Suave's GSXR Swap Pictoral Guide. - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Workshop > SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

SV650 Gen1 (99-02) Tech Info, advice or questions specific to the 1999-2002 model SV650.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
mattjmartin

Bikes: SV Track bike, FZ6 street bike
Miles Kms: 20k, 3200
Re: Suave's GSXR Swap Pictoral Guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ecosse View Post
Everyone has their own way of doing things so this isn't criticism just alternative:

After removing the riser tops & bars, drop the speedo, then undo the top clamp & flip it over & stick it back on the forks to get easier access to the riser nuts & ignition bolts (unplug ignition harness if it helps to get extra freedom)
No need to re-clamp it up, just use the forks to hold it from turning.
That's exactly what I did when I was forced to drill out the security torx screws in the bottom of the ignition. Worked like a charm.
mattjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
SuaveNotion

Bikes: Birthday Suit 2k
Miles Kms: As we speak

That stupid "tamper proof" torx thing was a pain. Had to go to 3 sears stores before i found one that worked. As D'Ecosse said, several people post up on ebay 600/750 so I just used 750 when i was describing them.

Even after reading the "swap post" that is around here somewhere I must have missed the part that the SRAD triples were wider than later models. Thanks a lot for the shim sizes for the rotors and wheel, saved me a TON of time...
SuaveNotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #13
SuaveNotion

Ok, so now you gotta use a size 40 or 45 (40 worked for me but it seemed small) tamper proof torx wrench to get the ignition out of the triple.

After that, unscrew the retaining bolts that hold the speedo cable in place

Then you can snake it up and out of the way of the triples. Be sure to double check that the forks and the brakes and brake lever are completely cleared of all wires and harnesses, whatever.

Also, slide off the blinker and headlight retainers.

Now it's time to pull the forks. Get a rag, unless you don't care about your stock parts, and cover the nut that has like 5 divots in it and lightly tap it with a screwdriver and a hammer until you can feel it get loose enough that you can use your hands. Then, hold the forks from the bottom triple and unscrew the nut. This is the ONLY thing holding the forks up now so be careful.

And here's the stock front end, removed from the bike.

So here's your bike after the front end is gone. Try riding it...

Next, remove the screws that hold on the headlight and look for the 2 bolts that fell into the housing when you originally took off the headlight. Then undo the wires for the blinkers since you can't really use them right now. Also be sure to put some tape over the wires and label them so you know right from left.

Phew! Easy huh? Now you can put your new forks on...or at least see what they look like on the bike.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
SuaveNotion

D'Ecosse,

What do you suggest as shim material? Thin sheet of aluminum?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
D'Ecosse
Titanium Member

Bikes: 03 SV650S; Custom Triumph Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveNotion View Post
... What do you suggest as shim material? Thin sheet of aluminum?
I assume you mean for the fork legs in the triple clamp?

It is specifically designated as shim stock - ideally 0.5mm but if you can't find metric 20 thou" will be good enough. Can be whatever you can find - brass is common.
If you can't find shim stock consider this
http://www.convertibars.com/Accessories.cfm - click on the link for additional completion components near the bottom - that is a kit with pre-formed shims. Those are actually 1mm & 2mm (that is the diameter delta designation - actually 0.5mm & 1mm stock) and intended to reduce 53mm to 52 or 51. But these are very close to the 54 you need and will re-form to that very small change on overall diameter.
D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #16
D'Ecosse
Titanium Member

For the wheels/rotors
Those are going to be some thick spacers - best machined as a one-piece
(I thought someone had done these at one time?) .

Here's what I did temporarily on my Triumph GSXR conversion

Then the final spacers were made

Note that these are only 1.5mm spacers - you will need 3.5mm (1/8" will get you close enough if can't find metric plate)
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #17
redmonkey

Bikes: SV'99 at the mo I don't know
Miles Kms: about 76xxx kms
Send a message via MSN to redmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ecosse View Post
For the wheels/rotors
Those are going to be some thick spacers - best machined as a one-piece
(I thought someone had done these at one time?) .

Here's what I did temporarily on my Triumph GSXR conversion

Then the final spacers were made

Note that these are only 1.5mm spacers - you will need 3.5mm (1/8" will get you close enough if can't find metric plate)
+1 i have these same spacers but mine are 2.5mm thick
heres a blueprint provided to me by someone on here can't remember who though sorry
I simply brought it to a machine shop and they hooked me up cost 30 bucks for both i think
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #18
D'Ecosse
Titanium Member

You have a 'Busa rim though redmonkey - that is NOT the layout for the GSXR wheel the OP is using

Using your drawing above:
ID = 100.2
PCD = 120mm - 5 x 10.5 x 72deg
OD = (ideally whatever OD of wheel hub is) - something around 140mm

Thickness - 3.5mm (1/8" would be OK)

Last edited by D'Ecosse; 12-17-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #19
SuaveNotion

So then i'll need 2 right? One for each rotor, then a separate spacer for the rim, correct?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #20
D'Ecosse
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveNotion View Post
So then i'll need 2 right? One for each rotor, then a separate spacer for the rim, correct?
yes ......... & the shims for the fork legs in the triple also.
Ideally you should get an '08 Hayabusa axle - that one will be a little short - but can work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement