ZX is about 21.3 inched all the way front. This again will be a "see how it goes" thing.

Here are some pictures. More coming soon.

They are kinda random cause I'm doing this on my phone. Surprisingly, the stock swingarm is about half a pound heavier then the ZX. But the big deal is, the ZX rear wheel is 4 pounds lighter then the bandit wheel. So that is a LOT of rotating weight.

Last edited by ssweetbro; 10-17-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #6
DarkHorseSV650

This is very cool.

Apart from anything else the ZX gulwing swingarm looks SOOOOO much better than the old RHS stocker.

Doesn't sound like too much hassle to get everything fitted and lined up, though I'm sure you're making it sound much easier than it actually is!

Thanks for posting those spacer dimensions too, that's very kind of you.

Re: ride height - the stock ZX6 shocks are generally a few mm longer than the SV stock, so that might be a convenient cheat for others looking at this?
DarkHorseSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
wsmc549

Great write up. You should put together a spacer kit and sell it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
wsmc549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
ssweetbro

Hey all,

So I got some more work done. I took the bike to a friend who is a turbo fabricator AND DID A TEIN TURBO SET UP!

OK, no, that's a lie.

But I did go to him to do the exhaust. Check out the pictures below. I don't have too much to say about it, basically I stood there, he did 85% of the work and I just did what he said to help, ha.

A few days later, I got my new front rotors. Here is a nice note, all the kawis, ZX6R, zx10, ZX14 use the same bolt pattern on rotors and none of them have any offset. So if you need bigger rotors, just look at different years of the zx10. These are for like, the 2012-16 or something. They are 310mm. The front wheel is a direct bolt on for the gsxr forks. The mounting surface for the discs is 1.5mm wider than the old gsxr wheel. Fortunately this still fits in the calipers........ barely. And I mean like 0.5mm of space. Good enough for me!

I got the spacers in for the swingarm. There is a picture of all 4. The largest one goes on the sprocket side of the swingarm. The thin large one goes on the right of the swingarm. It slides into the dust seal. The 2 smaller ones go on the lower dogbone bolts. Everything lines up perfectly, I guess I'm good at measuring or really lucky

So now it's almost done. My new sprockets come in today. I'll mount that stuff tonight and perfect the chain alignment. Then it's time to rip!

So now to get back to the benifits of the swap. As a whole, the rear wheel saved 5 pounds of rotating weight, the front saved 2.5 pounds of rotating weight and the swingarm saved maybe a pound. Now my tire warmers for too. So lots of good things here, and looks too.

Did I make this swap seem a little easy? Maybe. I have access to a lot of good people and tools. But it's not too difficult. Welding would be a tough part. I might make extra spacers and offer them up. My friend made me one extra set this time.

As for the rear shock, I have a height adjustable JRi shock, so I dont really know how that relates to stock shocks. Mine is right about 340 eye to eye. Rear axle to tail changed less than a quarter inch in the swap.

Last edited by ssweetbro; 10-17-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:58 AM   #9
ssweetbro

K, bike is done. Today I got a new 14t front sprocket and new front brake pads. I flipped the sprocket so the shoulder is on the inside, also added a 2mm spacer behind. I tightened everything down and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. Everything seems fine. Headed to the track Friday.

Two minor issues. First, the spacer on the right of the swingarm is 10mm wide. This brings its outer surface 1mm past the dust seal. But now the swingarm pivot shaft doesn't completely fill the nut on the left side. It's not a huge deal, but gonna get a 5mm spacer and put that in. Second, the exhaust has a small leak, basically the rear header and link pipe aren't the same exact circle shape, so it leaks a little. I don't think it's major, but I'm gonna take it apart and fix it.

Other than that, well, hum, I was running a 15-47 and now it's 14-45. So a little more acceleration. We shall see how that is. Can't think of too much else. Won't really know much til it's on the track.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
Junkie

Bikes: 06 1k

hmm, I wonder if anyone has put one on an SV1000. stock swingarm is better than the 650 but nowhere near as nice looking as that. rear header is a problem there too.
Advertisement