Cool Story on a Cool Girl Racing an SV - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Go Back   Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums > Main Category > Motorcycle Talk
New User? Register - Forgot Password
Register Forums FAQ Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance Advertise

Motorcycle Talk Our main message forum catering to the Suzuki SV and general motorcycle chatter.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
OldGuyOnBlu
Supporting Member

Miles Kms: Motorcycles, MC roadracing, backpacking, hunting
Cool Story on a Cool Girl Racing an SV

I thought eveyrone might be interested in reading a story about a 17-year-old girl who has taken up roadracing -- on an SV of course.

She's a an awfully nice kid.

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/p...=2008811120316
Blue; 1st Gen Naked: Silver; #123, 1st gen. race/track bike (RIP): Ol Yeller; #123 2nd gen race/track bike (gone to a new home with a young racer): Mr Buell: white w/blue Buell 1125r; 2014 BMW r1200GS.

Last edited by OldGuyOnBlu; 11-13-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: correcing link
OldGuyOnBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
fafaforza

Bikes: '01 SV650, '05 CRF250X, '06 SV1000S
Miles Kms: 50000
Re: Cool Story on a Cool Girl Racing an SV

Linky no worky.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
ShaggyZ

Bikes: Copper crunch
Miles Kms: 39k

The link got truncated where the ellipses are. I'm wondering if this is the same girl that started out as a 12 or 14 year or something around there.
CMRA Expert #98 (formerly 908 )
ShaggyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
r3t1awr3yd
Lifer

Bikes: SV650K7
Miles Kms: 67.5k mi
Send a message via AIM to r3t1awr3yd

link no workie for me
Wally: website | wedding project | facebook | twitter | myBand
r3t1awr3yd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
bighammer

Bikes: 2004 SV650 Yellow

Try this one.

Very cool article, thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
OldGuyOnBlu
Supporting Member

Miles Kms: Motorcycles, MC roadracing, backpacking, hunting

Thanks Hammer

I don't know what went wrong when I copied it over.

I'll try to go in anf fix it.
Blue; 1st Gen Naked: Silver; #123, 1st gen. race/track bike (RIP): Ol Yeller; #123 2nd gen race/track bike (gone to a new home with a young racer): Mr Buell: white w/blue Buell 1125r; 2014 BMW r1200GS.
OldGuyOnBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
ASCSurveyor

Quote:
Crain, who is a cheerleader at Licking Valley High School...
There's a joke there... somewhere...

ASCSurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
dan46n2
BannedCampCounselor

Bikes: 02 SV, 08 200 XCW
Miles Kms: not enough

IIRC, her father, Wendell Crain, is a member on this board.
dan46n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
eddiemon
Chief Greeter

Bikes: 07 SV650 - 86 atc250R - 85 BW200

In case the link doesn't work: A racing family, good story.

HANOVER -- Casey Crain is not your typical 17-year-old high school senior.

Crain, who is a cheerleader at Licking Valley High School and attends the Career and Technology Education Centers of Licking County, is in her first year of motorcycle roadracing.

The fact she's a female in a male-dominated sport has raised more than a few eyebrows, but Crain has won the admiration and the respect of her peers.

"Every single race, I have to face older guys," Crain said. "But after they see me race, they come away very impressed, and really, I think once they see me race they are amazed that girl can do so well."

Crain, who races on a Suzuki SV650 at Fasttrax -- a club racing and motorcycle performance and training center with its home track at Nelsons Ledges Road Course in Garrettsville -- already has finished second in the competitive Medium Twins novice class, and was third in GT II novice, another competitive class.

"Most of her competitors are older, more seasoned racers, and male," said Todd Karam, Fasttrax director of racing. "But I think Casey taught them never to underestimate a determined and talented female."

Crain added, "I never thought I would do this well, and I can't wait until next year."

Racing has been in the Crain family for some time -- Casey Crain grew up watching her father, Wendell, and brother, Broderick, race in the Fasttrax Series.

After getting her motorcycle license and riding a motorcycle on the street, Crain said she just decided she wanted to try racing.

"It's been a family thing with my dad and brother involved in it," Crain said. "I kind of like going fast on my motorcycle, and I thought I wanted to try it.

"At first, I wasn't sure if I could go as fast as I need to go and still compete. I was nervous and didn't know if I was cut out for it or not. But each time I got on the track it became easier."

Crain really became comfortable with the sport after she wrecked the first time -- that happened in one of her first races, and she was apprehensive after that. Thanks to her dad's help, she was able to overcome her fears.

"My dad kept telling me that I had to wreck at least once to get over feeling invincible," Crain said. "Before I wrecked, I didn't think anything like that would happen. I just went out there and raced without thinking."

Her dad is her chief mechanic and keeps her bike running smoothly. Her brother fixes the body work on her bike when it goes down.

"I definitely couldn't do what I do without them," said Crain, who is enrolled in the medical office administration program at C-TEC.

With the winter months coming on, Crain is excited for the season to start back up in March. She wants to keep improving and move up in the racing series.

"I'd like to take it as far as I can go," Crain said. "I'm hoping to gain some sponsors and go from there."
Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Tarpoon

Bikes: 2008 SV650 ABS
Miles Kms: 400

Good for her, and props to the father and mother.
Tarpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement