Clean and Simple II Virago - Page 38 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #371
Knifemaker87

Bikes: White 'n Blue 2006 SV650S
Miles Kms: 7.5 k
Send a message via AIM to Knifemaker87
Re: Clean and Simple II Virago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 717rider View Post
knifemaker, are you doing wet lay-up? Or resin infusion?
All of the parts I have made at home have been wet lay-ups. With the last build I had access to a vacuum pump so I did some vacuum bagging, but not this time around.

For those of you wondering what that is; a wet lay-up is where you wet each layer or two with resin as you lay them in the mold, and then use a roller or squeegee to compress the layers and get out the excess resin. If you have a vacuum you can use it to compress the layers and hold them tight to the mold.

Resin infusion is where you lay up all the cloth dry and then pull the resin through the cloth using a vacuum and resin system to catch the excess resin.
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #372
mad8vskillz
Underground Parts Slinger

Bikes: 03 650, 03 1000S (x2), grom, te610 sumo, 919, kayo, nswtf148
Miles Kms: 1.6 miles/km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker87 View Post
All of the parts I have made at home have been wet lay-ups. With the last build I had access to a vacuum pump so I did some vacuum bagging, but not this time around.

For those of you wondering what that is; a wet lay-up is where you wet each layer or two with resin as you lay them in the mold, and then use a roller or squeegee to compress the layers and get out the excess resin. If you have a vacuum you can use it to compress the layers and hold them tight to the mold.

Resin infusion is where you lay up all the cloth dry and then pull the resin through the cloth using a vacuum and resin system to catch the excess resin.
very interesting. are there any tutorials you'd recommend for learning to do this stuff?
www.mad8v.com - killer prices on Supersprox, and lots of 1g and 2g sv650 and sv1000 parts
mad8vskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #373
jbswear

Bikes: '75 FLH chopper, 2009 Concours
Miles Kms: 4600

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...bon+fiber&sm=3

I'm another SVHadder now.
jbswear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #374
717rider

Bikes: 03 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker87 View Post

Your weave turned out good! Think I'm going then infusion route for belly pans, too many curves to work the carbon around, the weave would get distorted.
717rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #375
Knifemaker87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 717rider View Post
Your weave turned out good! Think I'm going then infusion route for belly pans, too many curves to work the carbon around, the weave would get distorted.
Or you could do pre-preg. That keeps the fibers from getting too distorted. But you need to vacuum bag it if there are a lot of curves. Resin infusion is just too expensive and wasteful for what I am doing
Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #376
717rider

Bikes: 03 sv650s

True. I plan on bagging them for sure. I'll have to look at pre-preg prices.
717rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #377
svscott

Bikes: '03 SVS silver
Miles Kms: 23,000 and counting

This is by far the awesomest Virago I have ever seen. I am looking forward to the next episode.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #378
RMAN

Bikes: '05 Triumph Thruxton 900 SOLD, Triumph T595 Daytona, '01 SVS SOLD
Miles Kms: 15,600 15,500 22,000

You need an autoclave for pre-preg. EasyComposites has tutorials on YouTube and its own forum. A UK company.
RMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #379
Rmagic

Bikes: 05 SV650 project
Miles Kms: 8k plus

Well done ! Can't wait to see more progress.
Rmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #380
Knifemaker87

Hey everybody,
My heater died, so while waiting for the repair-man to fix my quickly cooling house, i did get some work done.

I got the other side flange done, and got this picture with the part all lined up before i put the flange in.

With both side flanges done, i put the halves back into their prospective molds, and bolted it down, lining both sides up. This is why you make a two part mold that will go back together just perfectly.

Carbon seam all laid up. With the weather being so cold (in the 30's and we got some flurries) i laid everything up outside and then brought the parts in and popped them in the oven for a little bit at 150 degrees.

Now it's hard to see with my terrible picture taking, but with both halves finally together i lined up the throat and laid up the support on that too.

It doesnt line up perfectly, but it is pretty darn close. also, you can see what happens when you let humidity get into your resin and hardener; it hardens opaque. good thing this part will be covered with paint.

This is with the bottom just laid on, but you get the idea. all matchy matchy

So now, the top three parts are one, and fit seamlessly onto the bottom half so it will be a gas-tight fit. now i just need to fit the gas-cap, the spigot and fixtures before i can seal it up and bond it together.

thanks for looking! more soon, and you wont have to look at the tank anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement