My little SV based project - Page 9 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #81
jakewest789

Bikes: 2009 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Kms: 6,xxx
Re: My little SV based project

Holy crap, that bike looks AMAZING so far. Keep the updates coming, awesome work.
jakewest789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #82
EvanS

Bikes: 2006 Suzuki SV650SF
Miles Kms: 5,000

absolutely beautiful work
EvanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #83
mwood

Bikes: 07 Suzuki SV650s
Miles Kms: Clearly not enough

all i can say is bad ass...

keep up the excellent work
mwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #84
marlonjb007

Bikes: Track/Street, Suzuki SV-650 2006, 2006 S2R Ducati
Miles Kms: 8,200

I just saw the update. Holy crap, you are in a different level.
marlonjb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #85
insideyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideyou View Post
Todge,

what cad design sw did you use

where did you find inspiration for the frame design?did you do any structural analyses?

your project made me remember this (French) track bike...

Regards from Portugal,
BF
bump
Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #86
Todge

Bikes: SV something?

BF,

Sorry I missed your questions before.

The CAD software I used for that model was Alias Studiotools, but I now use Solidworks to do all the engineering elements of the design work.

Inspiration from the frame came from whats already out there and been proven and whats best fits around the SV package. I have a fair bit of experience with steel frame manufacture of bicycle frames and vintage Norton motorcycles and would like to think I've developed a sound knowledge of good practice. If you study the chassis design carefully you should be able to clearly see elements of Ducati and KTM RC8. There has been no structural analysis performed. If i knew how, then maybe I would have. Its just a case of build it well and see how it goes out on track.

Arron
Todge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #87
jono916

Bikes: 03 cbr600rr
Miles Kms: 33000

The frame looks very similar to a guy from the UK who had it built by Tigcraft, but instead of having fairing like you he has replica rs250 fairings from when Pedrosa was racing in the 250 gps. So impressed with this build, its perfect!!!
jono916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #88
Todge

Bikes: SV something?

Hello everyone, thanks for all the positive comments.

I have a few technical questions Id like to know the answers too before I finally commit to making the first prototype frame.

My intentions are to have the frame compatible with both the Curvy and Pointy engines and as such I would like to make it compatible with either swingarm setup, though I do intend on making my own at some point.

My questions are as follows:

1, What size is the thread in the swingarm boss on the frame which the swingarm pivot threads into? I've read it as M28x?, but M27x1.5 seems to be the standard size tap to buy?

2, I know the pointy swingarm pivot is slightly wider then the curvy, but could someone provide me with an accurate measurement between a, swingarm bosses either side on the frame and b, the width of the swingarm pivot on the swingarm (with any dust seals etc) and I am also presuming the swingarm axles on the pointy and curvy and both the same diameter and thread sizes?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Arron
Todge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #89
JMartel

Bikes: 03 Copper SV1000S
Miles Kms: 13k

Thank you for bumping it. I can't answer your questions, but it is looking amazing so far. THIS is how you do a build.
JMartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #90
DrummerDaveB
The Well-Leathered Mod

Bikes: 99 SV
Miles Kms: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todge View Post
Hello everyone, thanks for all the positive comments.

I have a few technical questions Id like to know the answers too before I finally commit to making the first prototype frame.

My intentions are to have the frame compatible with both the Curvy and Pointy engines and as such I would like to make it compatible with either swingarm setup, though I do intend on making my own at some point.

My questions are as follows:

1, What size is the thread in the swingarm boss on the frame which the swingarm pivot threads into? I've read it as M28x?, but M27x1.5 seems to be the standard size tap to buy?

2, I know the pointy swingarm pivot is slightly wider then the curvy, but could someone provide me with an accurate measurement between a, swingarm bosses either side on the frame and b, the width of the swingarm pivot on the swingarm (with any dust seals etc) and I am also presuming the swingarm axles on the pointy and curvy and both the same diameter and thread sizes?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Arron
I dont have measurements either, but my personal opinion is skip the SV swingarm and put something on there from a GSXR, R6, etc.
The SV swingarm is not only visually disappointing, but in need of additional braces and stuff to keep them from flexing as well (usually only done by racers and places like TWF cause we mortals dont know the difference).

I say a standard R6 swingarm would be cheap and plentiful, as well as look 100x better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement