06 sv650 fading spark - Page 4 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:03 AM   #31
TeeRiver

Bikes: '03N, '07N
Miles Kms: ~44/gal
Re: 06 sv650 fading spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
...yes the bike s hooked to a NEW battery.
Excellent.

Based on information so far it appears:
- The battery is good. New. New batteries can fail out of the box but for now assuming good.
- Ground to the engine is good. Even if this connection were poor the starter motor would fail to crank long before the plugs fail to fire.
- Crank position sensor and ECM are good. Getting strong steady spark while playing only playing with the pulgs/wires means so those must be ok.

I share you skepticism about the plug cap connections given prior replacement. Even though we are running out of things to test, I think you are getting close. There is no voodoo no magic, the problem has to be there.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #32
[email protected]

i certainly agree its close. ive taken a day off today from work(my company) and i plan on having a go at it later today. thankfully this bike is not something i need in order to ride. thats what it was like i was young: get qn old bike and need to fix stuff before i could ride. these days i have a small collection of bikes allowing me to take all the time i need to fix this one. i am going to trim the wires today as well as recheck all of the connectors and such. thanks for all of your input teeriver and everybody else it is absolutely much appreciated.
woodmeaney@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #33
[email protected]

finally got the sob to run. took spart prettywelm every connector some forthe 3rd time and got a constant spark. as i turned on the jey i caught s smsll spark for the 2 wire plug on back. paid more attrntion to it tho it was clean. now i have a steady strong spark and it started. hoping this is it.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #34
[email protected]

sorry for all the posts but ypu guys know more than anybody what its like to chase the gremlins. i have the bike running and it runs nice and smooth. however it is very hard to start. i crank it over and it will take forever for it to make an offer. when it does i feather the throttle a bit and it catches. it runs smooth if i leave it however a couple things happen.
1. if i try to do any more than gently increase throttle it will shut down and it will start only after leaving it sit for 5 or 10 mins.
2. i can gently raise rpms up to around 7 to 8k and it will start to miss.
sounds like its not getting gas so i checked the lines, fuel pump kicks in. when i put a jumper wire in the test plug on the tail of the bike it shows "C00". when i get it started it throws out "C24" which is a fault for the number 1 cylinder which im guessing is front. i have a very strong spark on 5he rear but i could not see spark at all on the front. i have 2 more coils so i tried those, i changed caps, plugs and all same result. no spark. however when the bikes is running it seems as smooth as any other bike i have so im just friggin stumped about that. bright side is the bike runs somewhat. down side is it wont run anywhere enough to call it fixed. as well, i noticed when i try to put it in gear it shuts off. so there it is. im a bit farther ahead but not there yet. great paper weight l0l
Old 09-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #35
Othen

Bikes: SV650 K6, Triumph Scrambler, CCM CXR 230, Suzuki B100P
06 sv650 fading spark

It sounds like there may be a few faults with this bike that may or may not be connected, well done for finding the first.
Code C24 would seem to be the ignition signal to the front cylinder, which corroborates what you are seeing.

So, I think you said above you had checked the coils and plug caps (but check them again), so what is left is the ECU and the wiring in between. I think the only way of checking the ECU is to swap it with another and see if the problems goes away. If you are able to borrow one try that, if not check all the wiring between with your meter - and wiggle everything around to see if that makes any difference. If you still canít find the issue you may have to buy another ECU - a used one on eBay would seem to be sensible.
Persevere!
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 09-24-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #36
[email protected]

this has certainly been an educational trek through the ignition system of the SV650! lol
I have always worked on bikes as that was initially the only way I could have one of my own. However I never really had to delve into the electrical system as with this bike, this never really developing an understanding of the whols circuit. Since I have been on this little adventure I have learned how to check contunuity, resistance, voltage and so on. I admitedly started this post a whole lot less knowledgeable on the subject than I am now which I believe is the positive that I will take away from this. I have come to the conclusion that the ecu is likely the cause of my bikes lack of spark on the coil serving the front cylinder. I spent the better part of last evening checking every wire, connector and everything else in the way for breaks, faults and so on. I could not find a damn thing wrong according to my newfound brilliance in these items lolol. Seriously tho after asking you guys all the questions i could think of I put in an honest effort at finally punpointing the issue. I dont want it tobe the case but looks like the ecu is kaput. so its off to ebay or wherever I can find a sensibly priced unit and try my luck. It was suggested that I borrow a knowingly good unit and swap it in. However most of my bike riding friends are moved from sportbikes to cruisers so borrowing is not an option. anyways thanks for allthe help and i will report later on down the road, when i get another ecu, if it eas indeed the problem.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #37
TeeRiver

Bikes: '03N, '07N
Miles Kms: ~44/gal

The SV ECM is extremely reliable. In ten years here on SV I have only seen a few gen2 ECM failures and all were of the fuel pump control, never the ignition.

That does not mean your ECM is okay but it should be the very last thing to replace.

Good thing is used SV ECMs are readily available and only about $50 so not a big risk to know for sure if that is the problem or not. Hopefully that will fix it.
Advertisement