MotoGP 2012 - The Official Thread - Page 70 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Racing
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Racing **POTENTIAL SPOILERS INSIDE** Discuss racing SV's - or talk about your favorite racers, from MotoGP to the local club circuit.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #691
BKK Jack

Bikes: 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, White!
Miles Kms: 1 @ delivery, it's a start.
Re: MotoGP 2012 - The Official Thread

That very well may be true, but that doesn't necessarily stop them from loading very specific data while the bikes are in the pits during the practice sessions.

Just more reason to bin the "electronics packages" altogether. But, just like getting rid of all the crazy aero-sht in F1, those guys tend not to listen to me.

EDIT: I haven't watched Moto3 yet, but Moto2 was much more exciting, am I'm sure 3 will be as good as 2 if not better. GP is becoming (already has?) become the same boring multimillion dollar parade that is F1. Not that I won't stop watching - not yet anyway.
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #692
roma258

Bikes: 2001 Yamaha FZ1, 1999 Race SV, 2000(?) Honda XR100 mini racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post
EDIT: I haven't watched Moto3 yet, but Moto2 was much more exciting, am I'm sure 3 will be as good as 2 if not better. GP is becoming (already has?) become the same boring multimillion dollar parade that is F1. Not that I won't stop watching - not yet anyway.
Yeah another snoozefest. It seems like Lorenzo can hang with Stoner a bit better this year, so maybe they'll find something as the season goes on and finally dice it up, but until that day comes, MotoGP hasn't delivered much excitement in years.

Also kinda hoping Spies drops down to SBK next year, his one season there was mega-enjoyable.
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #693
fafaforza

Bikes: '01 SV650, '05 CRF250X, '06 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 50000

The track might be too tight for the liter bikes.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #694
Motorick

Bikes: SV Hadder; 2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_bitter View Post
Imagine how quick he would be on a bike he was happy with.
I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts Stoner will never be on a bike that he says he is happy with.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #695
Boldor

Bikes: Katie-M Duke 690
Miles Kms: Ex-Courier

I'd suggest it's not the bike he has issues with but the Bridgestone rim-protectors.
Boldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #696
insideyou

I notice this comment in motogp homepage..sorry for my ingenuity...

"Nicky Hayden, on the other hand, just tried to make it to the finish due to an electrical problem with his bike’s ECU, which was subject to interference from a radio signal near the track. As a result, all of the electronic calibrations were out of phase around the circuit, making riding extremely challenging. The American nonetheless rode with great determination to an eleventh-place finish."

Hum... so it appears to me that the ECU is connect to a gps or tachmeter and gives the ""electronic Calibrations" to each part of the circuit !!!! interesting

poor Nicky he was in the end of the main straight and the ecu was in the parabolic..eheheh

anybody has a more detailed photos of the buttons in each handlebar

or some photos of the instruments

some more info about this ecu's/electronic aids would be apreciated.

Regards From Portugal,
BF

Last edited by insideyou; 05-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.
insideyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #697
vic_bitter

Bikes: sv1000s
Miles Kms: 6000ks

If track data was pre-loaded and the ECU didn't have 2 way coms then it would not be subject to outside interferance.
It would have to be some sort of GPS tracking to allow for varying lap times.
And yes I think Stoner would complain his train set didn't follow the tracks properly.
vic_bitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #698
BKK Jack

Bikes: 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, White!
Miles Kms: 1 @ delivery, it's a start.

That's a good point. However, anything electronic can be subject to outside interference if it's not shielded properly. A GPS system is a very likely candidate, and might be legal, since the unit is receiving only location data and not any voodoo from the pits. There is obviously some location information being transmitted, because it is used by timing and scoring, and is available on the website during the events. It would have been interesting to see where it showed Nicky's bike on track and how well that correlated with where it actually was.

If they use a centralized organizer sanctioned transponder system, depending on how it is configured, there is a possibility every bike would have been affected, not just Nicky's. This would happen if they were using some variation of a mesh radio system, where every bike is using the same frequencies and assigned distinct station identifiers (such as IP addresses). The organizer would have rights to view all data flowing over the system, and could assign the individual teams rights and permissions to see only the data the organizer/rules allows them to see. In my opinion, this would be the best system, since it would eliminate the possibility of the teams having the ability to actively communicate to the bikes.

Since his was apparently the only bike affected, I'm lead to believe the system is decentralized, or at the very least, the teams are assigned different frequencies to send information to timing and scoring. But, if that were the case, wouldn't the organizer (network control) ensure those frequencies were cleared within the confines of the track to eliminate the possibility for interference? A simple survey of the area with the proper equipment would give a profile of the radio environment, and allow them to configure their communications plan accordingly.

I hate to say it, but based on my less than comprehensive knowledge of the rules and exactly how their systems work, I might be easily convinced that there are shenanigans afoot.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #699
insideyou

interesting, ecu from Cosworth
Case Studies

MotoGP & WSBK

2011 was an important year for Cosworth Electronics on the sports bike side, as the MotoGP and WSBK regulations allows ride-by-wire system. A new control software has been developed in close collaboration with the WSBK Castrol Honda team. Not less than 5 riders were involve in the development.
Cosworth WSBK system raced for the first time in IMOLA and won the race against all the official teams.
Pectel MQ12 Engine Controller
Pectel most advanced ECU feature a newly developed sector-by-sector mapping, allowing calibration changes depending of the position of the bike. The MQ12 also feature active Engine Braking Control, anti-wheelie, launch control and Traction Control. This ECU can also send split time to the Omega Dash.
Pectel DB1 Card logger
The DB1 is a compact flash card writer used to log the information send over CAN by the ECU. The logging memory is up to 2GB and the bandwidth is up to 8000 samples/second. This provides a very flexible logging system where you do not need to plug a wire to download the data. After each outing, the data engineer replaces the card by an empty one and can use the data logged while debriefing with the rider.
Omega Dash
The Omega D1 Dash is a highly configurable dash, where the writing is clear and precise. The removable shift light module allows it to be mounted in the optimum position. The dash can display alarm from the ECU, lap time, Gear, Traction Control setting, …
IMU
The IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) is able to measure all three axis of acceleration (AccX, AccY, AccZ) and angles (pitch, roll and yaw gyros) of the bike for data analysis. The lean angle is use to correct the tyre diameter as the circumference isn't the same depending of the lean angle. Our IMU is communicating to the ECU via CAN which ensure a reliable signal to be use for control strategies.
GPS antenna
The GPS antenna is wired directly to the ECU. This information can be used to trigger lap beacon or control strategies. We also use the position of the bike on the track to compare rider's lines…
Wiring Harness
Often overlooked but an absolutely essential part of any race car. Wiring issues are both complicated to diagnose and difficult to repair so Cosworth ensured they were built to last with excellent reliability.
Pi Toolbox Pro Analysis Software
Old 05-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #700
insideyou

they receive money to play with all this toys .....dammm.....lucky *******s...

Product Lines:
Magneti Marelli Motorsport catalogue

Last edited by insideyou; 05-08-2012 at 05:36 PM.
insideyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement