Which Rear Shock? - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen2 (03-15) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 2003-2015 model SV650.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
DF98

Bikes: SV650 K8 2008
Which Rear Shock?

Hi All,

I have a 2008 K8 SV 650, and on the last MOT they advised the rear shock was replaced, and said it would need doing before the next one (October this year)

What shock should I go for? I only use the bike for commuting into London, so should I keep it standard, or go for a standard shock off another bike?

Also, should I replace any of the bearings at the same time?

Thanks for your advice guys!
DF98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
Urban Kyng

Bikes: 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Kms: 2621 Miles
For a cheap upgrade, I would get another shock from another bike. Some shocks take a little modification to fit, such as cutting the the battery box for a gsxr shock.
But I know for sure that a zx14 or zx14r shock swaps right in without any mods. As this is what I have installed on my k6.
And as for the bearings, I would only change them out if they have any play in them.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Wedgewood

Bikes: 2003 Suzuki Sv650s
Miles Kms: 24000
Re: Which Rear Shock?

In my opinion....I'd go with anything other than the stock Sv rear shock.

My rear shock was so soft it would pogo all the time, it was very unnerving. I swapped it out for an 04 GSXR 1000 rear shock. It's not nearly as good as an aftermarket shock but it's so much better than the stock sv shock. The bike tracks straighter, much more stable on turn in, mid corner and exit. It made braking so much easier as the front didn't dive nearly as much and it even made throttle control smoother because the bike doesn't wallow or move when I change the throttle position like it did before.
Wedgewood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
twag4
Supporting Member

Bikes: 01 650s
Miles Kms: 22000

A zx10shock is a good swap too
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
DF98

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the ZX10R shocks seem to be more readily available than the ZX14R, do you happen to know what years fit the SV? I can see quite a few different Shocks for the ZX that all seem to fit slightly differently.

This might have to wait now any way, been away for 10 days, came back and no fuel pump noise, bike wont start. Time for a strip down tomorrow I think... yay!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #6
InnocentEd

Bikes: 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Kms: 13219

I like the ZX10 too but if you want the ZX14R I have a 12-17 ZX14R with the linkage. It's in great condition.

PM if interested
InnocentEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
sv650bklyn

Bikes: 2006 SV650 (Gen 2)
Miles Kms: 53000 mi

For compatible shocks check out the Shock Swap Info spreadsheet on Google. You want one with a 90 degree reservoir.
For the correct spring rate for your bike and body weight, check the Penske Spring Application Chart PDF.

In my case (USA) the ZX14 shock was much cheaper ($50) and I swapped out the rock hard OEM spring with a properly weighted Hyperco spring ($80). Had to invest in a Shock Spring Compressor tool ($35) and a Racetech spring adapter collar ($4, item no. SPSC B5855), but my shock feels perfect now. Oh, and I needed to cut about 2mm off the bottom link bolt as it was touching the dog bones aka shock linkages.

Last edited by sv650bklyn; 06-17-2019 at 05:59 PM.
sv650bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:17 PM   #8
gork

Bikes: 2007 SV 650
Miles Kms: 30333

Keep an eye on the shock length as well as the spring/spring rate for the shock to be swapped as you'll want to have it set up before you fit it, as mentioned you may need to switch out the spring.

I just swapped out a stock SV650 shock with a ZX-14R shock. The length is the same as stock and the spring/spring rate were just fine for me to not have to replace the spring.

When fitting the shock set the preload before installing it but get ready to make some adjustment to set sag properly.

To remove the shock I put the rear wheel on spools/pit stand, put a small wooden block under the center of the engine and supported the bike under the engine with a floor jack. Just take off the dog bones, adjust the floor jack accordingly to ease the bolts out, remove the lower then upper shock bolts and the shock will drop right out.

To install the shock you can re-install the shock, use the floor jack to adjust the bike height to get the bolts to line up, shock bolts (torque) then dogbones (torque).

It's surprisingly easy, once completed you can set rebound and preload, get ready for a test drive!
gork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
DF98

Thanks gork, that's really useful information

Just got the bike back on the road after the fuel pump died. So not done anythig about the shock.

I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay for a reasonable one.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
gork

Bikes: 2007 SV 650
Miles Kms: 30333

Happy to help - I thought replacing the shock was going to be a major PITA but planning it out - and having the right sized bolts!!! - was critical.

There are some really nice, low mileage ZX15R shocks out there and depending on your weight they could be a great out of the box option, plus they have rebound and compression damping which is good to have. A Penske? No but totally affordable and an easy drop in.

I found the pit stand/floor jack gave me the amount of control I needed to get the bolts out of - and more importantly, back into - the shock and dog bone holes which made it a one person operation. Just raise/lower the floor jack and things will line up perfectly.

I have a second ZX14R shock (never used!) that I have in reserve, will swap it out in a heartbeat if I need to do it again!
gork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement